Sky Blue 69 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it begins again. After the Silver 60 sold, I found this 6/69 Fj40 in San Antonio. It has a 350 conversion mated to the stock Toyota 3spd. (WHY????) I am really not a fan of conversions as the wiring is always messy and it is always a treat to see the variances in workmanship on swaps.

I bought this because the paint is 10+ years old (some crazing in paint and some small areas of rust) and hiding very little. Just enough rust to believe it is telling you that that is all there is! Original floors with all captive hardware. Never had a rollbar (only holes in the floor are for the jump seats)! Frame is perfect! Dash is complete and uncut. It was painted a year incorrect Sky Blue but it is growing on me.

The top will need the most work resto wise. Sides and hatch are good but the cap will most likely need a new drip rail.

Here it is as bought and transported to Houston.
IMG_2052.JPG

Next, was taking inventory and stripping the top for repair. If there is one benefit to living in Houston it is convertible weather year round!!! Storing the parts for now as I am going to drive it in increasing distances to learn its needs and wants.

IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG

As expected... Wiring!

XFWB1249.PNG

I must admit, the conversion is quite fun! With top and doors off I'm guessing it is maybe #3000? So much POWER!!! never had an experiance like that in a Toyota!

...and Christmas! 5 new BFG KO2 33/10.5/15s with 4 new stock steelies (came with a decent spare). Got them painted up today. Going to mount them maybe next week. 2.5" - 3" lift maybe early January. I've always done OME lifts but am thinking alternatives with the lighter SBC up front.

KETZ0206.JPG
IMG_2230.JPG
IMG_2231.JPG

So it begins again. After the Silver 60 sold, I found this 6/69 Fj40 in San Antonio. It has a 350 conversion mated to the stock Toyota 3spd. (WHY????) I am really not a fan of conversions as the wiring is always messy and it is always a treat to see the variances in workmanship on swaps.

I bought this because the paint is 10+ years old (some crazing in paint and some small areas of rust) and hiding very little. Just enough rust to believe it is telling you that that is all there is! Original floors with all captive hardware. Never had a rollbar (only holes in the floor are for the jump seats)! Frame is perfect! Dash is complete and uncut. It was painted a year incorrect Sky Blue but it is growing on me.

The top will need the most work resto wise. Sides and hatch are good but the cap will most likely need a new drip rail.

Here it is as bought and transported to Houston.View attachment 1863154
Shouldn't be too bad as far as wiring. Those year cruisers didn't have much wiring to start with, and a 350 doesn't have much it needs to make it run. Looks like a nice cruiser overall. Im sure the tires and wheels will look nice.

@White Stripe Oh, Ive seen worse! Just a few shorts in the headlight circuit and a fried floor dimmer so far. The engine fires every time without much drama.

...also on the list of things scratched off the list already include: Backdating the signals to round style (preference) and new bib lights. Also a new dimmer switch and windshield knobs.

It currently has two driver side jump seats of mixed vintage that I am looking to solve soon. Anyone need a driver side 69 and older seat (two mounting bolt, long symetrical) or a 71-73? driver side long seat with the single mount tab and angled sides?

Made me a spacer to mount 33" tires on stock carrier. (thanks @POTATO LAUNCHER ). 1" square tube with a piece of 1" angle across the top. Had to also move it up to clear the latch. Looks good as far as clearances. Going to road test it for a week and see if it needs anything else.
IMG_2267.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2283.JPG

You should just use a spacer to mount oversize tires. Way easier and cleaner.. Just my .02

spacer.jpg

I did think that a spacer would work to move out past the hindges. But a spacer wouldn't help to move it up to clear the latch. This was admittedly a LOT more work and hassle BUT it was free and any excuse to weld something up is a good thing in my book.
IMG_2291.JPG

Liked what ya did. Looks awesome!! What paint are you using?

@1969FJ Toyota bolt pattern is same for 6 lug Chevys 6X5.5 (I believe).

@ceylonfj40nut Rust-o-Leum "Smoke Gray"

Put a lift on her. OME (light) with HFS 2.5" shackles. BFG 33/10.5 on factory steelies.

I love the look. I've done 5 or 6 lifts (all OME). This is the first time I paired it with the HFS shackles. I am a fan of the one piece design and multiple sizes. This girl is TALL!

...also tackled some missing pieces. This 40 came with 2 driver side jump seats. One was the correct straight edge, two hole mounting tabs and feet. The other was a 72-74 slant edge design. Found a cruiser yard in Wisconsin (he hasn't heard of Ih8mud YET!) and bought a set. needed to be cleaned up a bit.

Last edited:
And Brad from WI came though again with a rear heater!

Looks nice! Why did you change the turn signal lights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom