Shop/Garage lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Want to give some examples? Last guy I asked to provide examples showing Big Ass Lights have "insane markup" went silent.

I'm open to different types of lights, especially considering big ass lights just changed their "garage light" model, but I haven't seen a competitor to them yet.
I’m the guy you asked, and I replied in post 74. What else would you like to know?

If you haven’t seen a competitor, look above, I posted three!

Here’s an example: big ass lists their garage lights at 150,000 hours L70 (at 77 degrees f) Meaning after that amount of time the fixture will produce only 70% of the initial light (only if you use it at or below 77f). Who’s garage never goes above 77 degrees at the ceiling? not mine! My garage pushes 95 degrees in the summer. Add to that, the big ass is only 140 lumens per watt. So not very efficient.

I can buy a 12000 Lumen GE fixture for $120 that has an L70 @ 77 degrees of over 250,000 hours, and an L70 at 131 degrees of 100,000 hours. At these numbers, lumen decrease over time won’t even be noticeable. And the Ge fixture is 175 lumens per watt. Cheaper, better, uses less energy. Bang bang!

It’s not even about the hours, it’s about how much light is lost along the way. Based on temperature alone, your big ass lights WILL lose 10-15% of their light output in the first 5 years. To me, at any price, that is unacceptable. And the Home Depot price is a gouge.

I’m the guy you asked, and I replied in post 74. What else would you like to know?

If you haven’t seen a competitor, look above, I posted three!

Here’s an example: big ass lists their garage lights at 150,000 hours L70 (at 77 degrees f) Meaning after that amount of time the fixture will produce only 70% of the initial light (only if you use it at or below 77f). Who’s garage never goes above 77 degrees at the ceiling? not mine! My garage pushes 95 degrees in the summer. Add to that, the big ass is only 140 lumens per watt. So not very efficient.

I can buy a 12000 Lumen GE fixture for $120 that has an L70 @ 77 degrees of over 250,000 hours, and an L70 at 131 degrees of 100,000 hours. At these numbers, lumen decrease over time won’t even be noticeable. And the Ge fixture is 175 lumens per watt. Cheaper, better, uses less energy. Bang bang!

It’s not even about the hours, it’s about how much light is lost along the way. Based on temperature alone, your big ass lights WILL lose 10-15% of their light output in the first 5 years. To me, at any price, that is unacceptable. And the Home Depot price is a gouge.

My mistake. I now recall reading it (i even liked the post).

How do you purchase these lights? You listed the MFG info pages, and the "where to buy" doesn't link to any online store I can see, for my zipcode at least. One result per MFG. I assume this is the reason I put your response out of my mind, because I couldn't find an online retailer to purchase these from.

I'd love to purchase such a 12000 lumen GE fixture to compare against my Big Ass Lights. The story the numbers lay out makes sense to me.

Here's a website selling them for $155. Can't speak for Lightmart, found via Google, but the specs are right: 12L, 4000K, wide distribution, universal voltage, etc. and the price is still pretty good if you're just buying one to compare.

I buy mostly through distribution or direct from the factories when possible.

Here's a website selling them for $155. Can't speak for Lightmart, found via Google, but the specs are right: 12L, 4000K, wide distribution, universal voltage, etc. and the price is still pretty good if you're just buying one to compare.

I buy mostly through distribution or direct from the factories when possible.

Thanks for the link. Bought two, will review/compare and post up here with my opinions. Right off the bat, no mounting kit nor cable for $154, adding those to make it equivalent with the BA light brings the cost up to ~$200 a light. Still, you can get two of these for the single (old model) BA light cost. Promising.

When you buy through distribution/factories, what quantities are you talking about?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Bought two, will review/compare and post up here with my opinions. Right off the bat, no mounting kit nor cable for $154, adding those to make it equivalent with the BA light brings the cost up to ~$200 a light. Still, you can get two of these for the BA light. Promising.

When you buy through distribution/factories, what quantities are you talking about?
They won't be as pretty as yours, but they will perform. Average project is probably 200,000sf with 215 highbays. We do push through small projects with orders in the 10-20s of fixtures total count. Total counts are hard to figure, but we buy lights for about 50MSF of warehouse/year. Our typical fixture is 24-30,000 lumens, because mounting heights are 32-40' AFF.

They don't need to be pretty, just functional. Thanks for guiding this lighting layman through the process :cheers:

They don't need to be pretty, just functional. Thanks for guiding this lighting layman through the process :cheers:
Thanks for the continued discourse. My opinion is just that, but I do end up buying a lot of these things and it's helped form my view on it all. That said, I still have T8's in my garage! The lights just don't burn enough for me to justify the upgrade (that and we just moved and haven't tackled the new garage).

Thanks for the link. Bought two, will review/compare and post up here with my opinions. Right off the bat, no mounting kit nor cable for $154, adding those to make it equivalent with the BA light brings the cost up to ~$200 a light. Still, you can get two of these for the single (old model) BA light cost. Promising.

How'd the GEs turn out?! @GLTHFJ60

In unrelated news, prices continue to fall in my world, rapidly. Hoping to get a public-facing weblink as part of a deal I'm working on. Could be helpful to us garage types.

I haven't had a chance to install them yet. They ended up arriving right as I started an involved camper project.

When I get them installed, I'll be sure to post up my thoughts!!

I recently installed twelve of these LED light fixtures in the garage (in three rows of four):

43GwnK0.jpg

Very happy with the results.

Thanks for the continued discourse. My opinion is just that, but I do end up buying a lot of these things and it's helped form my view on it all. That said, I still have T8's in my garage! The lights just don't burn enough for me to justify the upgrade (that and we just moved and haven't tackled the new garage).
I'm in the same boat with T-8s in my garage. Plenty of light, and the bulbs just don't burn out. That said, I just put in the equivalent LED box store fixtures in the GF's garage, and they're so bright that it makes me jump when I flip the switch. 😃 They're pretty awesome, and a relatively cheap way to brighten things up.

Just an FYI -- I bought a couple of these for 'Directly Over the Work Surface' and they are awesome. Extruded Alum housing. Very impressed with how bright and seemingly well-built. 5000 lumen, rated ... I had a couple of the 2-ft Fluorescents and there is no comparison.

I ran back before the end of the sale to get another for over the Washer/Dryer (which usually doubles as a work surface, too! ;) )

I'm going to fab up something (perhaps with super magnets) so I can also use one as an under-hood light. Far far brighter than any other under-hood light on the market. The Aluminum housing makes this a very light (no pun) fixture.

$19 with coupon.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wow, that’s crazy good. I hope everyone who needs one sees this. These have REALLY helped motivate me to organize my shop.

I've been wanting a couple more. Thanks.

I put 8' T12 HO lights in my shop twenty years ago. Some of the ballasts are starting to go out. I was starting to look into these LED replacements that are "ballast bypass" but it looks like supplies are dwindling with the COVID issues. Still plan on moving ahead with this, but expect it will be delayed a bit.

Amazon product ASIN B07JG6X1H2

I put 8' T12 HO lights in my shop twenty years ago. Some of the ballasts are starting to go out. I was starting to look into these LED replacements that are "ballast bypass" but it looks like supplies are dwindling with the COVID issues. Still plan on moving ahead with this, but expect it will be delayed a bit.

Amazon product ASIN B07JG6X1H2

I personally am not a fan of the ballast bypass method when replacing tubes. Nothing to do with the LED's themselves.

In my opinion putting line voltage on the tombstones in the existing light fixture is not a good idea. Most of those tombstones are only rated for around 660 watts, there are some that are rated higher but not many. If you're wiring line voltage to the tombstones at 120v on a 15 or 20 amp breaker (1800-2400 watts) you are asking to melt down a tombstone, opening up the possibility of starting a fire. I've seem way too many melted tombstones.

To the best of my knowledge tombstones aren't listed for that use. I discourage the practice wherever I work, I insist everyone replace the ballast and LED tubes at the same time if the ballast is bad.

Strictly my opinion, and there are many that differ from mine, including arguments for the ballast bypass.

I personally am not a fan of the ballast bypass method when replacing tubes. Nothing to do with the LED's themselves.

In my opinion putting line voltage on the tombstones in the existing light fixture is not a good idea. Most of those tombstones are only rated for around 660 watts, there are some that are rated higher but not many. If you're wiring line voltage to the tombstones at 120v on a 15 or 20 amp breaker (1800-2400 watts) you are asking to melt down a tombstone, opening up the possibility of starting a fire. I've seem way too many melted tombstones.

To the best of my knowledge tombstones aren't listed for that use. I discourage the practice wherever I work, I insist everyone replace the ballast and LED tubes at the same time if the ballast is bad.

Strictly my opinion, and there are many that differ from mine, including arguments for the ballast bypass.

I had to look up 'Tombstones' for lighting... :) Ok, the end sockets the lights slip into...

Makes sense. I'm all about the safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom