Shop/Garage lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still a few shadows here and there, but for the most part it's pretty bright!

20161028_092307.jpg

Specs please.

Specs please.

Went from 2 builder grade lights to 36 4' T8 bulbs, housed in 9 8' fixtures for over 100,000 lumens. Gloss light gray epoxy floor and semi gloss walls reflect the light around! 3 car garage, around 600 sq ft.

Sarge is right on, that higher color temp flourescents can be too harsh.

One of my 7yr old 4' T12 fixtures recently quit working. I replaced it with a 4' LED unit from the Home Depot. They are super bright, use less juice, throw out less heat and have a nice warm color. Hopefully they will have a long service life.

Hard to argue against Coolerman's porcelin solution. Simple and reliable, just like a Land Cruiser.

I love my shop. There is nothing like having space to work without tripping over everything. However, recently I have not spent more than 1 minute a day in it. (Pull in, park, go to house basement to work on wiring...)

The screw in compact florescent bulbs are a cheap and easy to maintain solution. If I want to go brighter, I can get a screw in doubler and run two bulbs from one socket but really don't see the need. (I ran 12ga wire so each circuit can easily handle double lights.) Task lighting makes up for any lighting deficiencies.

When I finally get to body work I plan to get some 4' LED lights to mount on a couple of mobile stands that can be moved around as needed.

Jetranger: 100,000 lumens in 600 sq feet! That is super BRIGHT!

Went from 2 builder grade lights to 36 4' T8 bulbs, housed in 9 8' fixtures for over 100,000 lumens. Gloss light gray epoxy floor and semi gloss walls reflect the light around! 3 car garage, around 600 sq ft.

I spent three months scrubbing machine shop oil from the PO off my shop floor before painting it in light gray epoxy. It WAS nice. I posted a pic in my warehouse fire thread that shows the one intact part that was preserved under the front counter.

Maybe I should do a follow up once I finish tearing down the old office before I put up the new pallet racks.

Last edited:
I should edit my original post... the bulbs I have are slowly dying - one of which was an extreme fire hazard.

At some point I plan to swap them out for LED corn bulbs....

Mark, my lights are just average Joe 6' bulbs. I just have a lot of them. My shop is a cobbled together pole barn now but I'm pouring a adjacent 26x14 soon that is hiding under the guise of a basketball pad until I can convert it to a shop with a lift.

IMG_7068.JPG

Night shot from a couple weeks ago - E and W walls have 5 fluorescent 2-bulb fixtures....center has 3 fluorescent 4 bulb fixtures...all have ballasts removed and are running bulbs from Lifetime LED.

Walkway also has 5 2-bulb LED pullchain fixtures from Costco....will be adding one or two more in the sink area too.

Light coverage is excellent, and once the ceiling gets finished off (insulation is done, metalwork next) it will be even brighter.

20170102_201031.jpg

In my new shop, I was going to put in LED's from the get-go, but the electrician was adamant that these fluorescent banks (four tubes per bank) would give better lighting, so I went with his recommendation. They seem fairly bright, but I have lots of outlets for task lighting too, and the 2-post lift I'm installing will have daisy-chain task lights that can plug straight into the lift. When the fluorescent tubes fail, I'll likely replace them with LED. Also have epoxy coating for the floor scheduled, which should reflect some light too.

I guess no one cares about the cost to run the lights.

Even fluorescent tubes are cheap to run; my current shop (not my new one above) has nine double fixtures, each one is two 8'-long T-12 tubes. Can run them all day long, plus stereo, exhaust fans, air compressor, and my whole office built into one corner, for $30-40/month. I know because it's on a separate meter from the house. LED's would be even cheaper to run.

Even fluorescent tubes are cheap to run; my current shop (not my new one above) has nine double fixtures, each one is two 8'-long T-12 tubes. Can run them all day long, plus stereo, exhaust fans, air compressor, and my whole office built into one corner, for $30-40/month. I know because it's on a separate meter from the house. LED's would be even cheaper to run.
Yea, but you're in a deregulated power market, paying $0.06/kWh with zero demand charges. Us east and west coast folks are more than double almost triple that.

I spent three months scrubbing machine shop oil from the PO off my shop floor before painting it in light gray epoxy. It WAS nice. I posted a pic in my warehouse fire thread that shows the one intact part that was preserved under the front counter.

Maybe I should do a follow up once I finish tearing down the old office before I put up the new pallet racks.
Let's talk about your lighting.

Let's talk about your lighting.

When I get to that point, we surely will. I imagine your consulting rates are a out the same as mine.;)

Yea, but you're in a deregulated power market, paying $0.06/kWh with zero demand charges. Us east and west coast folks are more than double almost triple that.

I’m more concerned about the 250A MIG, 250A TIG, 85A plasma, 5hp compressor, and a number of 5hp woodworking machines than I am about the lighting. Even there, my shop time might raise my monthly bill $10 to $15 if I’m really out there working on things.

He's what I have, they were 5 bucks a piece with the bulb. I bought all he had, would have liked to had enough to put 4 on each rafter.
DSCN0548.JPG
a contractor ordered a sh!t pot full of these and he needed to get rid of them. I put 4 on the rafters that will be in the hang out, drink beer and talk about what your going to do room. When I get it closed in.
DSCN0508.JPG
They do pretty good for just having 1 bulb, they have been up now for a little better then a yr. They come right on in the coldest of days in Louisiana winter, and they don't draw hardly any juice. The bulb on the bottom is what they are loaded with.
DSCN0553.JPG
Got these the other day for fixin the oiler on a Husky, can't have to many lights.
DSCN0551.JPG

Proof
A4365AF7-DAC7-44AB-9593-B28314FCB62E.jpeg
C03FDFF6-B2F4-4310-A333-DD8256DE3BDF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom