Selectable diff locker debate (aftermarket). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To keep it all Toyota use a semi float rear axle from a 91-92 and weld on the knuckle balls from a standard 80 front axle like @raisinghell2 did on the front axle of his all Toyota DNA Buggy
Yes, I read about it for a couple hours last night.

To keep it all Toyota use a semi float rear axle from a 91-92 and weld on the knuckle balls from a standard 80 front axle like @raisinghell2 did on the front axle of his all Toyota DNA Buggy
No, don't do this. If you're going to waste this much time, have a custom housing fabricated for Toyota parts

No, don't do this. If you're going to waste this much time, have a custom housing fabricated for Toyota parts
No not me, I'm happy with the 8" high pinyon.
There was three other Yota's in the group at JV that weekend all with 8" high pinyons on 38s 39s and 40s all with out issue. some how Steve's sh*t the bed on 37s 🤷‍♂️ First day before the rest of us even got there.😝

Just out of curiosity, what's something like that set a guy back?

There was three other Yota's in the group at JV that weekend all with 8" high pinyons on 38s 39s and 40s all with out issue. some how Steve's sh*t the bed on 37s 🤷‍♂️ First day before the rest of us even got there.😝
4Runners are lighter rigs. I’ve done a lot of beating on mine since 2014 with no problems either. Maybe my luck ran out or maybe there was wear induced by the over loading it has endured over this 8years Which allowed enough deflection for the gear teeth to let go. I don’t know.

More than the size of the front diff, the issue lies in the weight of the vehicle.

4Runners are lighter rigs. I’ve done a lot of beating on mine since 2014 with no problems either. Maybe my luck ran out or maybe there was wear induced by the over loading it has endured over this 8years Which allowed enough deflection for the gear teeth to let go. I don’t know.

More than the size of the front diff, the issue lies in the weight of the vehicle.
I'm sure weight does play a roll but so does tire size, my 80 must be close to the same weight. everyone else was running 5.29s your running 4.88 they say those are stronger. who knows sh*t happens

On the video claiming their "locker remains locked when reversing, etc", I would make a point. Yes the locker remains locked, but the issue I have is that the locker (when locked) allows freewheeling tire rotation when changing directions. So, yes they are technically correct, but full throttle low range hits hard with that much slack, and that's what would worry me. Like saying my front door on my house is locked, but it can be pushed 3" either direction before the deadbolt stops it, due to a unique door jamb I've designed...

So, yes they are technically correct, but full throttle low range hits hard with that much slack, and that's what would worry me.

Good point.

Just out of curiosity, what's something like that set a guy back?
Just the housing probably 1.5-2.5k

Fully built axle probably 5-7k

At that point why not go big boy parts?

F(diff requirements)=driver*trails*gearing*horsepower*tractive force

Probably some of that involved.
Bottom line is that it’s working well for me.
I have a lot of time work and money wrapped up in the OEM 8” axle.
If I’m going to make a move to big boy stuff it will be in the form of a Buggy V8 power bigger axles the works.
Something along the line’s of a all around trail Buggy like a IBEX Goat Built or something similar 😉

Just the housing probably 1.5-2.5k

Fully built axle probably 5-7k

At that point why not go big boy parts?
I guess if I was going to go that nuts, probably just build up a set of Dana 60's and be done with it.

The issue I had before you got there was a broken spring in a brand new Aisin hub. Not much of a problem.

why do you flip the bird to selectable lockers?
they really only work well when going in a straight line. Anything else and they are horrible. In snow and locked if you turn the wheel you are going in a straight line. Off camber on a hill and you are going sideways. All 4 tires are linked and rotating at the same RPM. And it you need to have 1 tire climb a rock or tree stump the other 3 tires are going to create drive line bind and inhibit forward progress and possibly break something.

Kaiser lockers bias torque based on the individual tires RPM. This minimizes drive line bind and greatly enhances maneuverability in all situations especially high traction ones like in Moab.

didn't read the whole thread and I'm an outlier on the topic but...

🖕selectable lockers! I've had e-lockers and now have Kaiser auto lockers front and rear and will never build another personal rig without them.
Cool but why Kaiser vs ARB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom