Second guessing my Amsoil grease choice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, as usual, I've begun to overthink things. Just read numerous grease and lube threads which only compounds the overthinking.
In the middle of my front brake and hub refresh. I bought a few tubes of this Amsoil grease (#GPTR2CR), pics below. The previous Amsoil grease I had been using is now a discontinued part #, this stuff is supposed to compatible similar stuff.
Now that I am re-reading the info on the packaging and the Amsoil website...this stuff seems more suited to heavier, slower moving chassis components...not so much higher speed wheel bearings. Also, at first glance and feel, this grease seems pretty heavy and tacky for wheel bearing usage.

I'm wondering if their Synthetic Multi-purpose grease (#GLCCR-EA) is more suitable to wheel bearings. I sent an email to Amsoil, hopefully they will clarify.

Anyone have any relevant experience?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Proper birf grease is a mind game, you might end up with a pretty pill mix.

file.php

Last edited:
That Amsoil grease specifically doesn't mention wheel bearings because it isn't suitable for wheel bearings.

You can't go wrong using the grease below. It's suitable for everything on the cruiser. Birfs, bearings, slip joints, ball joints, spiders.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• synpower_grease.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
That Amsoil grease specifically doesn't mention wheel bearings because it isn't suitable for wheel bearings.

You can't go wrong using the grease below. It's suitable for everything on the cruiser. Birfs, bearings, slip joints, ball joints, spiders.

View attachment 1317241

OS-
That valvoline looks like a good option. Have you found it on the shelf at any parts store chains? Probably give that one a look.

I only went with the Amsoil because it's what's all over the truck now, but I've run out and the previous part code for that grease has been discontinued. The old Amsoil stuff I cleaned out of the hubs looks and smells (yes, smells) like new. Good stuff.
Don't think the guy at Amsoil knew the correct equivalent product. Their other multi purpose stuff looks like the way to go...or the Valvoline.
I looked again at the new grease in the tubes...no way I'm packing a wheel bearing with it. Looks the kind of sticky stuff that would work well on a fifth wheel plate.

I emailed their product support for more clarification.

I've used that valvoline grease in knuckle rebuilds my 60's and my 40, and I'll be using it when I rebuild my 45's knuckles this winter. Can't go wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. I think every big chain carries it.

I'm in CA & have two PepBoys within five miles from me. They stock it here. But they only keep like 2 or three tubes in stock in the store. The O'Reilly's here don't carry it. You can always find it at Amazon. I keep several tubes of it as backup stock.

Something to be said about being able to buy something off the shelf when needed.
Will be shopping around local tomorrow. Thanks again for the suggestion.

That Amsy grease is actually exactly the wheel-bearing spec Toyota calls for: NLGI #2 Li-Based grease. The only thing I don't see is a high-temp rating.

FWIW, the Amsoil site does list it for wheel bearings, but as OS noted, it's prolly not optimum since they specially leave it off the packaging flak...

I personally like (and get) the tub of Mobil 1 avail at Vatozone, for wheel bearings.

I've always been partial to Lucas red and tacky, maybe it's just me, it has more of a quality feel to it if you know what I'm talking about, when you get it on your hands verses other grease. I've never had a part fail that I've used it on.... yet

Toyota recommends a moly grease for birfields - and that is readily available as the 'Ford Lincoln Mercury chassis grease' sold at every chain store. It will say (somewhere on the tube) that it contains moly sulfide in the grease.

MS.png

So, I heard back from Amsoil tech support, pretty much supporting what others have said and I was thinking.

Reply...

"Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your question.

The Polymeric Off-Road Grease is the only grease we have with Moly in it but it’s not designed as a CV Joint grease. It is meant for slow moving, off-road equipment. We don’t technically have a grease for CV’s but for those Toyota joints, people have used the grease you purchased. It could be used in wheel bearings as well, however the Multi-Purpose Grease (GLC) would be the best high-speed, high-temp grease for automotive wheel bearings.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us."

Regardless of what the tech said, the stuff I bought does not look good for wheel bearings. So I picked up a couple tubs of the Valvoline Syn grease at an Advance Auto Parts, also plan to order a couple tubes for the grease gun...
image.jpeg

@SteveH, I looked at that stuff, pretty sure thats the same grease, just in the non-synth version. Almost bought that too.

So "Off Road" is used to describe bulldozers, excavators, big yellow brand or green brand machinery, etc....not light duty 4x4 passenger vehicles that play in the dirt, and drive at highway speeds.

Careful what your using.

Lately I've been happy with Chevron grease, but working at the refinery makes it pretty much free(but don't tell anyone).

I packed my wheel bearings, knuckle bearings, and birfields with Chevron NLGI #2 grease about 6000km ago, everything is working great. I'm no certified lube engineer, but I'm fairly sure that as long as it meets the "NLGI #" grade, it's considered appropriate for whatever application that particular NLGI # is designed for. Kind of like all API-certified 5W-30 is considered appropriate for use in engines that require that type of oil. We use Chevron NLGI 1 or 2 on all wheel bearing repack jobs at our shop and have never had an issue. Also, don't worry too much about the grease being thick and tacky. That's at room temperature, but as it heats up it does thin out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom