Moly grease colour for CV joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought this stuff thinking it would be grey in colour but it's brown. Can i use this to pack the birf and housing? Has anyone used this before? Does the colour matter?
IMG20231023150611.jpg

IMG20231023150621.jpg

Color doesn’t matter but the ingredients are super critical.
Whatever old grease is in your knuckle cavity, the new grease needs to be similar. If it’s not, the disimilar greases with mix and LIQUIFY. You’ll get oil oozing out eventually.

CRC Molygraph grease is a time proven winner.

875604BF-742A-4F8E-9437-C8D60895514D.jpeg

Last edited:
What makes it "moly"? This stuff has 3% molybdenum disulfide content, which was the main reason I thought this would do the job
The moly version of the EP2 has moly, I don’t think (I could be wrong) that the version you have has any. Moly is almost always black in some manner. For your application it may or may not even matter

The moly version of the EP2 has moly, I don’t think (I could be wrong) that the version you have has any. Moly is almost always black in some manner. For your application it may or may not even matter
Ok thanks for your help...this is a minefield to the uninitiated 😅

Looking at the Mobil website is confusing: It says Mobil EP2 does have moly. If I google Mobilux EP2 moly the tube you posted turns up, sometimes.

Is there a different flavor that is moly, I can't tell. Generally, any grease that is 'EP' (extreme pressure) has moly and other pressure additives.

Mobil lists it as a general purpose industrial grease. It's probably fine for the birf but I've never used that. I either use Mobil 1 or Red-line, but don't know what's available to you in the Netherlands.

Color doesn't mean anything. Red-Line 5% moly is red.

If grease has moly it will be black, or at least blackish, and more opaque.

High pressure greases tend to be lithium soap based. High temperature are clay based. The different types should never be mixed as it degrades both types. The manual calls for lithium in the joints and birfs and for clay in the wheel bearings (if with disk brakes).

I've run all of one type of both types in various Cruisers over the decades; meaning using wheel bearing spec in birfs and birf spec in wheel bearings. So long as they aren't mixed the only criteria my Cruisers seems to care about is whether they had enough lube. Type didn't matter. When I rebuild a truck now I use lithium soap based with moly in everything. If there is a long term wear issue, changing wheel bearings is no big deal compared to birfs, rod ends, and U-joints.

If you're running 35's with a 6.0 V8, you may have a different experience.

Redline grease with Moly is red and good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom