FJ60 Grease On Front Hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LosAZ

SILVER Star
Threads
My 84 has grease on the front hub. Is this normal or does it imply something needs repair? Attached is a picture.

IMG_6512.jpeg

If you don’t know the last time the wheel bearings and hubs were serviced — it’s time.
Service schedule interval for front bearings and hubs is every 3 years or 30,000 miles.

If you don’t know the last time the wheel bearings and hubs were serviced — it’s time.
Service schedule interval for front bearings and hubs is every 3 years or 30,000 miles.
Yes, it is time to schedule. What is involved with this service?

Does anyone use a thin smear of RTV on the hub face along with the paper gasket?

I’ve had some light dusting of grease residue on otherwise brand new knuckle/bearing job with brand new Asian hubs too. I thought it was curious, but somewhat “normal”

I would first clean it up with brake clean or equivalent and see if it happens again. It could be that someone had greasy hands when they last installed the hubs. If it persists, I would check the other side of the wheel o the birfied ball and knuckle to see if they are seeping as well. If dry, then i would put a new hub seal or just drive it. You will know a bad leak when oil/grease gets flung radially on your rim face.

That looks like standard road grime to me, clean it off as suggested and monitor. The back of the hub on the ball is where you really get a sense of it failing. Mine had a 2-3cm cake of old oil, grease and dirt welded to everything. Also when I pulled my locking hub cap, it was filled will gear oil so I knew my axle seal was hosed.

more than likely the inner axle seal is failing, allowing gear lube to thin out the grease used for the birf's/wheel bearings and letting it sneak past the paper gasket. What does it look like on the knuckle side behind the tire? If its all gooey back there and dripping from the bottom trunnion cap then it's time for a rebuild. Otherwise I'd just send it on down the road until its worse. That's not that bad at all.

If it looks like this pic, it’s time for a rebuild.

IMG_4448.jpeg

There's a paper gasket under that hub dial, and some weeping of grease is normal. Be sure the dial bolts are tight (not super-tight - don't snap off the heads) and wipe off the film, and move on. If your knuckles need rebuilding, that's a different problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom