SAS SAS #3 Official Thread 2019 (2 Viewers)

SAS #3 Color choices

• Capri Blue

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Pollux Orange

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Olive Green

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Spring Green

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Cadet Blue

• Dune Beige

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Rustic Green

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Freeborn Red

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Yellow / Mustard

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really hope to make this next year!
I'm not far, just need the vacation time....

Yes ma’am it’s amazing to learn when your young, because after that it’s all just experience right?! I did Owl Creek pass on Wednesday. It was pretty fun driving up and watching all the washboards and picking my lines! Definitely can’t wait to do some “actual” trails next year in the 40 (Oh and manual transmission too ;)). I guess we’ll both be the noobs next year!
I was gonna see about ding Owl Creek as well... lol. But I was enjoying the ride. Hehehe...
I have not heard of this 40 yet.... sounds PERFECT for #4, and those 40s need to come out and play!
Which 40? :grinpimp: There’s 3 of them currently in the family, two of which we plan on bringing up to #4. I guess cruisers really are a disease :rofl:
YAY!!!!!! 😎 the more the merrier! Happy to hear you have 3 in the family and that they are in good hands! 👍🏼

Going through some pics, missing Ouray already.

P8050049.JPG

P8050066.JPG

P8050119.JPG

P8050015.JPG

P8050036.JPG

^^^
Yep...miss Ouray, even this part.

19575BB8-A4E3-46A0-8B0A-44B564D7E538.jpeg

16A9035A-07F5-46C3-924B-AEF96467AB59.jpeg

D22DE37D-25A9-4BCE-9660-19D8BDFEF498.jpeg

^^^
And especially this part.

3EE46929-E8C6-427C-B2A5-40D661B36771.jpeg

0B843658-398F-4DEE-97C7-F82FCADB110D.jpeg

Thanks to Casey, all the Johnsons, Cd as well as all the participants, supporters, and vendors. A incredible event that is really special. We are looking forward to SAS4 and may even have a little one joining us.

Incredible time and made a trip my wife and I will always remember.

Just made it home yesterday after 4,946 miles. We cut our trip short a few days as my wife wasn’t feeling good and I didn’t want to push my luck even further!

Our venture to Los Angeles only lasted 2 hours as the Airbnb we booked was a total fail. No worries though, it was pretty hilarious and we made the best of it driving non stop back to Grand Junction!

AB0A0612-3439-4DC6-BFF1-61002D3DF7EA.jpeg

1B51F065-A592-495A-A9FA-C46AC167B970.jpeg

D023C1B1-C1D2-49C5-880C-D927757010E3.jpeg

F6DA7C1D-4C0C-4BF2-9927-92F4715099A2.jpeg

4B4B675B-BC14-492A-B832-51EB8C6C05EE.jpeg

Thanks to Casey, all the Johnsons, Cd as well as all the participants, supporters, and vendors. A incredible event that is really special. We are looking forward to SAS4 and may even have a little one joining us.

Just made it home yesterday after 4,946 miles. We cut our trip short a few days as my wife wasn’t feeling good and I didn’t want to push my luck even further!

Our venture to Los Angeles only lasted 2 hours as the Airbnb we booked was a total fail. No worries though, it was pretty hilarious and we made the best of it driving non stop back to Grand Junction!

View attachment 2058325

View attachment 2058335

View attachment 2058336

View attachment 2058337

View attachment 2058338
Sorry the trip to LA didn't work out. It was great to meet you two. Looking forward to more trips where we will meet again. Your wife is very cool and very tough. I hope everything is great waiting for your new Land Cruiser lover to enter this world!

Kay and I arrived home late Tuesday afternoon. We spent three nights at Cayton Campground just south of Lizard Head Pass. Drove up past Bolam Pass and back to camp Saturday, including a hike part way along the Colorado Trail. Sunday we did a loop up Scotch Creek, down towards Purgatory Ski Area, then up over Bolam Pass and down to camp, including a hike along another section of the Colorado Trail. We talked to several people backpacking the trail we had seen the day before. Monday we hiked part of the Lizard Head Trail.

Colorado Trail northeast of Bolam Pass.

Bolam-Pass---CT.jpg

Lizard Head from Wilson Meadow Trail.

Lizard-Head.jpg

Back at home.

SAS-#3-Home.jpg

At the top of Scotch Creek.

Scotch-Creek-B.jpg

Looking north from the Scotch Creek 4WD road.

Scotch-Creek.jpg

My hat is off to all of you. What a fantastic gathering. I am so envious. Your photos are fabulous, but the San Juans are tough to mess up.

Very nostalgic to see a number of adventurous young families there on some rather long drives to get there. We logged a lot of those in our 62 when our kids were youngsters.

The photos are very familiar. We are in that area every year for a week or two but a month earlier. Spent a night in Ouray this year on our way to Telluride. So the photos are all familiar as we've explored all those treks, but mostly on foot. Some of the family has even done the day hike across Imogene Pass from Telluride. Some of you mentioned that the traffic on the trail was heavy. That has become a bigger problem in the last five years or so. It used to not be even close to that busy. I'm sure that other motorists were impressed to see a caravan of Land Cruisers, but also of the opinion that the trails are too crowded. We have also seen a large gathering of FJ Cruisers on the trails.

I'm not sure I'll ever make this event with our 62. Perhaps we'll tow the 62 up there with the late model Sequoia with a rig like @4Cruisers. In the mean time, I'll just admire all of your adventures there.

Last edited:

View attachment 2058325

View attachment 2058335

View attachment 2058336

View attachment 2058337

View attachment 2058338
keep us posted on the new Dispec! Great wheeling with you!

View attachment 2058325

View attachment 2058335

View attachment 2058336

View attachment 2058337

View attachment 2058338
keep us posted on the new Dispec! Great wheeling with you!

All,

Thought I would share this with you all. Great thanks to all who helped @rhah make it down Imogene after a night up at the summit after his axle shaft separated from his 3rd member with some internal carnage.

Thought it belongs here.

To all of you in the awesome community THANK YOU! Wouldnt have broken it on top of Imogene if it were not for this great event and I for sure wouldn’t not have gotten down without everyone coming together finding parts and getting them up to me! Huge thanks to Doug, James, and jimmy for their outstanding efforts

[Q
UOTE="Mesa Woman, post: 12539483, member: 144720"]
I am working on some videos from our adventure and I want to know what you think.... how long should these videos be? 10min, 20mins or I could easily do 30 mins.... what would you most likely watch? It will be a mixture of photos and shot video clips. I was going to do one day per video as I have a lot of footage.... here’s a few...oh and I will be including nature shots and the LOVELY flowers. So, guys who’s ladies did not come this year you can show them the beauty of nature as well as the beauty of the cruisers in nature. 😉🙃😊
I would greatly appreciate your feedback as most of you will be in the videos esp if you were on the trail with us.
✌🏽🙏🏼🌻
Here’s a few pics for now... View attachment 2057992

View attachment 2057994
Bill, @cornboy, looks like you chopped your rig, lol
View attachment 2057995

View attachment 2057996

View attachment 2057997
[/QUOTE]
I am working on some videos from our adventure and I want to know what you think.... how long should these videos be? 10min, 20mins or I could easily do 30 mins.... what would you most likely watch? It will be a mixture of photos and shot video clips. I was going to do one day per video as I have a lot of footage.... here’s a few...oh and I will be including nature shots and the LOVELY flowers. So, guys who’s ladies did not come this year you can show them the beauty of nature as well as the beauty of the cruisers in nature. 😉🙃😊
I would greatly appreciate your feedback as most of you will be in the videos esp if you were on the trail with us.
✌🏽🙏🏼🌻
Here’s a few pics for now... View attachment 2057992

View attachment 2057994
Bill, @cornboy, looks like you chopped your rig, lol
View attachment 2057995

View attachment 2057996

View attachment 2057997
I don't remember how long your videos were last year, but it didn't matter. I watched them all. I probably watched them twice and will be doing the same again this year. Thank you so much for putting these together. Jodi is anxious to see what she missed too.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,
I finally got some pics gathered up. Here is the Flickr link. 2019 Solid Axle Summit

If you see some shots you would like to get a high resolution image of just send me a message or email me at dougmcphotography@yahoo.com and we can work out a deal on multiple.

The digital 300 dpi group shot with a copyright release is also available for $15

The panoramic photos are 100-350 megapixel images and would print very large with no problem.

Hope you enjoy looking at them.

View attachment 2058325

View attachment 2058335

View attachment 2058336

View attachment 2058337

View attachment 2058338

Awesome to have met you and your wife. I have a shock bolt and washer to remember you by👀. It’s part of my truck’s DNA. Good thing you had a bag of bolts and nuts in your refrigerator🤪. Looking forward to more trail rides together. We are plotting a trip up to see @dogfishlake and @Ocho77. We need to hit Chitown on our way. Hoping to see you three in SAS4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom