Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Meant to mention I need defrost as much as heat esp. when my overworked panting dog(s) steam the windows up, you might need to tell your wife to hold her breath on cold days 😂. Looks like your windshield defrost ducts are MIA, they have become a bit of unicorn for replacement. Legroom is another key factor, those Hupp-like ones do consume passenger space. The factory heater for ‘65 was centered under the dash over the tranny hump.

Meant to mention I need defrost as much as heat esp. when my overworked panting dog(s) steam the windows up, you might need to tell your wife to hold her breath on cold days 😂. Looks like your windshield defrost ducts are MIA, they have become a bit of unicorn for replacement. Legroom is another key factor, those Hupp-like ones do consume passenger space. The factory heater for ‘65 was centered under the dash over the tranny hump.
I actually have the defrost ducts and the direction peices for the top too. Just have not put them back in because the heater hoses were shot and I was lazy to be honest. So no worries! Yeah If i could put somthing out of the way that would be ideal. That surplus store has some tempting deals though!

I came across this Fj40 on bring a trailer. I am using as kind of a visual guide for mine. I love the patina on this one too. and the color is cool. This one makes me almost want to rethink finding a original f engine for mine. I like how they painted the valve covers in the same color as the body and added a Holley efi kit to the SBC. . The valve covers and painted black block Makes the SBC in it look more original to the vehicle. 350-Powered 1967 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 4-Speed - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-25/ Has the seats I am going for too. Figured I would throw it on here so I would not forget the link. Also I cant beleive that crazy price it sold for.

I came across this Fj40 on bring a trailer. I am using as kind of a visual guide for mine. I love the patina on this one too. and the color is cool. This one makes me almost want to rethink finding a original f engine for mine. I like how they painted the valve covers in the same color as the body and added a Holley efi kit to the SBC. . The valve covers and painted black block Makes the SBC in it look more original to the vehicle. 350-Powered 1967 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 4-Speed - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-25/ Has the seats I am going for too. Figured I would throw it on here so I would not forget the link. Also I cant beleive that crazy price it sold for.

I think that was @ClemsonCruiser's.

Yep I loved that 40, great patina and history. I’m definitely a keep it all Toyota kind of guy but honestly that was the most fun I’ve ever had driving an old 40. Punching the throttle with the instant acceleration and the throaty sound of the V8 always left me smiling ear to ear 😎

That beauty now sits on a showroom floor a Toyota of Scranton in PA.

Yep I loved that 40, great patina and history. I’m definitely a keep it all Toyota kind of guy but honestly that was the most fun I’ve ever had driving an old 40. Punching the throttle with the instant acceleration and the throaty sound of the V8 always left me smiling ear to ear 😎

JP was this @navydivedoc old 40?

It is a really cool one! I might have questions for you in the future on my build. Especially pertaining to the 4 speed. (If I swap out the 3speed in mine). I really like how you were able to keep some of the patina. Did you have to weld in new rockers on it? its hard to tell in the photos. I am about to do that job.

seats shipped from BTB. (took a while but I am sure it was to do with being freight shipping) I delt with Rick. seemed like a nice dude and certainly gave me a good deal. they are rough but I will be reupholstering them anyway with I think coral covers and cushions from SOR. From the responses to go with coral I am 100% going with that color. I also think this is the best color to complement the spring green.

I am pretty sure I want to go with SOR but does anybody have any suggestions other than SOR? I know cruiser corps has them but I have heard the color is not quite factory coral color. these are the ones I am leaning towards: Land Cruiser 40 Series Deluxe Seat Covers & Seat Cushions - https://www.sor.com/CAT310.sor or does everyone have good experience with the SOR covers?

Last edited:
I prefer to support local if that's an option. Feed my neighbour and keep my money in my community if possible. My vintage sports car interiors get done by a local for much less than I could get via catalogue shopping and I don't have to do the install. I send pix of how Id like it to look along with texture and colour options. Lend an ear to their suggestions as well as they know their limits and wear properties of different materials etc. I also think the coral colour option will look spectacular with the green of your cruiser. Best of luck with your decision.

I’ve enjoyed reading through this. Nice work on the rear sill and quarters! I will need to do the same. Did you get your replacement metal from CCOT?

Living in Colorado now but grew up in Virginia. Spent a lot of time on Ocracoke Island. Such a cool place!

5B911E71-E425-450E-B3E7-2B11FDB24783.jpeg

Last edited:
I prefer to support local if that's an option. Feed my neighbour and keep my money in my community if possible. My vintage sports car interiors get done by a local for much less than I could get via catalogue shopping and I don't have to do the install. I send pix of how Id like it to look along with texture and colour options. Lend an ear to their suggestions as well as they know their limits and wear properties of different materials etc. I also think the coral colour option will look spectacular with the green of your cruiser. Best of luck with your decision.
I dont disagree with you but its not really an economical option for me with where I am located. Most of the people/upholsterers are at least a 4hour drive and a 1 hour ferry ride 1 way. But I do like the idea of having supporting local business for sure. Easiest for me has always been do it yourself. plus a bonus is leaning a new skill. Its why I like this land cruiser community so much! We all help each other out.

Maybe Ill reach out to a few places and get some quotes though.

I’ve enjoyed reading through this. Nice work on the rear sill and quarters! I will need to do the same. Did you get your replacement metal from CCOT?

Living in Colorado now but grew up in Virginia. Spent a lot of time getting on Ocracoke Island. Such a cool place!

View attachment 3235890
Hey! Thanks! yeah I bought the sill and the sill cover and panels from CCOT. They were really nice over the phone too. The sill job was not too bad but very scary to cut into the back of the 40 haha. My brother lives in Denver and just bought a house there! might be coming up that way sometime this year. If you ever find yourself back on Ocracoke be sure to find me!

I am about to do some patches on my rocker panels. I just purchased some metal to make the Inner supports (I dont know what they are called but they attach to the inside of the rockers underneith) stay tuned for that it might be a shhhh show haha.

Painted my mirror arms the factory color. The one I took off was also painted so I figured I would paint the new ones. I also started welding plugs in some of the holes that were previously drilled in the land cruiser. two holes on the passenger side cowl for an antenna. ( I thought maybe it was drilled for a mirror like the driver side originally but it was not) Its funny it had antennas on both the driver side and passenger side but no radio haha. I apologize for the bad photo, I'll get more tomorrow.

69723345504__D76CF7AF-4EFC-40BE-826A-8F2EBFD32C14.JPG

I am ordered some sheet metal to help with my rocker patches. so I am hoping to get to that possibly next weekend. My seats are said to be delivered on monday! I am very excited about that. Also I have a bunch of spector off road parts coming Monday too. I also ordered a new land cruiser association sticker for my windshield :cool:

IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG

I got a whole bunch of parts today. No seats however. Freight always gets delayed getting here. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow. I partly installed the bumperetts (not sure I like them on there. I need to get more weathered ones I think. I got my windshield bumpstops and hooks, I got the Rear sill toyota sticker, the switch and ball bearing for the vacuum actuator, the missing linkage for the vacuum 4x4, and new bolts and a gasket for the vacuum actuator. Very exciting weekend projects to be had!

I wanted to see if the vacuum switch assembly for the vacuum 4x4 would even work. I was unsure because somebody changed it to a floor shift and I dont know why. well I got bored today and connected the Diaphragm part to the vacuum lines underneath the truck. They were capped off with bolts and hose clamps. Plan was to just see if the shift fork would move. The good news is it does move with no hesitation or anything when I pull the FD switch. Better news is that it moves back when I push the switch back in! Looks like I will be reinstalling this soon!
IMG_1573.JPG

Well I made a purchase whoopsies. I did not realize that the windshield hooks I purchased would not work for the earlier fj40s. so the hooks I bought from spector are the wrong ones.... womp womp I should not have assumed that all years meant with the later style bumpstops. I might be putting these up for sale. unfortunately I painted them already in spring green.. I did do a quick ebay search and found some used for 40$ that I just purchased.(picture below) They actually came with some hood latches too. I don't need those though. plus one of the latches is broken.
s-l1600.jpg

I think my weekend project is to take the transmission tunnel out and reinstall the vacuum stuff. does somebody know how the fd wiring to the light from the switch on the transfercase is done? I am pretty sure all the wiring that still exist is the wires to the light bulb for the green light. But the wires dont exist under the truck anymore. while I am at it I will also replace the fuel sending unit gasket. and hopefully test fit the new very used seats.

FD SWITCH IS BACK IN ACTION!! Well this was more of a bear than I was expecting. I did get it installed mostly. The vacuum actuator works. when I pull FD switch it shifts the transfercase into 4x4. I am unsure yet of how well the 4 low lever works. Its all attached but I may need to do some adjusting. Seems to be working though. Tomorrow I will mess with that. I still need to wire the green light up. I am unsure of where the wires go to. If anybody knows where the wires go to from the transfer case switch to the dash let me know. I thought there was a bulb under there but its just the bulb socket and the wires to that. I need to top of the gear oil and tighten the bolts on the drive shaft and re attach the tunnel. (this is not going to be easy too.)

IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom