Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have the rear harness that goes from the passenger side firewall to the rear crossmember? There should be two wires that come out of that harness (same harness that has the YR fuel tank sender wire - and WB ground). One is GY, and it’s positive, and the other is possibly GY as well (or B, can’t remember) and it goes to a frame ground right in that vicinity. If the light is on and the FD is not engaged, switch the wires on the indicator switch. The rear harness plugs into the main harness at the passenger side firewall, there should be a GY in the main that then runs to the light socket, and the a return GY wire that splices into the Y wire off the fuse box as the circuit power source. I think this is right. Meter everything so I don’t burn up your rig 😂.

Here‘s a pretty good schematic
25965BC3-551E-4E60-B415-97B158BDD4A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you order seat covers yet?

Cruiser Corps is a couple hundred bucks less than SOR, not to mention what shipping would be. I’ve never used the SOR covers. I have done 3 sets of Cruiser Corps covers and have been mostly happy with all 3 (2 benches and a set of buckets, plus rear jumps). The coral being not quite factory correct shouldn’t really matter since it’ll not be up against existing coral. And you wont be able to tell its not factory next to that V8 anyway…… jk.

Did you order seat covers yet?

Cruiser Corps is a couple hundred bucks less than SOR, not to mention what shipping would be. I’ve never used the SOR covers. I have done 3 sets of Cruiser Corps covers and have been mostly happy with all 3 (2 benches and a set of buckets, plus rear jumps). The coral being not quite factory correct shouldn’t really matter since it’ll not be up against existing coral. And you wont be able to tell its not factory next to that V8 anyway…… jk.
I have not ordered covers yet. I have thought about the cruiser corps ones. What foam do you use when you recovered them? One thing I liked about SOR was that you can get the kit that has foam with it. I actually threw whats left of those seats in the cruiser and drove around today just to get a feel for it. bench seats on these old ones is pretty cool. haha I am planning on getting that V8 outta there I think at some point. I am probibly going to start looking to buy a 1f 155 this summer when I have more time.

Last edited:
I just got foam from a local fabric store. I wrapped burlap over the springs, foam over that, then a thin layer of poly-fill batting over that (mimicking jute batting kind of), then the covers.
CCAE3C98-8B67-418B-9BDD-C2217B73D668.jpeg
FCAB75B8-97CB-4292-AB1B-C2654E17F9F2.jpeg
8AA26C3D-41F2-4A0B-BEDB-4875A3996BBE.jpeg
AE381C6A-9ACF-49BA-975A-1BAA05AB296F.jpeg

C74E520D-F3F6-4A7D-9EE8-307025AA0637.jpeg

well the good news is the 4x4 and 4 low all work as should. at first I could not get the transfer case out of neutral, But I adjusted the linkage and tightend some things up and now it works like a charm. Its actually easier to get it in 4x4 than it was before. I took it out on the beach and all worked just as it should.

The bad news is when I had the green light switch out today to connect the wiring I dropped it and the bakelight crumbled and the electric terminals fell out. I think I am righting this switch off. so I will be looking to buy another if anyone knows where to get one let me know. Also I will be buying covers sooner than later. I cant put those ugly best top seats back in. Ill post some pics soon. my wifi is being annoying.

IMG_4263.jpg
IMG_4263.jpg

Last edited:
I just got foam from a local fabric store. I wrapped burlap over the springs, foam over that, then a thin layer of poly-fill batting over that (mimicking jute batting kind of), then the covers. View attachment 3246891View attachment 3246892View attachment 3246893View attachment 3246894

View attachment 3246895
Yeah this might be the way to go for me. Id much rather pay less and get the same job done haha. When I get to this project I may ask you some questions as they arise. Thanks!! I did buy the rustolium paint you suggested.

The Koito reflectors look really nice on the cruiser. Ill probably buy a third one for the rear too. I started to add the hood assesories. started with the bump stops. I will figure out where to put the hooks after I weld in the hook retainers I made on the windshield. as stated above I had to find these used hooks as I ended up with the wrong ones. I also Have some hood hook keepers coming.

Also last picture is me using the 4 low on the beach. Using the dash shifter. It shifted in and out of 4 low flawlessly! I love how this FD switch works. Its actually smoother and easier than the old lever! Just no working green light yet. Pardon the rats nest of wires. I had a speaker wired up to that bluetooth radio knob. I took out the speaker temporarily .

IMG-1695.jpg
IMG-1696.jpg
IMG-1694.jpg

Not many updates to speak of, I will be doing my upholstery sooner than later. Coral for sure but still waffling over who to buy from. I would have already bought spectors but the shipping is like 150$ for seat covers and cushions... I found a replacement switch for my vacuum 4x4 and will be installing that soon. This weekend I should be welding in my hook retainers on my hood. I am going to fabricate some stuff for the rocker patches as well.

I am starting to think about suspensions. it has what I think is a rough country 4 inch. I am not a big fan. seems a little too tall and most certainly rough! I am leaning towards dobinsons. I like the design of their shocks over ome ones. I think I also want to try somthing different. I have used ome for almost all of my 4x4s. What is everyones opinion on Dobinsons 2 inch over the OME equivalent? I also will be purchasing some anti inversion shackes too. I wont be doing this till summer but I do want to get some info.

Not many updates to speak of, I will be doing my upholstery sooner than later. Coral for sure but still waffling over who to buy from. I would have already bought spectors but the shipping is like 150$ for seat covers and cushions... I found a replacement switch for my vacuum 4x4 and will be installing that soon. This weekend I should be welding in my hook retainers on my hood. I am going to fabricate some stuff for the rocker patches as well.

I am starting to think about suspensions. it has what I think is a rough country 4 inch. I am not a big fan. seems a little too tall and most certainly rough! I am leaning towards dobinsons. I like the design of their shocks over ome ones. I think I also want to try somthing different. I have used ome for almost all of my 4x4s. What is everyones opinion on Dobinsons 2 inch over the OME equivalent? I also will be purchasing some anti inversion shackes too. I wont be doing this till summer but I do want to get some info.

Personally I love the height of your 40. It makes me glad I ended up with 4” springs.

You could always remove a main leaf spring and change shocks to gain some ride quality, and it would lower it some.

Lots of love here for the dobinsons stuff. Their products are great on all the cruisers I’ve been around that have it.

Personally I love the height of your 40. It makes me glad I ended up with 4” springs.

You could always remove a main leaf spring and change shocks to gain some ride quality, and it would lower it some.

Lots of love here for the dobinsons stuff. Their products are great on all the cruisers I’ve been around that have it.
I dont mind the height but my fiance does not like it. She puts up with it but I know she will be happier with somthing that sits a little lower. I also think with the skinner 9.50 33s it looks a little model T esk with the height. I think dropping it to a 2 inch height will be better. Plus the front pinion angle concerns me a little. I have seen spring shims that you can put in there to help and I will do that when I change everthing out.

How is your Cruiser coming along btw?

I dont mind the height but my fiance does not like it. She puts up with it but I know she will be happier with somthing that sits a little lower. I also think with the skinner 9.50 33s it looks a little model T esk with the height. I think dropping it to a 2 inch height will be better. Plus the front pinion angle concerns me a little. I have seen spring shims that you can put in there to help and I will do that when I change everthing out.

How is your Cruiser coming along btw?

Zero Progress. LOL. It’s waiting on me, I’ve got a 4 runner in the way I can get parts for.

Zero Progress. LOL. It’s waiting on me, I’ve got a 4 runner in the way I can get parts for.
I know how that goes... I really want to buy a 2nd gen 4runner or a toyota truck this summer and eventually 1kz swap it. but I know once I do that zero progress will happen with the 40. my fiance and I need a work truck for our business so will probibly be a truck haha.

I’ve heard good things about ome springs and bilstein shocks. If I were lifting mine, that’s what I would do. Cruiser outfitters can set up that kit

my fiance and I need a work truck for our business so will probibly be a truck haha.
There’s a few 45’s around FS, maybe a really nice one in northern FL 😆.

There’s a few 45’s around FS, maybe a really nice one in northern FL 😆.
I wish I could afford a 45 right now! Every once and a while you see them come up for good prices. I was very tempted to buy a RHD Australian import one that was for sale In Virginia beach right before I bought this fj40. the only thing that deterred me is It needed a bed. somebody swapped in a flatbed on it.

I wish I could afford a 45 right now! Every once in a while you see them come up for good prices. I was very tempted to buy a RHD Australian import one that was for sale In Virginia beach right before I bought this fj40. the only thing that deterred me is It needed a bed. somebody swapped in a flatbed on it.
I think pretty much all Australian 45s are flatbeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom