ROTW ROTW ish.. 79 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
Well, since I screwed the pooch and missed my week I am going to just post the specs of the truck:

Old tired stock 2F with a T04 turbo and 3" exhaust system running propane.
SM420 bolted to dual mini truck tcases ala OTT's clockable adapter (replaces the main shaft in the SM420 changing it from a 10 spline output to a toyota female input.) in low low I am running approx 200:1 single low is about 70:1 Leaves a completly flat skidplate.

Rear shaft mini CV with a Superduty slipshaft
Front shaft a stock 2 piece rear mini shaft modded with a better carrier bearing.
Both shafts are from highangle driveline.

Front axle
D60 with stock large shaft innners and Yukon 35 spline outers. Mt logan Drive Slugs (or warn locking hubs if the wheelin is not bad and there is a lot of street driving involved). Detroit locker with 5.13's

Rear axle
Shaved 14 bolt. Great lake off road diff cover. Stock Shafts (dam strong 30 spline) and a sandy cone mini spool. Chevy 3/4 ton disk brakes.

Front suspension
3 link with a panhard bar (2 links on the PS and one link on the DS) lowers are 36" long and the upper is 29". lower links consist of 2" .250 wall chromo with Re joints at the frame and 1.25" heims at the axle. Upper link is 1.5" .250 chromo with a RE joint at the frame and a 5/8x 3/4 QA1 bad ass heim. Draglink is the 1.5" tubing using the stock spring bushings at the frame and a 3/4 x 5/8" heim that mounts to the BTF made upper link mount. Oh yeah, single SAW coilover on each side with springs that are too heavy at 250/350. Custom motor cage to attatch the Coilovers to.

Rear suspension .
Equal length doubly triangulated 4 link using a 2x3 .250 square tubing as a frame side xmember. all links 36" lowers are 2" uppers are 1.5". re joints and 1.25" heims for lowers and rejoints and 3/4 x 5/8" heims on the uppers. BTF upper link mount on the 14 bolt (after breaking a bunch of my attempts..) TJ front 6 cylinder stock cloils suspend the rear allong with some rancho 9012's that are mounted very poorly and need to be switched out with something better......

Body tub has been cut, a lot. It is a 74 tub on a 79 frame (it can be done) Rear fenderwells have been raised to the top hardtop edge. and the rear has been narrowed (dovetail) by 11". Front fenders have been removed but the inner fenders were left to make life easier and to keep mud out of the engine compartment.
Roll cage ties to the frame (rigidly) in 6 places. My design and has been named the Birdcage. Guess I went a bit over board..
Sliders are 2" reciever tubing and 1.5" square tubing. Soon to be replaced by a custom set of sliders for 2.5" more clearance under the rockers..

HS9500I winch on the front of the rig. Front frame hours have been chopped off and a triabngular front end was fabricatedto increase approach angle.

Scout sag PS box drilled and tapped by west texas off road for hydro assist. 2 x8" hydro ram. soon to be Rockstomper behind the axle steering.

Tires are 39.5: Iroks on recentered hummer wheels with double PVC interior beadlocks. (I need a lathe to clean up the inners ;) )

106" WB.
82" wide.
6.jpg
1.jpg
9.jpg

Nice to see some pics. You've done a ton of work. :beer:

SWEET RIG MACE!!!!!!
sounds like you know what your doing ;)
i love the cage work thats been done.....

VERY COOL RIG!!!!!!!! :cheers:

ahem... turbo propane 2f (the only reason i gave you a second chance :flipoff2:) more details :)

bad_religion_au said:
ahem... turbo propane 2f (the only reason i gave you a second chance :flipoff2:) more details :)

MORE DETAILS!!!!!
oh yeah mace, you forgot to tell us how much air you run in the tires..... ;)
what do you torqe the lug nuts to????? :D

street psi = 20
Crawlin psi = 4ish.

Oh yeah, there are Rad valves (rapid Air down) valves in the valve stems.

Lug nuts.. Whatever the impact is set to ;)

Turbo.
I have a buddy in AU that kept hinting at the possibility of a Turbocharger for a 2F. Which is something that I always thought would be perfect for an off road rig. You never see the turbo in stupid low (turbos are dependant on engine load) but still gives you a bit of oomph when you are playing at higher 2wd/4wd ranges. The turbo setup is very simple. holley 460 butterflies with a Impco 425 mixer. mounted in a draw through setup to the turbo. The turbo is mounted to the stock exhaust manifold with a cast adapter. So engine speed increases which spins the turbo on the exhaust side which in turn draws air through the "carb" and feeds it to the stock intake manifold. Turbo is both oil fed and water cooled. The coolant lines are run off of the stock block drain and one of the Thermostat holes. The oil line is steel braided/ teflon lined and comes off of a remote oil filter. Oil return was the fun part. Take a impact hammer and punch a hole in the oil pan. Then thread it for 1/4" NPT pipe thread. hook up lines and away you go.

I do have a closed loop circuit for the propane controler but have not hooked it up yet. I still need to do some tweaking on the propane carb before it is running efficiently enough to be able to utilize the electronic mixture controler.

BTW, it needs paint bad.

Pretty it aint

Looks a lot better in pics ;)

Screw all that other noise:

What shade of pink are those drive flanges :D :flipoff2:

I love your 40 mace, it is my favorite, and an isperation

:beer:

There are not pink!!!!

They are purple :flipoff2:

cage was bent, cut and welded by me.

Decide if you will if that is a good thing or not ;)

Sweet rig brotha....any plans for the future besides denting it and breaking parts?

Not much body to dent ;)

Future plans.
Superior shafts and CTM's
Adjust the coilover rates in the front to lower it a bit and make it boonie hop better.
Redo the steering/panhard bar. It rolls to the PS in left hand turns. It also tends to try to roll over while doing brodies in the dry lakebed out at the hammers ;)
New seats. The plastic ones I have right now suck.
redo the shocks in the rear. They are at a stupid angle at ride height. They need to be mounted verticaly and the proper valving needs to be addressed (probably just get a set of foxes for the rear) I keep thinking that a set of air shocks for the rear sounds nice but I cannot bring myself to remove a suspension type that I really like (coils) besides, due to the weight (4300lbs) I would have to run a lot of psi in the shocks for whatever ride height I want so it would tend to unload in the rear on downhills. Something that gets scary, quick..

Some more body work and a bit of paint will make it golden.

Oh yeah, I am going to have to run a heavier duty clutch than is in it right now. If I am in the boost and shift quickly from 3rd to 4th I spin the crap out of the clutch :smokin:

Oh yeah, Marlin is developing a front dig, 32 spline front and rear output mini tcase.

I want one...

:eek: :eek: :eek: drool... thats all that I really have to say...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom