GM CS130 Alternator/1 Wire Hookup Questions (9/79 FJ40) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been poking around here reading up on GM alternator swaps and I had a few questions. I'm going to be installing a PowerMax CS130 on the Vintage Air bracket made for this purpose. I'm going to be doing a 1-wire configuration, running a 6 gauge cable to the battery and a 6 gauge ground to the block. I read the FAQ and most of that is pretty clear - I did have a few questions though -

Powermax explains that for 1 wire hookup there is nothing required using the connector on the alternator or anything like diodes/lights/etc. for their unit. I'm using 578021:
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/pwm-alt2_gm_cs.pdf - so this is how I am going to connect it.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 1.59.55 PM.png

My questions are:
1. My 2F has a DUI distributor which is connected to the black/yellow coil/ignitor wire coming off my stock 2F alternator (I tested it at one point to confirm it was getting a full 12V). I believe now I need to connect the distributor to a relay off the battery because the black/yellow wire isn't connected to the alternator anymore. This is consistent with how Coolerman recommends it on his site (Cruiser Wiring - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/wiringmainframe.htm) . So I'm going to do this, right?

2. The ammeter in my truck is removed (I'm using an aftermarket dash) do I need to do anything with the wires? It's been out for months but I've been on the stock alternator. As far as I can tell, in the 79 it just measures current across the fusible link - so I believe there's nothing for me to do here, right?
Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 2.13.17 PM.png

3. Do I need higher amperage fusible links? I replaced them all with factory equivalents when I bought the truck about 6 months ago - I'm just wondering if they are going to be underrated for the new alternator -- if that's the case I would probably just ask @Coolerman to make them for me in 100amp form. The reason I'm asking is I believe the accessories demand X amount of amps and the alternator ramps to provide that amount - I'm not sure it would push 140amps to the fuse box (not sure I want to find out though either). I was also considering adding a circuit breaker.

4. Is it possible to bypass the factory voltage regulator since the CS130 is internally regulated? I have seen this mentioned but I have never seen an actual how-to on how to do it.

Thanks - I really did a ton of research on this before asking.

I sure hope your DUI distributor is/was not connected to the 18ga wire BY on the ALTERNATOR! That wire is way too small for that application. It should at least be connected to the 10ga BY wire that originally connected to your ignitor/coil. However even that would result in a voltage of 9-10 volts at the DUI due to the built in resistor wire that took the place of the ballast resistor for the low impeadance coil used on the 78-80 FJ40.

A 1979 FJ40 only has 1 fusible link. It is a 16ga link. You must leave that one in place as it protects the wire between the battery and the fuse panel. Just make sure to insulate the old alternator wire. If that 10 ga wire touches ground, it will blow your OEM fusible link.

1. Yes you should have a relay to power your DUI straight from the battery.
  2. You need a 12ga fusible link to protect the 6 ga wire between the battery and alternator or a circuit breaker rated for a 6 ga wire. Few connectors will handle the ouput of that alternator, or the size of the 6ga wire, so use a terminal strip or an ANL Fuse block to make connections for the fusible link.
  3. Just unplug the voltage regulator or leave it connected. No need to bypass since it will not be used at all.
  4. If you are running any non stock high current accessories, DO NOT run them from the OEM fuse panel! Install a aux fuse panel in the glove box or under the hood. Blue Sea makes a cool 4 fuse panel (Part# 5024) that attaches to the + battery terminal. It also has a 4 position ground buss that attaches to the - battery terminal. Handles 30 amps per fuse or 100 amps toal for all 4 fuses.
  5. Make sure you use at least 6 ga wire to ground that alternator to the engine block. Do NOT rely on the mounting brackets to ground it. Also hopfully you have an engine to frame ground wire. If not add one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom