Restoring stock fuel system on hacked '79 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on the Enigma Cruiser, trying to get it running. 1979 model, build date 12/78. PO installed an electric fuel pump with poor wiring, I'm removing it to simplify the wiring while I figure it out and because I had no issues with the stock mechanical pump on my other 40. There are 2 steel lines from the tank running along the inside of the passenger side frame rail as expected. They end just before the battery support tower. I removed the tower (only broke 2 of the bolts!). From the end of one of the lines is a rubber hose running to the electric pump, then to an inline filter, and on to the steel carburetor line. From the end of the other steel tank line is a rubber hose connected to one of the ports on the abandoned mechanical pump. I believe this second steel line from the tank is the return line and they found it convenient simply to plug the hose into a port on the unused mechanical pump when the electric unit was installed. I suspect the electric pump was installed because the carb cooling fan stopped working (when the harness was hacked) and they had starting issues with getting fuel to the carb. My questions:

- Shouldn't this pump have 3 ports - an inlet, outlet, and return? There are only 2 tube ports and it doesn't look like the pump I think should be on a '79 2F, see photos. But I don't like to assume anything and start swapping out parts until I'm sure. Does anyone recognize this pump, what it could be for/from? There is a boss with a hole that looks like there could have been a 3rd tube/port but I'm guessing, I don't know.
- The battery support tower has some sheet metal brackets bolted to it. One appears to be for a fuel filter, the other a hose guide, see photo. Yet they do not look like the photos I've found on MUD for similar systems. Does anyone have a photo of a factory fuel line setup for this area on a '79 FJ40? It would be greatly appreciated. I'm scouring MUD but haven't found anything that looks quite like this Cruiser.

Thanks in advance for any help. Here is the mystery pump.
DSCN2759.JPG

The steel lines from the tank.
DSCN2760.JPG

The battery support tower with sheet metal brackets.
DSCN2755.JPG

What I think the correct pump looks like.
Screenshot 2024-02-01 113426.png

What I think the correct P/N is.
Screenshot 2024-02-01 113008.png

The three port fuel pump is the correct one for a 79, and your part number is correct. The pump on there currently does not look like a Toyota pump. Make sure you run the spacer with the three port pump. The bracket on the battery holds the fuel filter.

X2 on needing a spacer for the pump with 3 ports

does your 79 have the fuel tank under the body or inside? it changed mid year in 1979
tank underneath should have a 3 port pump
tank inside had a return off the carb, it would have been a 1978 setup

I like my electric fuel pump. Undo one hose clamp, and I can refill my military gas stoves, fill a beer can for instant boy scout or transfer some gas to a stranded fool.

Learn the diagrams, Partsouq is your friend then you can also cross reference USA dealers online to order or use Amayama/Partsouq.

Without knowing your truck/carb you'll want at least....

95333-08100 - 100cm fuel line (superior to parts store hose) You'll want 2 of these if you want to do the majority of the fuel lines from tank to pump/hardlines.
2310061050 - fuel pump
90923-06010 - fuel pump insulator
23300-36020 - fuel filter
9613230800 - fuel hose clamp (2x per hose...)

1706824721952.png

Great stuff guys, thanks for taking the time to respond. Don't know if there is a spacer (I know the part you're referring to), I'll pull the pump off and see. Even with a build date of 12/78 the gas tank is the larger one located under the body, it's one of the reasons I wanted a '79 this time around. Having said that, there does seem to be some '78 model year holdovers on this rig. For example, I think the axles are 4.11s. The carb is the stock Toyota unit.

Eventually I may go back to an electric pump but for now I need something mechanically simple I don't have to worry about. The wiring on this rig is unbelievably bad, I'm removing everything that doesn't have to be there. The electric pump was installed with wire nuts and lamp cord. I'm not joking.

Don't know what Partsouq is, I'll look into it. I need to find a consistent source with reasonable prices for Toyota OEM parts. Again, thanks for the wonderful responses.

Grab a filter from Napa and these EGF61050 EGFP06010 from cruiseroutfitters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom