ROLL THE DICE ON AN OVERHEATED 80? "OIL PUMP FAILURE'' (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've owned a few 80's over the years all in great working condition, but this is the first 80 I'm looking at that is not in running condition.

94 Land Cruiser US spec Gas.

-Seller states the ''oil pump went out'' ....Claims he was driving and the temp gauge went up and the oil light came on. He shut it off.
-Seller states the other day he moved it to another spot at his house and ''no noises or smoke, but smelled like burnt oil''

If I go down to check it out, what are some things to search for on the engine to determine the issue or damage? (aside from looking at the coolant and oil condition)
Is there anything exterior on the oil pump that will tell me anything? I've read that an oil pump failure is very rare on these engines and labor time for replacing them is like 20 hours?

-I have done a few head gaskets on cars over the years but really not looking to do a full engine teardown or engine replacement. The seller lives about an hour from me so I'd rather just be prepared ahead of time in order to make a deal (or walk away).

That’s a hard one to inspect. Worst case scenario engine bearings are smoked and will need a full rebuild. Check oil pressure when the engine is running. If it’s cheep may be worth it. Just be prepared for an engine rebuild and use that as your key negotiation. The market has slowed down and lots of 80’s for sale at least in the pacific north west.

Ditto:

So one question, did the head gasket leak internally or did the coolant level get low and then it overheated?? Maybe check the condition of (or lack of) the coolant.

If you could collect a sample of the oil in the engine (still the same oil?), then send it out to Blackstone Laboratories for an Engine Oil Analysis, that might give you some information (water, coolant, high wear metals)

Expect a damaged engine that needs major repairs or replacement ($5000-10,000++ if you have to pay someone to replace the engine) and make an offer based off of that, maybe you'll get lucky.

Last edited:
As a buyer, there is little that you can do to definitively diagnose all the potential problems with this engine.
I would not assume an oil pump failure. They rarely fail on 1FZ engines. However, they are tensioned and driven by the crankshaft. A loose crankshaft bolt will allow the pump to not engage properly. The oil light is the oil level sensor which can come on if you are as little as 1/2 - 1 qt low. Oil pressure is more important and is determined by the oil pressure gauge (which can can be wildly inaccurate). If the seller reports overheating and burnt and low oil levels I would assume major issues with that engine. It may not be the case, but you will not be able to properly diagnose his issues during a short visit.

As a buyer I would bargain from the assumption of a full engine rebuild or replacement. If you are not prepared for that, or unless he is practically giving the truck away, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards it being a no-go but needed the group to give me a reality check.

I was hoping I could make it work since its the exact spec I've been on the hunt for (white with cloth manual interior).

If you can pick it up for a couple thousand it could be a good deal, depends on how much a replacement engine will cost in your area or if you can do the work yourself.

A solid truck with "good bones" (no body damage or rust, nice interior) is getting harder to find.

I've done engine swaps on smaller vehicles before. Head gasket on an 80 before. I could do the engine swap in my garage at home...but do I really want to is the question haha.

Body and paint look perfect since its a desert truck. Interior is almost perfect. Oh well... there will be more.

Saw that one on Offerup. Dude wants $12k for it.

Yep thats the one. I've been talking to him over the last few days. I told him well-running clean ones are going for 13-15. Said he's willing to lower the price for serious buyers, just an fyi for anyone else interested.

First thing I would do is surreptitiously have a look inside the OTHER vehicles the guy owns and see if they're full of old coffee cups, rotting donuts and fast food wrappers on the dash - yaknow, signs of neglect and an uncaring attitude. No offense to pack-rats, but I got this advice about screening renters for a property and its one of lifes simple truths.

From there, you'll have some insight into how this LandCruiser was likely treated before he cleaned it up for sale to the highest offer. Good luck,

First thing I would do is surreptitiously have a look inside the OTHER vehicles the guy owns and see if they're full of old coffee cups, rotting donuts and fast food wrappers on the dash - yaknow, signs of neglect and an uncaring attitude. No offense to pack-rats, but I got this advice about screening renters for a property and its one of lifes simple truths.

From there, you'll have some insight into how this LandCruiser was likely treated before he cleaned it up for sale to the highest offer. Good luck,
Solid advice.

I got the very same advice in the early 80's at a landlords real estate seminar in Philly. I've used it ever since.

Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards it being a no-go but needed the group to give me a reality check.

I was hoping I could make it work since its the exact spec I've been on the hunt for (white with cloth manual interior).

I recently rebuilt a 1fz-fe. Oil pressure relief valve jammed open shortly after start up.
The result, brand new crank is now a paper weight, along with pistons, all bearings etc
Cams and journals narrowly escaped. Block needs to be line bored.

I've also previously had a 1HZ boil and sieze. After it cooled down, it was inspected, and no damage.

It's a definite gamble

How I have been screening tenants for decades.
When I first met my wife she frowned on the practice, but she’s a believer now.

How I have been screening tenants for decades.
When I first met my wife she frowned on the practice, but she’s a believer now.
I will one up you... it's how I screen girlfriends....

Last edited:
Body and paint look perfect since its a desert truck. Interior is almost perfect. Oh well... there will be more.
No doubt imo that the engine is now trash, but it's relatively easy to fix mechanical stuff vs NLA interior parts and single stage paint that's still in good condition. Would you still be interested if it was listed at $25k with a new engine? Retail on a brand new short block from Toyota is ~$4500 if there are any still available. I'm thinking $10k truck + $8k rebuilt engine after you machine and swap the current head + $5k shop install. Not a bad deal if that also leaves you with a clean rust-free truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom