Builds Robin the FZJ80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About a year ago I decided my old Volvo sedan wasn't helping me get to where I wanted to go or haul what I needed to haul (read: got a wheel in the air while going to a trailhead, no damage, but still not the best). Just so happened that a family friend was selling their FZJ80 for a good price and I couldn't pass it up. It came with a non-winch ARB bumper, running boards already off, a roof rack, and had been nicely maintained by the previous owners (I think 2).

First thing on the books was some standard maintenance (fluids, distributor and plugs, etc. etc.) then I immediately took it on two long road trips, one to Smith Rock and Bend, OR from Seattle, the next to Rialto beach on the Olympic Peninsula. I figured it was made to go so that was the best way to test it, plus I just wanted to get it on some dirt. Then my wallet started getting lighter and things started growing off the car. First up was a Uniden 520 CB with a Firestick antenna up front, some recovery gear, Hella 500s, and some universal Rally Armor mud flaps that I had for the Volvo.

A mantra for the build quickly developed; K.I.S.S. I wanted a good, simple 4x4 that I could daily drive, but was still incredibly capable off road. One thing I love about these vehicles is they are the perfect mix of basic luxury and ruggedness. With that, I'll go through where the cruiser is at right now.

Interior: I kept the interior as stock looking as possible, and started by taking off the "wood" trim. The CB is mounted to a pre existing interior screw (holds surprisingly well), and sought out switches that looked OEM (far left of photo below). I added the @bhicks cup holder (which is rad) and used sail tape over a rip in the passenger seat (sail tape works for everything, at least to a sailor). Topped it all of with a CDL switch and Weather Tech mats.

I also added a platform to the back to secure the spare. I wanted to get it up out of the way completely, but didn't want it on the back. All my tools and recovery gear fit in the space as well with a cover that snaps on.

Exterior: Besides the ARB, I have Rally Armor mud flaps all around to save the OEM and give them more clearance/flex and painted the recovery/tow hooks bright red (because why not!). The Hellas were switched out or a 20' light bar and a small backup light was added to the rear bumper. The biggest changes are the snorkel and finally trading out the bald Toyo ATs for BFG KO2s (265/75/16 size). Traction is nice, and my friends with winches thanked me.

Engine: The engine is pretty much stock. One of the the previous owners did the blue fan clutch mod and the last owner did the head gasket. For the accessories I added a cheap fuse box under the kick panel in the drivers footwell. I also extended the breathers for both axles up next to the charcoal canister.

Thats where it is at now. In the future I want to add an OME stock height "lift" and do some touch up painting on the rear bumper. I'll see where it goes from there. Its a cool community and I'm glad I get to be a part of it!

Some more photos because I know we all love them:

Very nice ride! Where did you get backup light and how is it wired up? Oh and welcome to the obsession :flipoff2:

I got the backup light here then got one of their 2' trailer light gaskets that the light fit perfectly into. To mount it I just drilled a 2' hole, put the gasket in, and popped the light in. I just have it wired with a simple relay and switch (copied my Hella circuit) but spliced into the front side markers so it will turn off with the car, but I can turn it on without the headlights. I ran the wires into the car with the harness on the left back quarter and ran them up the drivers channel. Hope that helps!

I like the platform idea. Is it just plywood resting on the tire, or the wheel wells? Secured with turnbuckles?

The platform has held up by 3 pieces of 3/4 inch plywood with 1/2 inch on top. the supports go across the front by the seats, and then down both sides. it is just tall enough to clear the tire so its easy to remove. and yeah, just some HD turnbuckles.
This is it flipped over.

Love the Rally Armor flaps. I have them for my SpecB. I didn't know they made universal ones till now.

So, a little update. About a month ago I went to Tahuya ORV park near Belfair, Wa with some friends and had a great time.
I got to actually use the snorkel too!
That being said, that night my starter decided it had enough (it was already struggling) and it took me basically this long to get it fixed. Once I got the cruiser back up and running the ac compressor started making a noise like a bearing going out, so I pulled the belt on it to keep it quite. I'm sure it is, but is it ok to run without the ac compressor hooked up with a belt until I get around to fixing it?

The mud flaps are just Rally Armor basic universals (Basic Mud Flaps, Rally Armor). To mount them; I took the old flaps off, and used the same mounting points. I started with a template, then just drilled holes and mounted them up. If you do it id suggest keeping all the holes except the top one a tad larger than needed so they can be adjusted. The front ones have a single screw into wheel well to hold the inside edge, so that the only major change I think.
The right rear then has a cutout for the exhaust. I thought for sure there would be some heat damage but it hasn't showed up.

Nice to know that if I damage them, its just $15 for a set of 4.

So haven't updated in a while, but want to keep the thread current.

(Photo cred goes to my best friend's little brother for this one, the rest are mine)

What I have done so far to the rig:
-LED marker, side-marker, license plate, interior, and door courtesy lights. I made the map light red so as not to mess with my night vision as much.
-Got a front axle rebuild, and new knuckle studs (sheered most on the right side :eek:, glad it stayed together for the trip to PDX) from Land Cruiser NW in Portland, OR. Great guys with some pretty amazing machines at the shop. A big thank you for helping me out while the truck was stranded there.
-Moved the light bar to the lower ARB opening
-Used it like I'm supposed to and went up Fortune Creek trail and explored Manastash Ridge.
-Painted center caps matching silver (Rustoleum Hammered Finish) just to clean them up.
-New front seat covers Polyurithane front seat covers ordered to match the interior color.

This wouldn't be Mud without a few photos...

This winter I'm going to try to get a few other upgrades out of the way. I want to go OME stock height springs (still my DD), have a hard wired anderson plug in the rear end, possibly have a rear tire carrier integrated into the stock bumper (I would like to keep things looking as OEM as possible), and figuring out what to do with the ARB signals, they finally died on me.

I'll end on the reason I have the Cruiser, this:

Just a few photos to document what I have done (list above):
The Wet Okole seat covers are amazing, they are comfortable and kind of freshen up/clean up the interior.

LED interior lights (Red in map, interior, and all marker/door lights) all from SuperBrightLEDs

And new Rigid street legal fog lights. I'll post my thoughts once I've had them for a bit. I just used the Rigid harness that came with the kit, but wired it to a illuminated rocker switch from Sea Dog that matched my other switches and looks somewhat OEM. Looks like its time to speed up my power management project :D.

Your post reminded my of my old 760 turbobrick wagon. We managed to get it pretty far off the beaten path--made it most of the way up Rollin's Pass in May/June when there were still 3' snowdrifts in the road :eek:

Sweet cruiser :cool: Yours is a great example of how great these things can be out of the box with a good set of tires.

Thanks! My aim is to keep it in that limbo of capable, but as close to stock as I can. For a rear wheel drive 90's sedan I was surprised at how far in the Volvo would take me too, and it took it all in stride.

So haven't used the Cruiser in a while except to go to Portland every weekend to plan a wedding and move (other than it being the DD). But yay new apartment!! And boo, in the move my front left knuckle decided to throw grease all over the hot brake rotor. So it is parked for a while until I can get it sorted out. Had the front axle services just 3 months ago at a land cruiser specific place. Any ideas on what would cause that to happen? Could lots of highway miles do it?

So, a little update. The Cruiser is back up and running after all the brake stuff. Turns out the bearings were way over packed and grease was being pushed out. With that all sorted the cruiser took the grand position as get away car for my wedding!! Even at the request of the Mrs. (She is a keeper :) ). Since then we have been on a push to get out camping as much as possible.

The only real update is I did the spare tire mod to get the spare tucked up more. As much as having it in the trunk got it out of the way, I don't do anything crazy enough to warrant that, and it freed up a ton of storage. ( I don't have a photo of this yet ). Most of what I will be doing this spring is maintenance/getting windows working, some Witt's End packages, and a few other upgrades. I've also ditched the light bar.

Some fun photos for the update:

With the spare tucked up and somewhat out of the way, My friends and I decided to get in a quick one night trip and actually explore the Umptanum ridge area. Pretty mild stuff, fairly easy, rocky dirt roads, that made for some nice drives with a view.

And then... this happened...

Coming up over the ridge (after the cell towers that are up there), I heard a clunking and scraping noise. We pulled over on the first flat section we found and my friend and I ended up spending a few hours at the side of the trail figuring out what was wrong and fixing it.

Turned out the spindle/hub nut (the big 54mm ones), had decided to come loose :confused:. So I was glad this happened at 5 mph and not at 70 on I90, and we had cell service/internet. So up came the FSM and Ih8mud and we got it fixed, first of probably many times this forum will save my rear end. Gave my friend a chance to use his new portable impact gun on the lug nuts. Also, fun fact, when a 54mm socket is not available, a medium sized set of plies can be wedged between the bolt and the studs, and the hub can be used to rotate it :hillbilly: (Not our proudest moment, but it got me home, and to the store for a 54mm socket). We got it all put together just at sunset, wheeled to our campsite, and then headed home the next day.

Once I got back I torn into the hub again to inspect and re tighten everything to spec. it all looked good. I think the tabs on the lock ring had not been properly bent down or something had not been set to spec.

The last few updates I've done are get the Thule rack back on and put HIR 9011 bulbs from Candlepower in the high beams. I haven't been able to test them but should this weekend.

On the portable impact gun, I carry a big dewalt one myself with a charged up battery pack. It seems really overkill but combined with some wobble sockets and extensions you can blow through a lot of projects. It won't get on everything and shouldn't be used for everything but damn if it isn't one of my most used tools.

With extension+extension I've gotten some crazy ass angles, like coming through the space between the radiator and front body to get to a frame bolt for a bumper.

Yeah, I was really blown away by it. It is now up there on my list of tools to have. I will say, after this trip, my tool kit has started to evolve and get more organized and tailored to the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom