Retrosound stereo- talk me off the ledge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I've read some success stories on ih8mud with peoples' retrosound installs... I'm pretty frustrated after spending a day and a half trying and failing to build various brackets to mount the thing in the OEM opening in my 40... I'm not super impressed with the quality of the retrosound unit- the buttons feel pretty cheap and flimsy, it doesn't come with anything to help you securely mount it, and the only thing that's at least sort of bespoke to the 40 is a super cheap plastic face plate that is too small to fully overlap the opening.

I'm considering chucking the thing in the garbage, installing a stereo delete plate, and installing a small amp with bluetooth receiver in a discreet location.

So I guess I'm posting this to hopefully hear from folks who have figured out how to mount the thing and are happy with theirs. I saw one thread where somebody made some brackets, but it doesn't have dimensions and unfortunately I don't have the OEM tabs...

I have so many other things to work on to finish up my restoration and I really didn't want to spend days getting the stereo installed.

one of these would be really easy to install. Apparently you can control the volume from your phone, so there's no need for a knob or any visible buttons at all. totally stealth. I'm just running two front speakers, nothing fancy.

I mounted the main body of my retrosound radio under the center console. They have a wiring harness where you can do this, so only the faceplate is mounted on the dash. Then you don't need to worry about the brackets and stuff. I did it so I could fit AC venting ducts behind the dash, but might work well for you. It worked out great for me.

Last edited:
very cool! I didn't realize that. I'll look into it.

I actually came across your post about this in your build thread, but I didn't read carefully enough to see that you had only mounted the faceplate. I wish I had tried to fit the radio before paint- I would have considered customizing the opening like you did... Because even if I mount only the faceplate, the cheapo plastic piece that comes with it will fit like garbage. It needs to be another at least another 1/4" tall and wide to overlap the opening correctly.

I thought about drawing up a 3D design for a new face plate and sending it off to a CNC shop to mill a custom one out of aluminum. I could probably figure out how to use that metal face plate to hold the unit in place with some visible screws. But at that point, that stealth bluetooth amp and a radio delete plate becomes a pretty appealing alternative.

A newer version of what we normally install in a 40. We usually pair this with a set of outdoor Kicker or Polk Audio speakers that we mount to the roll cage in the back down low. It's loud.

A newer version of what we normally install in a 40. We usually pair this with a set of outdoor Kicker or Polk Audio speakers that we mount to the roll cage in the back down low. It's loud.
That's a bad ass package. Just ordered one for the buggy, thanks!

I'm content with mine.

That's super interesting! Looks great.

EDIT: any advice on mounting the thing? Did you by chance take pics of the brackets you made to secure it inside the dash?

Last edited:

Very cool. I would consider this if they made a 2 channel version. If I ditch the retrosound unit, I'll be looking for as small of an amp as possible so I can hide it away somewhere.

That's super interesting! Looks great.

EDIT: any advice on mounting the thing? Did you by chance take pics of the brackets you made to secure it inside the dash?

My dash was used as a bomb testing ground I think by ISIS. Might've been a moron with a tinsnips too, but I'm not certain. This looks more like terrorist work to me.

I just used piece of angle extruded aluminum and it's kinda clamped into place against the dash. I didn't think it would hold very well, but a week of bouncing around in Colorado and it didn't budge.

oh my god. That is quite a hack job!

So my thought was kind of similar- to make brackets that attach to the side of the radio, but are bigger than the dash opening. Then make a custom CNC'd aluminum face plate with four holes in it for screws, which thread into the brackets that are bolted to the radio. So when you tighten down the screws, it sandwiches the dash in between the faceplate and the side brackets.

I've been really struggling to create brackets that fit back inside the opening using the factory dash mounting points. Access back there to bolt anything on is super limited, and measuring anything precisely is tricky. If you're off a little bit, it'll make the radio not sit centered in the opening.

I guess I just had bad expectations for the retrosound unit. I expected it to come with something that would be helpful for mounting. oh well.

So my thought was kind of similar- to make brackets that attach to the side of the radio, but are bigger than the dash opening. Then make a custom CNC'd aluminum face plate with four holes in it for screws, which thread into the brackets that are bolted to the radio. So when you tighten down the screws, it sandwiches the dash in between the faceplate and the side brackets.

That's all mine are, you have to put one side in, slip it sideways to get the other side in.

I'm doing the sandwich thing but using the threaded part of the knob stem to do it. I didn't want to look at any fasteners.

I've been really struggling to create brackets that fit back inside the opening using the factory dash mounting points. Access back there to bolt anything on is super limited, and measuring anything precisely is tricky. If you're off a little bit, it'll make the radio not sit centered in the opening.

The back mounting pin wasn't an option for me, I've got ductwork and a bunch of wiring in the way. It's a tight squeeze in the back for me.

I guess I just had bad expectations for the retrosound unit. I expected it to come with something that would be helpful for mounting. oh well.

It's a one size fits all radio. I think they figure if you can keep a zillion year old Toyota alive, this should be gravy.

This one is pretty cool as well.

what the what?! This is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, @thecrazygreek's solution is exactly what I'm after. Done and done. Thanks for making these, man! What a creative solution!

I'm bummed the retrosound unit didn't work out (and that I wasted a few days and hundreds of dollars), but I'm cutting bait.

I also got a radio delete plate from city racer. Thanks @TWatson for sharing this!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom