stereo wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see the stereo wire comes off the fuse block of my 82 FJ40. Does that wiring run off the fuse block and the back into the engine bay and around and through the firewall on the passenger side? I can't see where the stereo wires are going over to the stereo from the fuse block.

My two prong radio connector was taped from the factory with yellow tape to the harness in the radio area. Look and your will find it, unless a PO removed the wires. The wires run from the fuse panel directly to the radio area and never enter the engine compartment.

Trying to wire up the stereo I can’t find the wiring harness anywhere behind dash. Attached is photo of back of stereo. Looks like there is a 16 pin connector. I found manual online and attached what I think might be wiring diagram for the 16 pin. Do I have to have the plug that fits this connector? Can I just wire direct to it?

IMG_6577.png

IMG_6578.jpeg

IMG_6577.png

You can just wire directly to it, but it will be a lot easier and more reliable to buy a pre-wired connector that you can tap into.

Take a photo upwards from the footwell. The harness is held up against the top with some metal tabs. You can bend them loose and free the harness if you need to.

Your looking for a simple plug and play for a modern radio to a forty year old FJ40 your not going to find it. Middle East may have gotten an option for stereo but believe all US FJ40s were mono with a speaker in the glove box.

@FLoudog
Your 40 had plugs like this for the factory radio.
The 2-pin plug is 12v from fuse box and ground. The 3-pin plug is speaker positive(s) and a shared ground.
Early late model 40's had one speaker while some late late models had two. Not sure if you 82 had two speakers yet. That might have happened later on in the production. I am not sure if the 3-pin plug was installed on vehicles without the radio option though. It may have been a sub harness that came with the radio / speaker option.

Scratch that. I misread you post about the 16 pin plug on your late model

Last edited:
Your radio should have come withthe 16 pin plug for it. You need to hook up the power and speaker wires to the plugs pigtail.

@FLoudog
Your 40 had plugs like this for the factory radio.
The 2-pin plug is 12v from fuse box and ground. The 3-pin plug is speaker positive(s) and a shared ground.
Early late model 40's had one speaker while some late late models had two. Not sure if you 82 had two speakers yet. That might have happened later on in the production. I am not sure if the 3-pin plug was installed on vehicles without the radio option though. It may have been a sub harness that came with the radio / speaker option.
View attachment 3478335

US market I show three different radios used 8/80-9/83. All are AM only with just a single speaker in the glove box. Single speaker so only wired for mono. I have a later glove speaker. It has a harness long enough to get to the radio.

Have seen some stereo speakers in FJ40 that looked factory but these were 40s from different markets. Can't find any diagrams for them. Toyota has done port installed equipment back to the FJ25 thru the 3rd generation 4Runner in the US. Possible other markets got better audio than the US markets. US just a simple AM radio with a glovebox speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom