Builds Red Dawn (60 converted 62 Build Thread w/ R2.8) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:) Are you going to put an LS in it?

I got everything mounted, plumbed and wired this weekend. I noticed that these Carling Contura V switches that came with the ARB stuff are disturbingly similar in size to the copious amount of change holding capacity that is available in the center console.

46649792511_8bf1d22dfa_b.jpg

So I went for it. The openings need a bit of trimming to make everything fit, but the coin holders will still go back in if I ever change my mind for some reason and move the switches to a new location. Just a little work with a Dremel and cutoff wheel, then some hand filing. Here is a picture of the opening trimmed up.

46597256252_ae9be19862_b.jpg

How the sausage is made:

46649789401_36444708d3_b.jpg

Still space for some coins. Or maybe a front locker?

46597256442_2f61e14a2d_b.jpg

3 things about this setup so far.
1) The air system leaks like a sieve. I must have missed some teflon tape somewhere. I'll figure this out in the next couple of days.
2) The interior light dimming on the ARB switches is backwards. They get bright as everything in the cockpit goes dim. I found a schematic for a breadboard electrical solution off of a Tacoma website. I'll do this in a few weeks just so that it all works as intended.
3) The opening in the center console for these switches is not perfect. It's a bit recessed. This means that the toggle on the ARB switches actually bottoms out on the console surface before it reaches full travel. It still works, meaning that the switches still make on and off contact, but I'll work on putting a few spacers in under the switches so that the full travel of the switch is realized, probably at the same time I do the dimming fix.

Last edited:
Great write up. Nice attention to detail putting this truck right. I'm a bit biased toward red myself...

Pea Island light house south of Nags Head NC near Oregon Inlet.

Last edited:
I started modeling a cup holder insert that fits in the factory center console. Not sure if it would fit an FJ60 with the manual transmission. The first iteration seems ok. My hydraflask doesn't fit so I have to change it and print again, the wall thickness in the insert gets real thin as the cup holder diameter expands. It does use the factory mounting point in the bottom of the square cubby in the factory console to mount. Figured you all would get a kick out of seeing my hair-brained ideas.

47253048562_d240e20a7e_b.jpg

Neek,

Nothing hair-brained about that. Looks great and very functional. Well done.

Strange looking license plate you got there. ;)

Now you mentioned the r2.8 + a 6l80. I would like to know why you picked that transmission over say a tr6060 or a 6r80. I ask because I too am looking into the 6l80 transmission and am a bit stumped at which to choose.

I started modeling a cup holder insert that fits in the factory center console. Not sure if it would fit an FJ60 with the manual transmission. The first iteration seems ok. My hydraflask doesn't fit so I have to change it and print again, the wall thickness in the insert gets real thin as the cup holder diameter expands. It does use the factory mounting point in the bottom of the square cubby in the factory console to mount. Figured you all would get a kick out of seeing my hair-brained ideas.

47253048562_d240e20a7e_b.jpg

I like this idea. Is there only one made? or are you producing these. I'd like to try it in my 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom