Recommendations for, experiences with trailers for long hauling FJ40s. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lots of people long hauling 40s around on trailers with various levels of efficiency sturdiness, suitability and safety. Let’s hear what seems to work, what doesn’t. What’s borderline or substandard or overkill. What GVWs, construction/build types, suspensions, brake axels, tiedowns, ramps, towability, adaptability? Experiences with various brands. Suitability for tow rig sizes.

Lots of people long hauling 40s around on trailers with various levels of efficiency sturdiness, suitability and safety. Let’s hear what seems to work, what doesn’t. What’s borderline or substandard or overkill. What GVWs, construction/build types, suspensions, brake axels, tiedowns, ramps, towability, adaptability? Experiences with various brands. Suitability for tow rig sizes.
This is timely. We will be picking up a U-haul car carrier this afternoon to transport our 40 down to the coast. Hopefully, everything goes smoothly. But if anyone has any words of advice, I'd love to hear them before tomorrow morning. (Towing vehicle F250)
Thanks.

Not sure why there is any question. Get a good trailer that has capacity for what you are towing and meets the towing capacity of your tow rig. Uhaul is always a crapshoot, you are relying on their maintenance and care.

I have a load trail... it is really nice. Tow with a 2500HD, 6.0L gas. Will go all day. Find a dealer and tell them what you are doing and they should know exactly what you need.

Uhaul car trailer rental, towed with my Hundy or sequoia. Brought many a 40 home using this. 50$ plus the 8$ insurance. I do local rental, drive a couple hundred miles to get a rig and return. No issues so far. Always bring my strap collection, a winch or come along, cardboard, a portable compressor, jack and my tools.

Think about what else you can use the trailer for. I would do min 10k, 6 lug axles, same as Toyota. I have used 60 series wheels on them in the past. Get 10 ply tires. Debate on metal or wood deck. I have one of each. Wood will need to be replaces every some many years even when treated. Length.... To buy new I would go 18'. You can carry more than just a 40 and it makes the angles better for tie down straps. you do not want your staps going straight down. Electric brakes on both axles. extra tie downs, stake pockets work, rub rails are nice too. Think about drive over fenders and a 81-81" deck width. AND upgrade tounge jack so you can drop the trailer with a car on it and not have the jack crumble. Extended tongue so you do not bash your tow rig and extra room for a storage box on it. 2" reciever on the front to mount a portable winch. Beaver tail/dove tail on the back to help with breakover angle.

Think about what else you can use the trailer for. I would do min 10k, 6 lug axles, same as Toyota. I have used 60 series wheels on them in the past. Get 10 ply tires. Debate on metal or wood deck. I have one of each. Wood will need to be replaces every some many years even when treated. Length.... To buy new I would go 18'. You can carry more than just a 40 and it makes the angles better for tie down straps. you do not want your staps going straight down. Electric brakes on both axles. extra tie downs, stake pockets work, rub rails are nice too. Think about drive over fenders and a 81-81" deck width. AND upgrade tounge jack so you can drop the trailer with a car on it and not have the jack crumble. Extended tongue so you do not bash your tow rig and extra room for a storage box on it. 2" reciever on the front to mount a portable winch. Beaver tail/dove tail on the back to help with breakover angle.
I usually agree with overkill but for most half tons at 7500lb towing capacity, overkill eats up your towing capacity.

I bought a used trailer from Ahern Rentals in Las Vegas, NV years ago, it was almost identical to this one: Car Trailer | Best Trailer Inc - https://besttrailerinc.com/car-trailer/

It was very sturdy and well built, and could also be used to haul heavier construction equipment - I used in a lot when building up my property NW of town.

My tow vehicles are both Silverado 2500HDs, an '01 with the 8.1L gasoline engine, and the '09 with a Duramax - towing capacity for both is 12,000 lb. or more. The long wheelbase on the '09 crew cab long bed handles better than the '01 regular cab.

Last edited:
I bought this one right at 20 years ago. 16' with a 2' dove, 3500lb axles, brakes on one axle. 7k Fulton jack on the front of the frame so it can hold cars when it's unhooked and it clears a tow rig tailgate. Good size for a 40 and will fit an 80. I have a toolbox on the winch plate to keep the straps, etc. in. Ramps stored underneath. Stake pockets on the sides so you can add 2x4's as rails for whatever you want. Runs 7.00x15 bias trailer tires. I replace them every 5 years or so and never had a problem. I've replaced the wood deck maybe 3 times and could probably stand another one soon.
You could get away with less and more never hurts, but this has been perfect for me.
2011-03-20161524.jpg

fj40-4th.jpg

We are planning on heading out in the morning to take Green Bean to her new home at the coast. About 300 mile drive. Hope all goes well.

10.27.2021.Tow.1.jpg

10.27.2021.Tow.2.jpg

I have used a 16 ft 7000lb gvwr trailer a few times to heal my 40. The last time being from Maryland to western Montana.

Like @matzell stated, dual brake axles.

I pulled on a 48" hitch extension also.
20170706_201251.jpg
20170705_161438.jpg

400 some miles home a few months ago. Old old old UHaul auto transport. No issues at all.

44891387-8854-4E06-92D6-A9FF0A0866C1.jpeg

AB3F6C4A-241F-416D-836E-91AAD08496B1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom