Recommendations for, experiences with trailers for long hauling FJ40s. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is my current set up. It works great for most Land Cruisers... It does not have much room for anything else.
Specs: Old Demco rental fleet trailer, added all steel deck, 7k axles, elec brakes on both axles, basket straps for up to 40" tires in the front, stake pockets added, hidden spare tire mount rear floor of deck, 2 5/16 tongue., 2" receiver mount on front, drive over fenders. I have carried 40s, 60s, 80,s 200s, a Bently, 70 Torino, 60 F250.

It tows great, way overbuilt, but I do not have much money in it. I also have a 30' gooseneck open deck and a 24' eclosed trailer. This is just a small simple one to move stuff around. It has a 12' deck on it.

4573 on trailer.jpeg

I have been crossing my straps but am going to change going forward. Recently got a new set of Mac's tie downs and they have a good argument against crossing.

I'll add my opinion. The U-haul's are sometimes sketchy, and they are surprisingly heavy. In my experience they don't brake well with their inertia brakes, which is likely a maintenance issue.

I went with a custom order from Ranch King They will custom build anything you want. It was less expensive when I ordered mine than buying one off the lot. Mine has well over 140k miles on it. Other than experiencing tire failures due to road debris, no issues - I carry 2 spares now.

10k GWWR, dual brake axles, 2ft dove tail, full width trailer deck, extended the tongue by 12 inches (can purposely jackknife it without hitting the truck to turn around if needed), tongue box and winch mount. I have since added a removable Davit crane for loading engines and axles.

The deck is perforated to use wheel straps. These straps are dead simple to put on and I can load a truck in less than 10 minutes.

For me this was one of the best purchases I have made and this trailer sees a lot of heavy duty work.

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5877.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom