Engine recommendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am watching this. I have a ‘72 with a 305 mated to the stock 3 speed. It came out of AZ so pretty much rust free. Unfortunately PO I think mounted up the engine back close to firewall so not having to change driveshafts but switched front to back in doing so the engine overheats at idle. I read in Downey catalog years ago the Chevy needs to be spaced forward away firewall. Has stock radiator. Not sure if all this is true but mine definitely overheats...

Yes, if jammed back against the firewall most small blocks will overheat. There's just no prop wash through the engine bay. Like you said, the PO placed the engine there to avoid relocating the trans/transfer and getting new driveshafts.

One of the solutions back in the day was to run a Ranger Overdrive between the bellhousing and the transmission. This moved the Chevy engine forward about 5 or 6 inches iirc and the 3 speed (or 4 speed) stayed right where they were from the factory. I don't think Rangers were very popular and kinda disappeared in the mid 1990s.

If you're set against the V8 then get an inline six that keeps the running gear where it is. 292s are thirsty but are much more powerful than a 2F. The smaller GM inline sixes seem to work okay and then there's Ford 300s as well. With a 2F you can ditch whatever crossmember you're running under the transfer case. The trans/transfer will hang off the back without support.

I will say this: If you sell before correcting the issues you have, make sure your buyer knows the score.

Another engine option is a gm 4200. They make full torque below 2000k rpm.

I waited for the TrailBlazer to come out as I was interested in the motor and wanted a wagon at the time. A family member bought one and it was a great vehicle for them. Ultimately I couldn't get past the zany oil pan. Looks like there are solutions now. A NA version would be interesting in 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom