Rear sliding windows - rebuild (step by step - LOTS of pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. Super helpful. I'll take a look when i get back on Wednesday.

Resurrecting this thread a touch. I'm in the midst of reconditioning a set of sliders I got last year (finally made the time to work on them).

A few questions on the rebuild:

_ Does anyone know if the weather stripping on top @red66toy referenced is imperative? Costing it out those bad boys are not cheap from overseas (ie Japan). I didn't see @sl33py mention anything about it, nor anything in Tinkers build.
_ Those rubber wedges, which way do they face to make the drainage work properly?

Resurrecting this thread a touch. I'm in the midst of reconditioning a set of sliders I got last year (finally made the time to work on them).

A few questions on the rebuild:

_ Does anyone know if the weather stripping on top @red66toy referenced is imperative? Costing it out those bad boys are not cheap from overseas (ie Japan). I didn't see @sl33py mention anything about it, nor anything in Tinkers build.
_ Those rubber wedges, which way do they face to make the drainage work properly?

Hey there, sorry for not replying earlier to your message. So the weatherstripping around the top and down the side is most likely there to serve as a centering devise to make sure the windows goes in correctly. The wedges also help with the centering but allow drainage out of the holes at the bottom of the frames. I believe the wedges had the thick side face out from the vehicle if I remember correctly. I am not sure how the window would fit without these two components. I found a likely good candidate (and cheap) weatherstripping on Amazon that is about the right dimensions. Its a D-shaped door weatherstripping. I should have it in a couple days and I'll post up if it is indeed close to the OEM piece.

No worries, I appreciate any and all insight you can provide. Let me know on the Amazon weather stripping.

Where'd you get the rubber blocks? I'm considering making mine out of a larger rubber brick of some sorts to reduce costs on this build!

Are you going to do the install yourself?

Yeah a small group of us in Seattle are going to install them ourselves. Collective brain power! :)

As for the blocks, order them through through a MUD supporting vendor, such as @beno if you have some other parts to order as well (see his thread for details). I believe that is where @NookShneer got them. They are pretty cheap and you don't need many.

I said I was starting on my rear sliders a year ago and I've only just pulled my finger - and the windows - out. The old rubber came out in a multitude of dried up pieces no longer than 1cm. And a big dump of bulldust. One frame rusted out on lower corner, luckily I have a spare.

Does anyone have a clue as to what colour the windows would have originally been painted? It's like a charcoal black with a touch of metallic in it, or was once upon a time. Cheers.

Finally got the rear sliding windows sorted. To answer my own question - above - I used a Subaru colour called ' charcoal black metallic' but it looks like good ole original black. Does have a bit of metallic sparkle.

I was given a good tip by a Cruiser mate here who used a punch to cut out the holes for the drainage slots. Works well and saves time of which I didn't have a lot of.

I stuck the windows in with buytl band which was how Toyota did it originally. It's clean to work with ( once you've cleaned the old stuff away) and when the window was in position I pulled it all in with a G-clamp that I moved around the frame. The windows are firm in there, ain't going anywhere. Ready for another thirty-five years service and thousands of KMs of corrugations ( bit thin on the ground around here!)

Did some bodywork repairs on the rear wings at the same time, hence the sparkly new Toyota 474 country copper metallic.

20170603_172713_zpsl88tpxff.jpg

20170603_171446_zps2hujh0lz.jpg

20170603_202145_zpsdh6jlpfb.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have any info on what wheatherstip to use for old style SOR sliding windows? Do they use the same weather strip as oem Aussie windows or?? Thanks.

The weather stripping that the windows slide in? JC Whitney sells generic WS for sliders. Just make sure the dimensions are similar. I’m not sure if the SOR versions use the same as the OEM sliders dimensions wise.

An update to this thread: I just got my sliding windows in from Australia today and started digging into finding the double channel weather stripping. If JC Whitney still makes it, I couldn’t find it. I finally fell into a 4 runner forum thread and what looks like the same stuff referenced for the 4 runner sliding windows. Try searching “Fairchild 06378”. I bought three 8 ft. sections. I’ll update once I confirm fit. See the link and pic below:

87D82D24-1BA5-40B1-9E44-437D340AC2A9.png

I'm stoked other folks are doing this upgrade to their 60's.... that and the WagonGear Storage panels were my favorite improvements to mine. Keep it up.

I'm stoked other folks are doing this upgrade to their 60's.... that and the WagonGear Storage panels were my favorite improvements to mine. Keep it up.
Yup, I love it. We did it in anticipation of dogs mainly but for sleeping in the back it will be nice as well. Now I need to figure out a good screen for them.

Hi guys. The chrome part of the vertical edge (in the middle of the window when closed) is meant to be on the outside of the car, right? And is the Toyota logo in the glass meant to be readable from the outside or from the inside? Thanks

@kelly saad awesome step by step and materials list

My turn! I've got a set to rebuild!

Did anyone ever figure out why Toyodiy lists part numbers for 1980-1984 and 1984-1987? Guess it doens't matter when using non-toyota parts for the rebuild?

Was looking over mine and noticed some odd shaped additional weatherstrippng on the bottom of both of my AUS windows....I haven't seen it mentioned before and I've read through 5 or 6 rebuild threads here? Its old and cracking as is all the weatherstrip on my set.

I have a bunch of part numbers saved and have reached out to Scotts Old Rubber in AUS, but anyone have updated tips/tricks/part numbers?

Thanks

IMG_20221110_173732847.jpg

IMG_20221110_173705502.jpg

IMG_20221110_173716122.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom