Rear sliding windows - rebuild (step by step - LOTS of pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next i'll see how i need to cut the WS to fit. The bends of OEM are sliced to better conform, and cut drain holes for bottom.

I would be great to see how you cut the WS before installing it. I'd like to see how you slice it before I do mine. ;)

I got a small start today but only pulled one apart and got the purple tint removed. :rolleyes:

Tinker / Steve - i sent you an email - would love the fur to replace on mine and the spacers mine are missing. thank you sir!

FR / Chris - sure no problem. I only cleaned the stickers off of one of mine too. Being lazy getting the second done. I want to get them tinted before I reassemble, so might be a bit of a holdup on completing this "how-to". Though the tough parts should be done by that point.

rob

I found an easy way to clean the ancient purple tint off of mine using a chrome cleaner I had in the garage. It cleaned my really cruddy chrome wheels so nice I decided to try it on my glass. Pretty cool, soaked the glass for 30 minutes and then ran it under hot water. The tint almost peeled off. ;)

Meguiar's Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner

I got some of the Gorilla glue to use when i glue in the new weather strip - think it's too strong? I also have some 3M Super 77 spray if that would be better... Anyone have thoughts on this.

Is it really necessary? I stripped my old w/s out and it sue doesn't look like there was ever any adhesive.

:confused:

Naw, no adhesive. You slice the bottoms of the corners perpendicular to the length of the weatherstrip at 1/8-3/16" intervals with a single-edged razor blade. New Xacto blade for the drain holes (biggest PITA of the project).

Hey, everybody, make sure you've emailed me (steve@restocustoms.com) for the caterpillar fur & spacers. I'd like to go to the PO once & make it as simple as possible (read Priority Mail). I'll try to make up instructions to include, too. But I have a RJ (or a full-time substitute for same) so please excuse my tardiness.

Thanks Steve, it all makes more sense when a guy pulls the old ones apart. No adhesive, seeing the corner slices on what remains, etc. Any tips on getting the w/s in for those of us with ten thumbs?

So far I've got TexasAgFJ60, Sl33py, Brian Harcombe (didn't reveal his real Mud name), & Front Range 4x4. Shipping will be $5 to your door Priority Mail. Again, I hate the PO so I only want to make 1 trip. Email me your address & PayPal me $5 at steve@restocustoms.com

Chris - I don't remember inserting the weatherstrip in the frame being a problem. Try it & call me if you're having trouble.

Is it really necessary? I stripped my old w/s out and it sue doesn't look like there was ever any adhesive.

:confused:

I'm going to do the ends like mine had. Let me see if the pic shows it clearly:
DSC_7791.JPG

hopefully w/ this cropped you can kind of see the adhesive. Was like rubber cement, just at the ends where they touched (on side near window lock). And i clipped my fingernails after this...embarassing...lol.

so i'm going to use the gorilla glue i think. i know it dries white, so hopefully will just put a couple dabs under the WS to hold it.

Thanks Tinker - i'll paypal you for the fur and spacers!

rob

So far I've got TexasAgFJ60, Sl33py, Brian Harcombe (didn't reveal his real Mud name), & Front Range 4x4. Shipping will be $5 to your door Priority Mail. Again, I hate the PO so I only want to make 1 trip. Email me your address & PayPal me $5 at steve@restocustoms.com

Chris - I don't remember inserting the weatherstrip in the frame being a problem. Try it & call me if you're having trouble.

You skipped my name:crybaby:

Dynosoar:zilla:

I'll do that, got the frames painted so I should be able to get to it in the next few days I hope.

It's prob too late but I use a lot of whats called "Goop, or Plumbers, Marine Goop" You can buy it at Lowes or Home Dep. It's silicone based, clear drying glue. I use in on the truck, tents, canvas, Fiber glass, metal, and even on the Ghillie Suit. It's the best stuff ever. Or E6000, can be bougt at the same places mentioned above. Comes in a tube to be used in a Caulk Gun.

My 2 cents

Tinker if you can add me to the list as well, that would be fantastic.

Let me know when to send the paypal and I'll send you my address.

Hey guys,

Did mine today. I have a different style center bar. It has 4 screws, two on top and two on bottom. Also, only one center mounted caterpillar. I removed all four, slid the glass to the center position, pulled the outside pane first, then the center bar, then the inner pane. It all came apart very easy, one person job.

I ordered my new weather stripping today. Once it comes in I'll post up the pics. My old WS has no adhesive securing it to the frame.

Here's some pics from today. I just sanded them and sprayed with Hammerite Gray.

Forgot to ask, does anyone have some scrap so I can save 20 bucks and order just two? Thanks.
DSCN3342.jpg
DSCN3344.jpg
DSCN3349.jpg

Last edited:
Alpen - I have a scrap i can send you - PM me your contact info.

I've been slacking guys (dual batts installed, both t/c trans full syn, tar mat removed damplifier started)! Got the fur and spacer last night - Thanks Tinker!!

rob

Mine are done, installed with ******* & Chucks help. Thanks guys! :)

One word of caution, it appears the w/s may be a bit different than the original even though I ordered using the same number. Their supplier may have changed and the current stock may be a bit wider. There's no way I can know but it installed a bit harder than what Tinker had for his. It still worked so all's good.

:cheers:

Last edited:
So my solid glass got cut out today out today and I need to get my sliders in ASAP. I have a couple of questions for you guys:

Where did you get the adhesive and where exactly did you apply it on the window frame? Where I colored in red on the install page?
What did you guys use for the welt on the inside of the frame? Did you put the welt on the pinch weld and then glue the frame in to that?
The JC whitney part number changed and I can't find the weatherstripping on the site. Style 30 is no longer the weatherstrip you guys used. Help with that?

Thanks guys.
Side Window Instructions.jpg

I know everyone uses butyl for adhesive but that's not always a good idea. In fact, even when installed properly by an "expert" the results may not be good and the window may just happen to fall out at something like 60mph and smash to a million pieces. :mad:

My "new" set will be epoxied in place at a body shop that was amazed that in 2009 people are still using butyl.

I know everyone uses butyl for adhesive but that's not always a good idea. In fact, even when installed properly by an "expert" the results may not be good and the window may just happen to fall out at something like 60mph and smash to a million pieces. :mad:

My "new" set will be epoxied in place at a body shop that was amazed that in 2009 people are still using butyl.

Soooo, they epoxy straight to the welt after putting the welt on over the pinch weld?

They should NOT be attached to the welting, that's just for looks. Maybe it adds a bit of strength too when installed over the inside frame of the window and the pinch weld but the welting should not be used as a surface for adhesion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom