Aftermarket Horn install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Man, what a difference they make. No splicing of the stock wires needed, just a little modifying.

Got these 20% cheaper at a SuperAutobacs store. They have a website, but don't think you can get them online with the discount.

****EDIT THIS STORE IS NO LONGER AROUND SO GOOGLE THE BRAND AND TRY YOUR LUCK IN FINDING THEM******

New horn vs old horn. Dang that thing even looks wimpy:

Tip: Make sure you get the correct horn on the side it should be on. If you get this brand of horn, you will see what I mean. The connections face in a way that will allow for the stock wiring/blade terminal to reach the new horn terminals. They will also bolt right up to the existing hole.

After removing the headlight bezels, carefully disconnect the electrical connections to the old horns.
This is what they look like from a front view:

Carefully remove the rubber plug that seals the back of the connection.
Stick a small flat blade screwdriver into the front of the connector. There is a locking tab that is part of the metal blade that you can depress down and then pull the wire with the blade terminal out:

The original blade connectors will fit onto the new horn terminals. You might have to squeeze them a little to get them to fit nice and snug:

I used shrink tubing to protect the wiring and blade terminal from the elements:

Shrink tubing shrunk:

Final product installed:

Once I figured out which horn went where, it took me all of 20 minutes to do.

A 1 :banana: job.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
That style is so much better if you have enough room to face the trumpets towards the front. As of now I use a couple Wolo "Bad Boy" horns. A bit high pitched, but FxxxING LOUD and a definite attention getter. They'll work until I have onboard air and a set of train horns :D

Bump for Manuchao.

Forgot I had done a write-up on these.

The place that sold these is closed where I live, but I know they have a store in Stanton, Ca (Orange County). I tried Googling them to see if anyone sells them, but I couldn't find them.

Paint them flat black!!!!

Dynosoar:zilla:

Them horns are LOUD !!!
Thanks for the post dude...
you should of put this on the "under $50 mods"...thread....

This looked so simple and cheap I went for it. The old horns didn't even work. (Plug in wires, touch wires to battery and... nothing.) So the new ones are in and hooked up, and the wont honk. If one screw behind the steering wasn't stripped I could take that off and check in there. Anywhere else I should be checking for problems? (And don't say "The FUSE!" because I already did)

I would start with checking to see if you're getting voltage to the terminals. Get a multi-meter and have someone depress the horn button while you check to see if you're getting voltage when "honking".

Thanks guys! I'll see what I can do. Electrical problems piss me off, but I can totally handle a mechanical problem. Weird.

problem is most likely at the steering wheel or column rather than the horns themselves. If you can find which wire is the horn wire at the column and then ground that wire...the horn should work. If you've swapped steering wheels you may have a problem with the way the new steering wheel is installed relative to the horn.

the horn contact in the wheel is a spring-loaded brass stick. They wear out. IIRC: cost from CDan was <$10 for a new one, and it took about 1 minute to install once you pull the wheel off.

It's the stock steering wheel. But here's some new developments in my horn problem. I checked the fuse again, and it was burned out, so I put in another and ZAP! it instantly burned out. Do these new horns require a different fuse? Or do I just have a gnarly short somewhere? Oh, one more thing. The elctrical diagram says it's a 15A fuse, but the fuse box lid in the truck says it's a 10A. WTF?

Last edited:
If the fuse pops like that right off the bat, then I assume you have a dead short to ground. Check for a pinched wire or maybe where a screw went through the wiring.

Crud, I hate following wire. :bang:

you could always just run a new wire. might be less PITA

Alright, I found the short and fixed it. The fuse doesn't burn out now (yay! I have hazard lights again!) but the horn still doesn't sound. Must be that thingy in the steering column you guys were talking about. I'll look into that as soon as my fingers thaw out.

Alright, I found the short and fixed it. The fuse doesn't burn out now (yay! I have hazard lights again!) but the horn still doesn't sound. Must be that thingy in the steering column you guys were talking about. I'll look into that as soon as my fingers thaw out.

Good for you....you're on your way now....:steer:

Just knocked this out - thanks for the great write up - 20min tops... well worth the effort!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom