Rear Bar Swingaway Spindle Quality - Has anyone used cheaper ones? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has got any feedback on these cheaper type weld on spindles for a swingaway arm. They're about $30US ($50AU)

Would love to know where people have sourced theirs from when building a rear bar!!

Joe

s-l640.png

not understanding. You want it cheaper than AU$50? For what you are getting that is a good price.

I think they want to know if anyone has used this cheap product, and if so what their experience has been with it.

not understanding. You want it cheaper than AU$50? For what you are getting that is a good price.

Hey, as @ElPolloBlanco said... Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the cheaper items... if they have found the bearings to be poor quality or have play in the housing. :)

In my opinion I would spend the extra money for a known quality spindle. It’s probably good to go though. I think you should see what material the hub is made out of and thickness. That’s where you are gonna weld your swing out to.

What happens if the cheap spindle fails on the roadway?
Thats not exact a part to cut a corner on in my opinion. It's a critical part to properly securing a heavy and large item.

What happens if the cheap spindle fails on the roadway?
Thats not exact a part to cut a corner on in my opinion. It's a critical part to properly securing a heavy and large item.
What kind of failure would you expect where it become a big issue? Do you think the spindle would shear off? I think that unlikely even on a cheap spindle. But then again, I've never seen or used on of these so my opinion isn't based on any knowledge. But that's par for the course around here :)

Yes, they can be prone to fail and break. I know of this occuring in two separate occasions. Could have been the welds or spindle, hard to know but it happens. It's unlikely but my point was thats not necessarily a part worth going cheap on especially with a large tire mounted.

I would be more concerned about the weld failing.
These are the ones I used on my homebuilt bumper

Ruffstuff has legit parts. You can always wait for Dan’s sales. His shipping costs are very good.

Last edited:
What kind of failure would you expect where it become a big issue? Do you think the spindle would shear off? I think that unlikely even on a cheap spindle. But then again, I've never seen or used on of these so my opinion isn't based on any knowledge. But that's par for the course around here :)
Spindles can definitely shear off. Seen a few over the years. Most definitely worth getting a quality spindle and one with an appropriate rating. Also makes a big difference if it's welded in a single shear or double shear design. Best option is to have the lower spindle welded near the top and bottom of the section below the bearing/hinge area, AND have a retaining tab at the top bearing cap. That is the most sturdy and least likely to shear the spindle.

On mine I don't have a tab at the top bearing cap, but I have the lower spindle passing through the bumper top AND bottom and welded both ends. Next best method I guess for a spindle without a top retaining tab.
spindle.jpg

looking for red handle and lever (don't know what its called) as mine has busted !

I’d be more concerned with the quality of the spindle itself rather then the bead you lay dow, Just so long as you trust your handy work. It’s not likely to break off from your weld...at least I made sure of this. Ran it all the way around.

003CEEB6-B286-4026-BB7A-FD92B1784B52.jpeg

Hey @Box Rocket, I like that you've put the base through the whole section. Was tring to figure a nice way to give it the strength it needs.

I think all up I'll spend the extra a better quality unit. Thought of losing a spare tyre off the back isn't great. Always worth the question though, picked up a few tips along the way!

Thanks all!

Spindles can definitely shear off. Seen a few over the years. Most definitely worth getting a quality spindle and one with an appropriate rating. Also makes a big difference if it's welded in a single shear or double shear design. Best option is to have the lower spindle welded near the top and bottom of the section below the bearing/hinge area, AND have a retaining tab at the top bearing cap. That is the most sturdy and least likely to shear the spindle.

On mine I don't have a tab at the top bearing cap, but I have the lower spindle passing through the bumper top AND bottom and welded both ends. Next best method I guess for a spindle without a top retaining tab.
View attachment 2228050

Also, where do I search for to find a spring loaded retaining pin with the round knob on top... typical of what most seem to use? Can't find them anywhere....

Little picture update too...

Welding up the wing, cover plates to the inside of the checkout for the corner of the panel. I used 3mm plate and put a couple of scores in the back of it them used a square head mallet to get the curve. Worked a treat. Tricky spot to weld though, will put this piece in first on the other side, before the under body plates go on.

Welding is slowly getting better, I've got solid wire and gas to hook up to the mig once I've finished this spool of flux wire. Looking forward to that!!

View attachment 2234398

Also, where do I search for to find a spring loaded retaining pin with the round knob on top... typical of what most seem to use? Can't find them anywhere....

looking for red handle and lever (don't know what its called) as mine has busted !

These guys typically have them:

The brand you are looking for is De-Sta-Co (destaco) clamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom