Rear Axle Help FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Regrettably, my first post on here is not as positive as I would have hoped. I recently purchased a 1997 LX450 with a bit of a rust issue. It turns out that it is a bit worse than I originally thought. The shop that I have it at, just informed me that the entire rear axle needs to be replaced.

This truck does have the factory lockers and I certainly want to retain that much.

-Should I try to find an OEM? Is there a part number for the entire assembly?
-Is there a 3rd party offering that may be a better choice than factory?
-Any good places to look for these things? I am in East Texas.

Thank you in advance for any advice or help.

pics??

I would look in the parting thread. Maybe get an unlocked housing and convert it.

Sounds like the story of my first 80 purchase but worse. I dealt with it by selling it two months later and never considered an 80 that lived on the coast again. Live and learn..........

My bro in law has a rear locked axle from a wrecked 97 80 series. PM me and I'll connect you with him. The wrinkle is that it is in MD.

My bro in law has a rear locked axle from a wrecked 97 80 series. PM me and I'll connect you with him. The wrinkle is that it is in MD.
I think I just sent you a pm. My apologies, I just got on this forum. I did a “start conversation” with you. If that’s not it, please let me know. And thank you very kindly for the lead.

Why does it need to be replaced? I'd ask him or her to walk you through his reasoning and provide evidence.
I’m sort of asking myself the same thing. I plan on going to his shop tomorrow to see if I can’t better assess how extensive the rust is. I’ve seen it up on a lift only briefly and I didn’t see anything that lead me to believe it was that bad. I will try to get some pictures and post them up here to see if I can get some options. I certainly understood that the rear axle on these things were about the stoutest component on them.

You can convert a standard axle housing but it can be a challenge to the the 3rd member to seal properly. Much better off to find a used locked housing.

This is your excuse for a diamond housing. Diamond Axles - Rear/Non-Steering Axles

When I priced out a new OEM front housing years ago it was around a grand. I was able to repair mine. It wasn’t a rust issue. Otherwise I was going to do the diamond for not much more.

I also agree if the housing is rusted so bad replacement is required it might be best to walk away. What does the rest look like?

Regrettably, my first post on here is not as positive as I would have hoped. I recently purchased a 1997 LX450 with a bit of a rust issue. It turns out that it is a bit worse than I originally thought. The shop that I have it at, just informed me that the entire rear axle needs to be replaced.

This truck does have the factory lockers and I certainly want to retain that much.

-Should I try to find an OEM? Is there a part number for the entire assembly?
-Is there a 3rd party offering that may be a better choice than factory?
-Any good places to look for these things? I am in East Texas.

Thank you in advance for any advice or help.

Should be pretty easy. You need a replacement rear axle assembly. You live pretty much in the ArkLaTex so three States to choose from (Salvage Yards).

A cursory search turned up two rear axle assemblies (4:10 ratio, Locker) in Dallas.

PartsHotlines Used Cart Parts

@arcteryx is near you (at least as close as you can be in TX.)

Also @slow95z

Buy a whole used assembly. If you need a locked axle, you can do it to a non-locked with modifications.

We also need pics to tell you if you need a new mechanic.

If the rear axle is corroded that badly, I still say sell that cancer wagon and move on. It will never end.

If the rear axle is corroded that badly, I still say sell that cancer wagon and move on. It will never end.

I definitely would be re-evaluating this rig. Rust is a killer of vehicles. Make sure you're not throwing good money after bad. Better to take the hit now.

Thank you all, for the responses and insight. I am meeting the mechanic this afternoon. I will take pictures and post them up for your further evaluation.

I really hope it's not as bad as he is making out. I absolutely love the truck. What is really odd to me, is that when I was researching the truck before purchase, I found the title transfer history originally from Arkansas, then to Georgia, back to Arkansas, and finally to Louisiana, where i picked it up from. Not really salt states but I guess someone could have had a vacation home in New York or something.

Ga can be a salty state. You have coastal regions and then the mountains.

I have several unlocked housings, one locked housing and I have a complete locked rear I wanted to use for myself but I could be talked out of it for the right price.

It's pretty common for Toyota trucks in the rust belt to develop pinholes in the rear axle housings from rust. Sure, you could patch them up, but it's a pain. Being in TX, you should be able to find a clean axle housing locally very easily. Non-locked will do (and should be much cheaper), as the modifications required to retrofit your locker into one are VERY easy.

Another common area for rust is panhard/control arm mounts. I've seen those rotten to the point where they just crumbled.

But as others have said - if the truck is rusted to the point where the axle housing NEEDS to be replaced, it's best to cut your losses and get rid of it. Badly rusted trucks is pretty much the norm around here. Being in Texas you have no excuse for putting up with that s***.

Last edited:
Reactions: wxm
Thank you all, for the responses and insight. I am meeting the mechanic this afternoon. I will take pictures and post them up for your further evaluation.

I really hope it's not as bad as he is making out. I absolutely love the truck. What is really odd to me, is that when I was researching the truck before purchase, I found the title transfer history originally from Arkansas, then to Georgia, back to Arkansas, and finally to Louisiana, where i picked it up from. Not really salt states but I guess someone could have had a vacation home in New York or something.
Possibly may have been used to launch watercraft in the ocean.

Alright, hopefully I can get these pictures to post. Baldilocks, I think you may have pegged it. The front is nowhere near as bad as the rear. Your hypothesis is the only one that makes sense.

Slow95, I will be contacting you shortly, to see what kind of a deal we can work out. My mechanic is offering to blast my current axle but I may prefer to replace.

0FDDB0E0-3881-4DD0-B9A4-74A4ECD1EB7B.jpeg

22BD5FA6-FA03-43E7-B687-95B0C06547B4.jpeg

17386DEB-BEE4-4D9F-B607-2BC3FCE4C247.jpeg

If that truck was for sale up here, it would be advertised as "almost rust free"...

Did your mechanic say why exactly the axle needs to be replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom