Re key or have it done by locksmith? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short, I need to re key an ignition key cylinder, and as I have no experience doing it myself, I am wondering how to go about it. I looked online for videos and I didn't find anything particularly useful.
So, any advice or pointers, or do I bust out the wallet and get it done.

Take it to a locksmith. Should not cost that much.

you can buy they whole ignition cylinder with 2 keys in the aftermarket for cheap starting around $15. it is very easy to remove the old cylinder as long as you can still turn it. remove lower dash piece, turn key to ignition 2 and then press button on they ignition cylinder housing and it will pull/slide right out. installation is even easier. matching the new keys to the doors is another story.

Thanks liveoak, just ordered form partsgeek. I have the old one out,
I guess at some point I will have to get a locksmith involved for the doors.
Here are a few pictures, cuz everybody loves picture, 88 standard cab, new 22re performance built motor, new radiator, alternator, LCE header,
ball joints, shocks, wheel bearings, rebuilt hubs. front diff is rebuilt (stock), Transfer case rebuilt(stock), 1" M/C, V6 calipers, and 1" wheel cylinders.
Rear wheel bearings next, finish interior and drive the snot outta it, till the next round of upgrades.

DSCF0035.JPG

DSCF0036.JPG

DSCF0037.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG

Last edited:

If you haven’t found anyone for keys yet, here’s a mud vendor. I can’t speak for his service, but prices seem good.

Is the problem that you don't have a good key anymore? If you want to go back to an fresh original cut key, you can pop off the passenger door card, reach in and remove the cylinder, and the factory key number will be stamped into the bottom. Take it with your registration to a dealer and they can cut you a fresh key.

Reactions: Zor
Hey KLF, my key is worn down, but still works on the 88 column.I messed up my original non tilt column putting it back in after taking it out to do my dash.
Basically I hit it with a hammer and collapsed it. I tried to pull it back out, and wasn't able to get it out far enough. I sourced an 86 column from a wrecking yard, but it has no key. The key for the 88 wont freely turn the 86 column. So, I ordered a new lock and cylinder and will use 2 keys( ignition and doors) until I get the rest of the parts for the tilt swap.
Basically, I'm a dumb ass, and its costing me money that I could be spending elsewhere on the truck.:(

If you want to go back to an fresh original cut key, you can pop off the passenger door card, reach in and remove the cylinder, and the factory key number will be stamped into the bottom. Take it with your registration to a dealer and they can cut you a fresh key.

This. Get your door key code. Take key code to dealer. Have dealer cut you a batch of super nice fresh keys. Take new lock cylinder, with new key, to lock smith. Donedeal. Everything matches.

OK, now that I see the problem/situation, I would do exactly as @pappy says. Having different keys would be a hassle. GM used to do that on their cars up till the 70's and it sucked.

Seventies? My '93 and '94 have the double keys.

Really? I didn't realize. My last GM product was an early 80's Caprice (company car), and I think it may have had 2 different keys. I would have thought they would have gotten rid of them soon after that.

Yep. Both have an oval and square key - oval for the doors and square for the ignition. Maybe they changed over to a single key in cars earlier than that? I know that sometime since then they did on the trucks because a friend's 2014 Chevy has a single key.

Recently, too, it was necessary to reinstall the ignition key and I spent 3-4 hours on it and everything did not work out. I had to turn to the master, who quickly coped with the work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom