22RE Harmonic balancer/Crank pulley rebuild or replace? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched around but didn't find anything pertaining to anyone ever having their front crank pulley rebuilt. So I will start by saying I'm a huge stickler for buying OEM parts and really groan when it comes to using anything aftermarket (minus a few exceptions). If anyone has ever gone to buy a factory new balancer they for sure got sticker shocked at the $600ish price tag. Has anyone had good luck with any aftermarket options or better yet having their front crank pulley rebuilt? My first thought is that this part should be perfectly balanced (hence the name) so I fear aftermarket options would be questionable at best.
Before I get the response of "how do you know your balancer is bad?" TRUST ME, it's done. the seal surface on mine is still in really good shape so I was thinking about having it rebuilt. There are a few companies out there that do this but was hoping the Toyota community has suggestions.
I tried buying one from Amayama but they strung me along for 2 weeks until they finally confessed they couldn't get one. I've read about them doing this so I wasn't surprised. Partsourq doesn't have any and all other companies out there want close to what the dealer wants. Anyone know of an affordable source for OEM? I went ahead and bought the Dayco brand balancer from Rockauto but it doesn't look that great. I am skeptical about using it considering the amount of work it is to change this thing out. Appreciate all feedback! Thanks!

id probably find a good used
I thought about that option but you gotta think these trucks are pushing 40 years old now. The rubber in-between the pulleys are weather cracked and rock hard plus the sealing surface is normally grooved. I am all about using used parts but I think in this case I need something new.

I know LC Engineering isn’t your most favorite place, but they claim to have two OEM ones in stock for about $130.

I know LC Engineering isn’t your most favorite place, but they claim to have two OEM ones in stock for about $130.
So words matter right? Gotta read their description carefully. "Factory like" and "OEM quality" are not Toyota. I'm 99% sure this is a Dayco brand which is what I bought but am hesitant on installing it because the rubber looks kinda crappy similar to the photo of this one. I am probably over analyzing but thats just the Toyota purist in me. The text on the back says DA-70-P0, I'll have to compare it with mine when I get home. Thanks for looking mudder, I appreciate it

So words matter right? Gotta read their description carefully. "Factory like" and "OEM quality" are not Toyota. I'm 99% sure this is a Dayco brand which is what I bought but am hesitant on installing it because the rubber looks kinda crappy similar to the photo of this one. I am probably over analyzing but thats just the Toyota purist in me. The text on the back says DA-70-P0, I'll have to compare it with mine when I get home. Thanks for looking mudder, I appreciate it
Yeah, LCE is bad about that. They make it sound like it’s OEM but it very well could not be. The price is definitely lower than the factory one which is concerning.

Figured I would follow up and complete this thread. So after contemplating my petty problems in life, I decided to just install the Dayco harmonic balancer but what I failed to realize is that this harmonic balancer is actually made by Powerbond (owned by Dayco) and ALL Powerbond balancers are made in Australia. This little bit of info made me a lot less skeptical about using it so I went ahead and put it in last night. Truck runs amazing, idles great, revs great, good power band, etc. etc. So I will update in 6 months or a year but at this point I am happy. I still am sending out a factory one to be rebuilt as to have a spare lying around (I like collecting Toyota parts, I have a problem) I'll post pics when I get it back. So just to summarize, Powerbond = Australia if anyone wants a non-Chinese balancer.

Not too far up the road from you in Anderson is Damper Dudes. I've bought several both new and rebuilt domestic dampers from them and been very happy with their product. Very well thought of in the various domestic forums that I frequent.
They list the 22R family:
Just in case anyone researching this in the future finds this thread.

This is great info, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom