Question on FJ40 I inherited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
My father passed away a couple of months ago. He left me a 1978 FJ40 that he had restored about 4 years ago. I know the truck has two gas filler caps, so I am assuming it has two gas tanks. From what I have read some of these have a pump that move gas from one tank to the other but I am unsure where the pump switch may be. Wondering if anyone can help me with this. Here is a pic of the dash.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

FjDash.jpg

Both of those knobs will be for the Vintage Air AC unit. One is probably the heater control valve, the other may be defrost or the AC micro switch. You'll have to play with it to see how the cables are routed and figure out which one does what.

- Josh

The dual tanks may be set up on a switching valve, rather than a transfer pump. There will be an electrical switch somewhere. You may have to crawl underneath it and trace out where the fuel lines are going, and trace wires to/from the valve.

- Josh

The rear bumper looks like a Proffitts build. The tub may be aluminum.

New contact info:

Proffitt's Resurrection Land Cruisers
Home - Proffitt's Resurrection Land Cruisers

Awesome. Thanks! I went to to CruiserFest in Utah with my dad a few years ago and met with some of those guys. When my Dad was sick he was telling me about some of the idiosyncrasies of his FJ but to be honest, I can't remember much of what he told me because I wasn't at all concerned with the truck given his physical state. It's only now that I am starting to look over his truck and figure it out. I have only put about 15 miles on it in two months.

By the way, I just spoke to Jeremiah Proffitt via telephone. He is going to look at my photos and tell me how they did it.

Sorry for your loss.

Welcome! You have picked a fine forum to join the knowledge you will gain here cant be bought and will help you enjoy your dads truck for many years to come!

Oh, and this is the FJ my dad bought new in 1977 and sold in 1988. I grew up riding in the back of this thing.

Nice elk! My dad was born in Cody, WY, and my grand dad used to elk hunt every year with his brothers in Wyoming. He bought a new CJ7 in 1980 just to use for hunting. I did the same as you, grew up playing and riding in the back of it.
Grandpap is long gone, but his Jeep (yes, I know! :bang:) sits in my garage to this day. Was my first vehicle when I turned 16, and somehow I've managed to hang onto it all this time. It's been in our family longer than I have, and hopefully, one day, I will pass it on to my son.

That's a great story, though, and he left you a beautiful Cruiser!

- Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom