Pros and cons of an LX570 vs fully prepped LC series 80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a pretty cherry stock Lexus LX570 with ~60K miles for $40K against something like the Land Cruiser Series 80 that is pretty full prepped and generally in the 200K mile range at ~$30K.

I totally wore out a 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L with tow package from the factory. Dual cat backs, Gale Banks headers, etc. with Bilstein 5100's for a mild lift too. It was an absolute beast through ~200K miles until the transmission finally started to give up. This gives me a lot of respect for the LX570 powertrain.

That being said, with less electronics, I tend to think a series 80 Land Cruiser may be a better option due to less 'modern' electronics to present problems in the field that are difficult, if possible, to work around. Gas milage appears to be essentially the same for the 4.5L straight 6 vs. the 5.7 V-8. The series 80 can be triple-locked fairly easy if not already so, that is a bonus.

What am I missing in the Pro's vs Con's of the LX570 and LC series 80? Any strong reasons to get or avoid one or the other assuming both are good starting platforms? On a side note, saving ~$10K upfront and even more by not needing to due future upgrades (roof rack, bumpers, winch, etc.) means the LC80 leaves more money for travels.

What I don't want is to have buyers regret later with more experience so, here I am soliciting advice from those who have already been down this path a time or two!!!

TIA,
Sid

This video blog answers a lot of your questions.

While I love 80s, I don’t 30,000 dollar love 80s. I hope that fully prepped includes a regear.

Everytime I get out of my daily driver crewmax and drive my wife’s LX, I stop for a minute and appreciate the effort Toyota put into the 200.

LX 570 is better in almost every aspect.
If you need a solid axle in front and want to max flex, the 80 is good for that and 1,000 lbs lighter or more.
Personally never liked 80s though, id rather a 105 in the above scenario.

4.6L rebuild, 5.29 gears, Dobinson's lift, Winch, ...
It is sweet no doubt. Intended use and family status would make the decision for me. But I would only be looking at that 80 as a second vehicle anyway.

Use? Daily driver? Rock crawling? Second vehicle? Family travels? Towing? Etc.

I’d be concerned about parts for an 80 if it was my only vehicle.

Your concern about electronics is ill-founded. Both have lots and those in the 80 are old with old connectors and wires.

One thing about the older vehicles is that they don't have the "food/green based" wiring insulation that attracts rodents. Now add, ABS and other modern driver nannies and you have fewer computers and modern electronics to worry about.

Use? Daily driver? Rock crawling? Second vehicle? Family travels? Towing? Etc.

I live alone so, only worried about myself. My daily driver is a Honda Accord I4M6 Sedan that is a real rocket for a ~180Hp 4-banger.

Rock crawling beyond rocky Ghost Towns in Arizona or Forestry Service roads in National Parks and similar areas in not likely. No MOAB rugged areas needing super long travel suspensions.

Light towing for multiweek events is highly likely along with vehicle based camping in more remoted areas like Death Valley and National Park areas out West. It would also see light utility duty to Home Depot/Lowes and similar stuff locally.

Basically, a "mini-motorhome" for vacations and travels away from other people, especially in super touristy places. I see to find a lot of deep sand or mud in the areas I go so, cars and typical pickups/SUVs are not ideal.

I’d be concerned about parts for an 80 if it was my only vehicle.

I grew up driving wheat trucks that were decades older than me. As long as I don't have to walk out, I'm good with general maintenance. Living in Arizona for 15 years, I have a healthy respect for "get home capability" as being broken down on a motorcycle ~20 miles from a gravel road could be fatal.

Your concern about electronics is ill-founded. Both have lots and those in the 80 are old with old connectors and wires.

If the motor will turn and the clutch/transmission will engage, I can get back to civilization. Whether the radio, air conditioner, etc. work is optional.

I would tend to think most "critical electronics" on an old Land Cruiser could be protected with spares easily enough. Something like the Dodge pickup odometer anti-rollback security module is a case where a field expedient repair is questionable at best.

I am looking at a pretty cherry stock Lexus LX570 with ~60K miles for $40K against something like the Land Cruiser Series 80 that is pretty full prepped and generally in the 200K mile range at ~$30K.

I totally wore out a 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L with tow package from the factory. Dual cat backs, Gale Banks headers, etc. with Bilstein 5100's for a mild lift too. It was an absolute beast through ~200K miles until the transmission finally started to give up. This gives me a lot of respect for the LX570 powertrain.

That being said, with less electronics, I tend to think a series 80 Land Cruiser may be a better option due to less 'modern' electronics to present problems in the field that are difficult, if possible, to work around. Gas milage appears to be essentially the same for the 4.5L straight 6 vs. the 5.7 V-8. The series 80 can be triple-locked fairly easy if not already so, that is a bonus.

What am I missing in the Pro's vs Con's of the LX570 and LC series 80? Any strong reasons to get or avoid one or the other assuming both are good starting platforms? On a side note, saving ~$10K upfront and even more by not needing to due future upgrades (roof rack, bumpers, winch, etc.) means the LC80 leaves more money for travels.

What I don't want is to have buyers regret later with more experience so, here I am soliciting advice from those who have already been down this path a time or two!!!

TIA,
Sid
Remember, an 80 is great but every piece of wiring and plastic connector is at least 25 years old. Unless someone spent the big bucks on replacement, that will kill an 80 faster than anything mechanical wearing out.

Last edited:
Remember, an 80 great but every piece of wiring and plastic connector is at least 25 years old. Unless someone spent the big bucks on replacement, that will kill an 80 faster than anything mechanical wearing out.

Surely it's not worse than a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. The security module in the dash is terrible!!! Headlight bulb holders are the current irritation.

Lx for the combination of long travel comfort (here it would be vastly superior), but the ability to handle any of your off-road and towing needs. Also better parts availability if you need them (though you won’t often). With the 80 you absolutely will.
I’ve loved every 80 I have had, but can see how now putting one through the paces further and further away from civilization, and wanting to have as few mechanical issues as possible, is less and less realistic for most of us.
You did not ask but as an alternative, I really found that my upfitted gx460 served me very well in the off-road situations you described, the travel comfort getting there, any towing needs I had, and a smaller size more in line with an 80. Have moved on to a 200, but there are some things I’m gonna miss about that truck.

Go for the 80. The one you linked has been well built and having had Robbie rebuild the engine is a huge plus. Sure the 80 is older but issues and failure points of the 80s, by now, have been dealt with and fixes and repairs are known; spend some time in the 80 series forum. We have a '97 FJZ80 that was our family vehicle for years. Kids are older now and out so it's passed from that use. Over the years maintenance issues accrued and over the past 2 years I've been going through it. The engine and transmission had just over 300k on it. I sourced a lower mileage engine, refreshed the head and replaced all seals and gaskets and swapped it in. Suspension was redone along with all bushings. The major impression I have from these accumulated wrenching sessions is that the 80 is an incredibly well designed vehicle. The engine, transmission, t-case wiring seems complex but each terminal has been thoughtfully laid out along with the connector type so that reassembling the wiring is easy.

Dead starter, no problem. Access is easy. Alternator brushes are in an assembly that easy to replace, etc.
Yes, Toyota has dropped parts for the 80 but alternatives are available. Brittle plastic connectors are an issue but, again, these can be sourced for replacement. Molded onto the connector is a part number that can referenced (an example Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Sumitomo » 1 Way Knock Sensor Connector Plug Kit (Toyota # 90980-11166) - https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/xrf/gshp/products_id/3488).

I suggest posting this question in the 80 series forum for additional opinions. I should add I have no experience with 200s, I still drive a FJ60 because of the simplicity of field needs and fixability in remote sites.

A lot of guys on the forum that own or have owned both, including me, so you'll get a lot of feedback here.

80 series will give you personality, character and a sense of real satisfaction in ownership. It is also the superior off-roading platform if you plan to do more technical wheeling. Smaller body is easier to maneuver, ground clearance (i.e. at the rockers) is immense in comparison to a 200. I know this doesn't seem like a big deal, but visibility and sight-lines are amazing. Aside from the long hood, you can see in all directions from the driver's seat, which is a trait of 90's japanese cars I have always loved.

LX570 gets you GOBS OF POWER and real towing prowess. Newer, lower miles, modern, etc, which is a big peace-of-mind factor. But on the flip side, there is about 5x the electronics in one of these which is a little scary to a guy like me. 200 is quieter, comfortable and great for eating up miles on a road trip (aside from fuel cost). If you buy someone else's 80, even with receipts, you'll still feel like you want to put a lot of shakedown miles on it before going somewhere really remote (just my two cents). The 200 can be turned into a solid wheeler, but even with $15k spent, it will never match a nearly stock 3x locked 80 with a 2" lift.

@Godwin is correct, replace 200 starter as PM at home or at the shop. You don't want that sucker to die in the field. :eek:

I live alone so, only worried about myself. My daily driver is a Honda Accord I4M6 Sedan that is a real rocket for a ~180Hp 4-banger.

Rock crawling beyond rocky Ghost Towns in Arizona or Forestry Service roads in National Parks and similar areas in not likely. No MOAB rugged areas needing super long travel suspensions.

Light towing for multiweek events is highly likely along with vehicle based camping in more remoted areas like Death Valley and National Park areas out West. It would also see light utility duty to Home Depot/Lowes and similar stuff locally.

Basically, a "mini-motorhome" for vacations and travels away from other people, especially in super touristy places. I see to find a lot of deep sand or mud in the areas I go so, cars and typical pickups/SUVs are not ideal.

I grew up driving wheat trucks that were decades older than me. As long as I don't have to walk out, I'm good with general maintenance. Living in Arizona for 15 years, I have a healthy respect for "get home capability" as being broken down on a motorcycle ~20 miles from a gravel road could be fatal.

If the motor will turn and the clutch/transmission will engage, I can get back to civilization. Whether the radio, air conditioner, etc. work is optional.

I would tend to think most "critical electronics" on an old Land Cruiser could be protected with spares easily enough. Something like the Dodge pickup odometer anti-rollback security module is a case where a field expedient repair is questionable at best.

For general overlanding, IMO, the clear choice is the 200-series. It's going to do most everything better than an 80-series. Other than size, it's arguably better than an 80-series even built up as a rocklander now that it's older and people aren't afriad to cut and clearance for serious tires into the 40s. It's got larger and stronger diffs, and the stock axles, IFS, and steering rack have been proven up to task doing the baja 1000 on 37s.

Rock crawler, okay, I'll give the edge to the 80-series but there's arguments for a 200-series build too which maybe I'll create a thread for.

Towing, even light, is not the domain of an 80-series that generally can't get out of its own way. Let alone built and weighed down in overlanding trim. HP is also an important tool off-road when it comes to sand to keep momentum.

Sounds more like 200 territory.

That said, if you want a classic car, get a classic car.

Looks like the series 80 I posted is sold so, missed out on that option unless things fall through.

Hard core rock crawling is not my thing but, having lived with my Toyota Tundra (2007 vintage), sight lines are no joke with its Bilstein 5100 'leveling lift' and factory 20" wheels!

Big stretches of deep sand are generally something I avoid but, in Arizona that wasn't always possible when I lived there. These days, I am most apt to run into sloppy muddy areas that I need to traverse. A heavily overloaded vehicle is the enemy in that role. That's part of the reason I'm not looking at a 23 Zero rooftop tent and similar things to really load it down and move the CG a bit higher.

For a while Beno was posting what would be pulled from production for 80s soon. It was an already large, and growing, list. I remember feeling lucky I got a driver's lower seat cushion just before they disappeared. This will happen to most 80 parts.. and yes the aftermarket will step in for some, but not all... like seat cushions.

IMO they share a heritage but in 2023 they are different vehicles for different uses. IFS vs SFA, V8 vs I6, creature comforts vs utilitarian (by 2023 standards.)

Having owned both, and the 80 a particularly awesome one, given your stated use case there is no debate.. the LX, or even an older/cheaper one, is the play here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom