Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had just started working on a greenhouse addition when a miniature collector and old customer of mine contacted me wanting to know if I would make her a miniature Vampire killing kit.
I had never heard of such a thing so looked it up and this is what I came up with.
It took about a week to make and it paid for the greenhouse panels and lumber.

View attachment 2511100View attachment 2511101View attachment 2511102View attachment 2511104
so of that assemblage, what all did you make? i'm looking at the kit in your hand n thinking, damn, my 10 thumbs would have that cluster fawked 16 ways to christmas. nice work 👍

so of that assemblage, what all did you make? i'm looking at the kit in your hand n thinking, damn, my 10 thumbs would have that cluster fawked 16 ways to christmas. nice work 👍

The glass containers is from tubing I reworked but everything else I made from scratch.
I do tend to spend time on the floor looking for tiny things I have dropped.
I have been making miniatures for a living since 1976 and have stuff in private collections and museums around the world.

The glass containers is from tubing I reworked but everything else I made from scratch.
I do tend to spend time on the floor looking for tiny things I have dropped.
I have been making miniatures for a living since 1976 and have stuff in private collections and museums around the world.
holy $h!t! good on you man. i would never have thought that miniatures could feed, clothe n house you. 👍

holy $h!t! good on you man. i would never have thought that miniatures could feed, clothe n house you. 👍
I had been trying to make a living as an artist from the time I got out of the navy in 1970.
Between off and on construction work I painted cars and motorcycles, did signs.graphic art and every once in a while sold a painting.
Miniature collection was in full swing for a few years when I found about it in 76.
70's through the 90's was a renaissance and I did about eight shows a year in different parts of the U.S.
Was doing fairly well and then a lady that had been buying from me and reselling asked if she could rep me.
I stopped doing shows and she sold the crap out of my work.
In 89 I moved to Eureka springs Ark.
It is an artist town and I got to play real artist for a few years.
I sold through a couple of galleries and while I didn't make as much money as the miniatures did get bit of a rep.
I don't do much art in any form lately.
I tinker with my FJ40 and my electric car.
Right now I am building a small greenhouse I have been threatening to do for years.

So the Vintage Craftsman tool box addiction continues.... Picked up this 2 drawer top and 5 drawer + bay lower:

20201204_165240.jpg

1969 manufacture dates. No keys, but I got them made at a local locksmith. Both Craftsman Chevron badges intact (a plus!). Bay door is gray, which makes me wonder when Craftsman switch to painting them red to match the drawers. My 3 drawer + bay, 1973 mfg, is painted red (post #224).

Spent a couple hours pressure washing the lower. And it was in the 30's outside doing it. The drawers/slides all went to the basement to get cleaned. There was a lot of latex paint spatter on both the upper/lower. I got it all off with Super Clean, my thumbnail, and a razor blade.

Lots of rust on the top of the lower, previous owner must have left a wet rag/towel on it. I wire wheeled it, hit it with a sanding disc, then treated it with rust converter:

20201206_143538.jpg

After 24 hours, I hit it with two coats of primer, and three coats of Rustoleum Hammer Gray (heat gun following every coat):

20201207_113011.jpg

Turned out decent, I'd say a '3 footer'... I wasn't going to put the time into a full blown resto. And the patina will go with the other ones I have.

Moved it to the basement with the help of the wife, greased the casters, coated the slides with teflon spray, and reassembled it:

20201208_094321.jpg

I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to go in the bottom. Can't post a pic, because I've already got too many....

The two drawer isn't going to live on this top. I've got an old piece of butcherblock that will sit on the top, along with my small Pony vice:

20201208_095941.jpg

I've got a roll of drawer liner coming, which will be the next project following putting multiple coats of poly urethane on the butcher block (3 coats bottom, 6 coats top/sides/ends).

damn, i'm going to have to go out to the shop n check to see if my craftsman chest is still out there. :flipoff2:
that's same set up i bought in '75

I just built this leanto.
I was going to cover three sides with t1-11 but the price is way up so i am waiting or will look at metal.
IMG-20201111-WA0000.jpeg

As an Architect, I have some familiarity with model building. As I'm moving into semi-retirement, I've been considering doing some diorama work. Instagram and such shows that there are definitely people interested in such things.

Finished some more steps on the trailer. Added E-track on walls and forward floor. I have some E-track 2by attachments I will use to make a work surface out of later.

View attachment 2522810
That's rad!
A local buddy (and mudder) is building out the same trailer with similar colors (black-grey) and materials (e track and 2xs) but making a part time camper out of it.

🤘

That's rad!
A local buddy (and mudder) is building out the same trailer with similar colors (black-grey) and materials (e track and 2xs) but making a part time camper out of it.

🤘

I purchased extra 2x attachments just for that purpose as well. So easy to make bunks that way for the kids if one wanted..

^

Right on! Ya'lls are similarly minded, but spatially distant :cool:
he's got a black 80 too, and hundo.

1607817969778.png

but yeah, E-track IS rad!!
1607817815756.png

1607818038171.png
1607818207486.png

So, I've been storing a few remembrances of my trucker days. I was an owner/operator (1972 Peterbilt 352 COE, 318 Detroit Diesel, 13 speed), leased to Michigan Nebraska Transit back in the late 70's. Wrecked the truck March 10th, 1980 (blew left front tire merging from an on ramp), and shortly after decided to leave the road behind.

What to do with these mementos? After shuffling them around for the past 40 years, I decided to use up some scrap wood and make a plaque:

20201220_141639.jpg

News article of the wreck, my company belt buckle, pic of the semi, and a Peterbilt badge.

Doing this got me inspired to do another, but this one of the journey to resto/mod my 1976 Jeep CJ5. It took almost 20 years from start to finish, with a lot of 'stops' in between:

20201222_153132.jpg

There's a before/after set of pics, the original CJ-5 badge, and a chunk of stamped Jeep liberated from one of the many salvage yards I visited. I made up the '1976' badge from some Hobby Lobby numbers and another piece of scrap plywood.

Both turned out decent, so I'm pleased. Wife won't let me hang them in the family room..... So they're going either in my office, or my basement shop.

Tiny house? Shed? Workshop?

Camp! But yes, I guess it is a tiny house but was not my plan!

It’s a place to crash while I build my post and beam winter getaway for snowmobiling and skiing, starting this spring.

It will become the shed when main building Is completed.

Camp! But yes, I guess it is a tiny house but was not my plan!

It’s a place to crash while I build my post and beam winter getaway for snowmobiling and skiing, starting this spring.

It will become the shed when main building Is completed.

Nice. Gonna be a pretty fancy shed!

Wait... is that thing sitting on bottle jacks? Interesting foundation choice. Fully adjustable as it settles! :hillbilly:

Nice. Gonna be a pretty fancy shed!

Wait... is that thing sitting on bottle jacks? Interesting foundation choice. Fully adjustable as it settles! :hillbilly:

They are screw posts, installed by a business called Propost.

They are screwed down 4’, and yes, they are adjustable😉

Will be insulated shortly, wired with 200 amps!
It measures 14x14 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom