Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those are good looking wheels and don't seem unreasonable price wise. And the harrop is a no brainier at that price. Gonna be schweeeet!

Just purchased my Harrop E-locker
Hutchinson’s were actually in stock in California at 4WP. Been chatting with @robustbambi who had wait a few months on getting all of his.
The black will be awesome with the Cooper ST Maxx.

70E8B11C-5065-4D3F-B97F-A3E92AC49B15.png

Maybe I should get into the well repair business :hmm:

Hopefully the E-lockers hold up for you. I’ve heard mixed reviews strength wise VS ARB’s now that they’ve been out for awhile.

Maybe I should get into the well repair business :hmm:

Hopefully the E-lockers hold up for you. I’ve heard mixed reviews strength wise VS ARB’s now that they’ve been out for awhile.
I did a lot of reading and Cruiser Brothers sells both. They recommend those for me.
What I learned about the well water industry is that everybody needs water. People can go without things but water isn’t one of them.

I did a lot of reading and Cruiser Brothers sells both. They recommend those for me.
What I learned about the well water industry is that everybody needs water. People can go without things but water isn’t one of them.
Funny thing about water, food and fuel - when you need it, you need it. We are learning this about the fuel tank business. Some folks "want" a bigger tank/second tank as a convenience and some folks "need" more fuel on board to get back from where they are going.

As Jason noted, we sell both and @orangefj45 has installed hundreds of ARBs. No bias either way, just what's right for the customer. That said, we have never read a negative review of the Harrops based upon structural weakness or failure. Yes, a few ARB dealers, reps and owners talking about how Harrops "are smaller, weaker, etc." but no actual reported failures. Not saying the Harrops haven't had problems based upon early, two-pinion Eaton design or aggressive us at the hands of crazy-ass Australian 'roo hunters, but we have sold 500 of them here with no reported failures. And yes, depending upon reseller/dealer and location, service with either brand can be problematic if you need to pursue a claim. That's why Georg Esterer and I stand behind everything we sell - ARB, Harrop, LRA, WAT, Kaymar, etc. We trust our partners to make it right, but you don't have to - that's why we are here.

Harrop introduced the 4-pinion elocker around seven years ago - along about the same time ARB released its redesigned actuator system -both firms fixing flaws to make their products better. That is what quality organizations do.

My point is not to disagree, but to ask for any documented failures that we can research.

Thanks, all! :cheers:

Last edited:
I’ll be elk hunting the 1st til the 10th.
@boots4 Mike and I have 3 SOA build days for November. The 17th so far will be him and myself. My buddy Jeremy will become a dad November 15th and buddy Matt will be elk hunting. November 23rd Matt, Mike and I. November 24th Mike and I. Perhaps Jeremy may have time to join. My buddy Brian who’s a diesel tech for TriMet may come. He had a 60 but now has a 40 project he is working on. Looking at a busy Novemeber. Project Snowball continues. Time off hunting with dad and my bro will be nice.
Still need to finish up the rear 80 axle tear down. Get the Elocker and 3rd member to KNA Offroad for install. Darrel @ KNA is 71 and loves his work. An awesome guy to talk to who has seen it all. Wants to do some trade work which is fine by me. He installs my locker and I service his well pump system. Win-win!

Funny thing about water, food and fuel - when you need it, you need it. We are learning this about the fuel tank business. Some folks "want" a bigger tank/second tank as a convenience and some folks "need" more fuel on board to get back from where they are going.

As Jason noted, we sell both and @orangefj45 has installed hundreds of ARBs. No bias either way, just what's right for the customer. That said, we have never read a negative review of the Harrops based upon structural weakness or failure. Yes, a few ARB dealers, reps and owners talking about how Harrops "are smaller, weaker, etc." but no actual reported failures. Not saying the Harrops haven't had problems based upon early, two-pinion Eaton design or aggressive us at the hands of crazy-ass Australian 'roo hunters, but we have sold 500 of them here with no reported failures. And yes, depending upon reseller/dealer and location, service with either brand can be problematic if you need to pursue a claim. That's why Georg Esterer and I stand behind everything we sell - ARB, Harrop, LRA, WAT, Kaymar, etc. We trust our partners to make it right, but you don't have to - that's why we are here.

Harrop introduced the 4-pinion elocker around seven years ago - along about the same time ARB released its redesigned actuator system -both firms fixing flaws to make their products better. That is what quality organizations do.

My point is not to disagree, but to ask for any documented failures that we can research.

Thanks, all! :cheers:

Maybe I should have worded what I said better. I have not seen any actual reported breakages, but reading several discussions where people were seeking build advice for hardcore wheeling were discouraged from going with the Harrop's. I'm sure they will perform fine for @Hojack application, I am always concerned about parts between a powerful 4-cyl turbo diesel (90-degree torque pulses) and big tires though.

Well kind of fell of the face of the earth for the past week elk hunting in Eastern Oregon with my dad and brother. Still out here but went into town to let the wife know I’m still alive.
Five days of no elk hunting with none spotted until our youngest in the party Dillon-19 broke the ice with a nice 5 point bull. I was so far from where he shot his that I had no idea he even bagged one yet. I was hunting a deep canyon. I came out to the pickup spot and decided to hunt around a small knob down to the rest of the group. The area had tall open timber with patches of thickets. There were small trees with elk rubs over 8 feet tall. Fresh elk crap was finally seen since we started. I made my way down as a voice calls out on the radio, “ Jason where ya at?” Just as I’m about to answer to my right uphill 40’ in elevation and 50 yards away a branched bull charges from a thicket. I try to pull up my riffle but it’s gone in a flash. My heart beating so hard I thought it was going to explode. I listen as I hear it’s antlers rake through the timber. I hunt around 20 minutes realizing it’s prolly in the next zip code. Happy I finally saw an elk but dissapointed at the same time I could take a shot. Get to camp as my bro reassured me that there will be another.
The next morning was down right cold at 10F. It was a very amazing morning sunrise pulling out of camp.
64494CCC-7E5D-4CFC-B3BD-9B915C1C2348.jpeg

Our hunt that day was a very timbered hillside. I took the long trek following the similar path I took on our 2nd day of hunting. I decided to take a different lower route. I bust a nice buck mule deer that was about 20 yards from me. The buck trots off not even knowing I’m there. I descended into a small meadow coated in a heavy frost and small pine trees. I looked to the north through a thick stand of trees seeing legs moving. I knelt down and took the safety of my riffle. Finding an open window in the trees I pulled up the riffle to see the hind quarter of an elk about 80 yards away as it went into the thicket. Out of my left eye I saw that they were two cow elk when I heard another coming. I redrew my riffle to the same location and saw the antlers of a bull start to emerge. I got a good rest and waited for the perfect shot. Taking in a deep breath and slowly let out... everything in that moment stood still as I pulled the trigger. My Tika riffle with a muzzle break fired so smoothly I could see after my shot the front shoulder of the elk buckle as he disappeared into the woods. I reloaded and listened. I waited a few minutes after my shot and went to look for blood. I cut the elks tracks but could not find any blood. I followed the tracks looking for any signs I’d hit the bull. I followed a set that was the 2 cow elk realizing the bull must have gone another direction. I retrack back to the site I shot him. Refollow and see a single set of tracks dog leg hard right. I follow not seeing any blood. Concern in the back of my mind begins that I missed him. I continue to follow. Eyes scanning the timber and tracks in the frozen grass beneath. Finally I spot blood, some 200 yards from the site I shot the bull. Anticipation grows now as more and more blood is found. Then glancing toward a fallen log I see the antlers of the bull. I get to within 20 yards and see it is dead. The life in him was now gone. I was overwhelmed with joy and thankfulness that I had shot a nice 5 point bull. I built a nice warming fire and set to work gutting him out. As I’m working on him another gun shot rings out through the woods. After a half hour or so my dad gets on the radio and says he has a cow elk down. We get some guys from the hunting party up to help recover the elk. My brother was thrilled to see the bull. Here we are together in the woods.
26639141-98DB-438F-8D20-55A8D7A6F38B.jpeg

Loaded up after it’s recovery.
60FD335B-53B2-4750-9D34-B3AC5B4D3853.jpeg

At camp after skinning it out and hanging the meat to cool.
7B777795-0520-48FA-AC6E-7E863FEFC81B.jpeg

My broski has many pictures to share as he is our family photographer. He quickly sent me these for my friends and family.

Nice one Jason! Looks like great times with the family. I went out this week too but no luck. Still way better than working!

Cool to read the suspense and see the photos... the head shot a tad much for me tho those antlers are amazing. Only experience I have w/ elk is visiting a hs friend who went to college in Missoula. I remember one night a bunch of us went out to hike to a hot spring and we were passing elk whose belly’s were equal w/ the height of his car!

Cool to read the suspense and see the photos... the head shot a tad much for me tho those antlers are amazing. Only experience I have w/ elk is visiting a hs friend who went to college in Missoula. I remember one night a bunch of us went out to hike to a hot spring and we were passing elk whose belly’s were equal w/ the height of his car!
Sorry about the head shot. I guess I’m desensitized after all these years of hunting.

Sorry about the head shot. I guess I’m desensitized after all these years of hunting.
No need to apologize. At least it isn’t a rhino. ;)

Went hunting and sure didn’t figure on coming back with a pup but the ranch dogs had a great litter that they wanted to find homes for. My brother found 2 friends that wanted ones too. Here he is just before heading home. His name is Reload.
5791E24A-7AC3-4114-B52C-93DBE3450D52.jpeg

First time I’ve been able to open all the goods that came lately with the family shopping late. The Hutchinson beadlocks are heavy duty is all I have to say. Harrop Elocker is here and Ruff Stuff tube clamp for the hydro assist. Ready for Saturday and the SOA work again.
6A2A7A72-4451-43D8-AAE7-4626AFF2B766.jpeg

00BC7036-B78F-42CD-953C-C122DA90B822.jpeg

That sounds like a plan too me. It's been raining here in Va Beach the last 2 days so I haven't been able to work on mine. I've also procrastinating some updates. I'm at the point of starting to tack in the new hangers and such. The grinding is finally over. It's cool we're at very similar points. I'm gettin ancy!

Boring weather here in Oregon other than the 10F hunting last week in central Oregon. Here is the view of Fox Valley Oregon, 4500’ in elevation. The buck skull with antlers I found on the second to last day. Where we hunt we typically find a large amount of shed antlers.
937140C7-A306-41D1-98F0-2EFCC056B54C.jpeg

AB6D0AC0-DE0E-4BA9-A1A1-E42A12EC50DA.jpeg

Yep been raining and windy af here @BMValentine and i are a little over an hour away from each other would love to go out west and do some snowboarding nothing on the east coast compares to it. Just received the 365 hp ls engine for the build i am doing yesterday in the pouring rain and picking up the chassis today from the blaster now i have a ton of work to do....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom