Builds Project Snowball ❄️ 85 FJ60 Cummins 4BT/ HX-30 SUPER/ NV4500/ SOA (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Likely a BMT-090 master cylinder fwiw, we stock them at Cruiser Outfitters :D

Exactly

Proportioning valve absolutely needed, unless you like having the rear brakes lock up before the front and the whole rear end of the truck spinning around at 50mph during a hard stop in the rain. Up to you, I didn’t find it too pleasant though

Yes we need a brake discussion here. Safety is number one. As @cruisermatt said as @boots4 told me being taller and less stable I don’t want my 60 flipping around itself while braking. I drive winter roads that are icy and slick so brakes are a major concern.

@cruiseroutfit - What price are you running on those? Thoughts on proportioning valve?

I'm not near my work computer so I'm not sure on pricing or application, just know that is a common part number we stock. We do commonly use the FJ80 disc/drum master as an upgrade for older Cruisers. Buzz us at the shop if we can help. 801-563-1277 or info@cruiseroutfitters.com

Not saying you can't run a proportioning valve, but I run that set up in 2 trucks without one and have not noticed the problem. Though come to think of it, I do run the stock LPSV in my 62, and if anything, it could use MORE bias toward the rear.

In order to run this valve in the FJ60, you do need to change the brake lines around a bit near the master itself.

Proportioning valve is 100% a necessity. LSPV in a 62 would virtually disable rear brakes if the linkage isn't set up for the lift.

I ran with the stock 60 proportioning valve for a while, which was alright, but then changed to an adjustable one. Perfection.

Proportioning valve is 100% a necessity. LSPV in a 62 would virtually disable rear brakes if the linkage isn't set up for the lift.

I ran with the stock 60 proportioning valve for a while, which was alright, but then changed to an adjustable one. Perfection.
Thanks for your $ .02 Johnny. Nice when we get to the tech part of this we can get answers from experience.

So this method would be taking the LSPV completely out?

In a 60, there is no LSPV, so no. On a 62 or 80, IMO the LSPV should be deleted with any more than a 2.5" lift, and replaced with a proper adjustable proportioning valve.

No, you just have to get the geometry right. It actually works quite well. But it isn't an issue in an FJ60 which doesn't have an LSPV. It's got a static proportioning valve that you will delete.

But City Racer used to have a nice proportioning valve set up for Toyota style flares and nuts. You might check that out too.

No, you just have to get the geometry right. It actually works quite well. But it isn't an issue in an FJ60 which doesn't have an LSPV. It's got a static proportioning valve that you will delete.

But City Racer used to have a nice proportioning valve set up for Toyota style flares and nuts. You might check that out too.
Yup works really good. I have it on my 40 along with the non ABS 80 series MC for front disc/rear drum. The thing stops awesome.

51CD16FD-1AEE-42D6-B686-38F467722E04.png

Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valves 260-12627

IMO it's fiddly to get the linkage right with the LSPV on a lifted truck. Faster, and imo better, to put an adjustable wilwood in place of the LSPV (that's the same one i have @Hojack ) and be done with it.

IMO it's fiddly to get the linkage right with the LSPV on a lifted truck. Faster, and imo better, to put an adjustable wilwood in place of the LSPV (that's the same one i have @Hojack ) and be done with it.
Should I purchase the BMT-090 master cylinder from Cruiser Outfit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom