Project build up: 72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailwerx.com
Don't have a cleaver name for it:flipoff2: I've abandoned my buggy project and just decided to sink all that money/ parts I've been saving into my 40.

Here's the truck as it sits now:

DSC02112.jpg

Just ordered a butt-load of parts, most everything is en-route

Parts list:
* STaK 3 speed case
* Ford 9" rear with TNT Customs truss, disc brakes, True Hi9 center section w/ BTF skid, and Moser 35 spline shafts.
* RamJet 350 w/ TH350 trans
* Art Carr shifter
* FJ 60 front axle with 30 spline Longfields, Trail Gear 6 shooter knuckles and PSC hydro assist, 3" wheel spacers to match rear width, BTF diff protection.
* Beard racing seats w/ bench seat in the rear (for the kiddies!)
* 5 37" Iroks on 32 bolt beadlock rims
* High angle driveline shafts w/ 1350 CV long slip front
* Warn 8274 winch
* Full Detroits f/r w/ 4:88 gears
The build:

* Rear: Wishbone 3 link in the rear with QA1 chromo 1.25" heims, Lowers will be 2" O.D. .250 wall DOM. Upper wishbone will be 1.75" .250 wall DOM. Stnd alone Ebach coil springs using BTF coil buckets. Rear will probably be strecthed 5-8 inches as well.
* Front: I'm going to leave the front Leaf sprung right now, if the 60 front doesn't hold up I might build a high 9 steering axle for it.
* Re-doing the cage and doing a family style cage that's more accomidating for the rear passengers as well as front and rear bumpers with a swing away rear tire carrier, tube front fenders, and rock sliders.

This thread might be un-eventfull for a while, getting married this weekend and will be out of town till May 10th! Hopefully when I get back I'll have some parts waiting on me and I can work on it!!! I'll be posting lots of pics!

Jason

Looks Sick Keep the pics coming

Have a good wedding but don't play to long, we want to see what you have for the ol' FJ.

brooksy

Woou !

You rear axle looks gonna be bulletproof !

For the amount of money I have rapped up in this thing I sure do hope so!

Going to clean all the brackets and pads off the FJ60 front, sandblast the whole thing and cut and turn the knuckles.

Gotta start with the dirty work....:rolleyes:

ill have it parted out before you get back from your honeymoon. you better stay here and work on it and ill take tovah to miami

or you could name it 'cleaver'...i think that would be a pretty clever name

i like the sound of that,

cleaver...
cleaver....

kinda like when the hyenas say the name mufasa and they get the chills

or you could name it 'cleaver'...i think that would be a pretty clever name

Cleaver it is!!!!

At least my illiteracy has proven usefull... :lol:

Hell goes with the whole Mt. Dew, skulls, flames, evil, hardcore fad anyway!:D

BTW, parts are rolling in!!! Working on the rear right now, plan to have it cleaned up, sand blasted, disc brackets welded in place, and ready to link! TH9 should arrive tomorrow!!!!:bounce:

DSC02114.jpg

Moser's
DSC02113.jpg

Disc conversion
DSC02115.jpg

i'm pleadin stupid on this question, but are those rears different from each other?
it looks like the one on the left has two flanges and the one on the right has none...

oh and glad you like the cleaver name...thought about that from your first post, but didn't want to seem like a complete jerk callin you out like that, ha ha

looks like one axles shaft has both the peices for them, probably shipped like that. all good

looks like one axles shaft has both the peices for them, probably shipped like that. all good

aight, that what i was thinkin...just wanted to check, ha ha

i'm pleadin stupid on this question, but are those rears different from each other?
it looks like the one on the left has two flanges and the one on the right has none...

oh and glad you like the cleaver name...thought about that from your first post, but didn't want to seem like a complete jerk callin you out like that, ha ha

Yeah those flanges are just held on by bailing wire.

I've fawked up and been called out on ALOT of stuff way more stupid than that!:lol:

Got the rear cleaned off and blasted. I'm just going to wait untill me diff comes in to weld on the brake brackets, that way I don't have to take it all apart to put the diff in. I have to work tomorrow but Thursday it's AWN! My rear should be complete minus the truss from TNT :D

Got more done today. Rear is finished except for the truss from TNT. It should be here in about 2 weeks he said.

PICS!

HI9
DSC02121.jpg

DSC02119.jpg

Installed
DSC02130.jpg

DSC02129.jpg

DSC02131.jpg

My first time using weld on disc brackets vs. bolt on. I like them!
DSC02128.jpg

You will like the 9" rear. I have one in mine now for 15 years. I originally resplined 2 long stock toyota axles. These are now twisted about 1/4 to 1/2 turn.:) I am just now upgrading to Moser axles w/ 35 spline. I did get the round track axles with the wider bearings. Please post how noisy the HI-9 is if you drive on the highway. I want one of them but do a fair amount of road driving. I am concerned about the forward motion running on the back of the gear teeth. 39.5" tires a Big Block, hard pavement, and a lot of foot can put a little pressure on a rear... Good luck, and it is looking good!

: John

Last edited:
You will like the 9" rear. I have one in mine now for 15 years. I originally resplined 2 long stock toyota axles. These are now twisted about 1/4 to 1/2 turn.:) I am just now upgrading to Moser axles w/ 35 spline. I did get the round track axles with the wider bearings. Please post how noisy the HI-9 is if you drive on the highway. I want one of them but do a fair amount of road driving. I am concerned about the forward motion running on the back of the gear teeth. 39.5" tires a Big Block, hard pavement, and a lot of foot can put a little pressure on a rear... Good luck, and it is looking good!
: John

You should really give the guy at TH9 a call. He's very insightfull! Even though your running on the coast side of the gears his design eliminates the gears running on the edge of the teeth (which is the usual problem with running HP's in the rear)

Also there is additional oil slingers to keep everything good and lubed. I'm going to highway drive the poo out of mine so I'll definitly report in on it!

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom