Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Much prefer the adhesive heat shrink tubing. Use it whenever I can. Seals the splice very well. When splicing into an exciting wire when you can’t get access to the end of the wire to slide on a piece of tubing, tape is the only choice.
Use good quality electrical tape (Scotch), the cheap tape gets sticky gooey after a while.

Also pulled some
Black cherry out of the woods for a new mantle and table. Little chestnut oak piled up for some new closet shelving

9A9BF4B5-F4A9-42AF-AA84-D2B367B7858F.jpeg
DDE5C80C-77EA-4BC9-A34A-E872B350EB7B.jpeg
4BB624D0-98BC-43C9-B496-5333DBC663EC.jpeg

Thanks!

best option is to tape? No special heat sharing option?
You have to use tape when spicing on an existing wire that is not cut. I’d rather cut the wire and install heat shrink then solder 3 wires together. Then I will sometimes still tape over the heat shrink.

In preparation for rusted frame repair on my Taco (noticed damage long after 15 yr warranty extension expired on my 2004), picked up an HF mini needle scaler and attacked areas that I could reach on the rear after removing massively rusted hitch and support plates. Scaler is a cool tool, loud though. Bumper is becoming powder, but that's easily replaced w/aftermarket. Rearmost spring shackle hangers have lost meat on the side plates and concern me. Also some damage on rising rear area on DS right by gas tank where water is trapped inside frame. Found a site called autorust.com that sells caps and they get welded in place. Need to devise way to raise bed temporarily to hit rust on crossmembers and frame tops.

I went to start the Cruiser after neglecting it for way too long and I didn't even get a flicker of a light on the dash. Hopefully it's just the battery, but I'm worried that squirrels may have chewed some wires. I've got it on a trickle charger, hopefully that does something.

I went to start the Cruiser after neglecting it for way too long and I didn't even get a flicker of a light on the dash. Hopefully it's just the battery, but I'm worried that squirrels may have chewed some wires. I've got it on a trickle charger, hopefully that does something.
Uh, did you check the voltage on the battery? You DO have a multimeter, don't you?
Better go buy a new battery...

I'll dig the multimeter out and check it. I'm still hoping this battery can be saved, it's only 3 months old.
You probably have a parasitic load that drained it.

I picked up a 4.11 pumpkin from @bkfj40 over the weekend. Anyone see any problem with putting the whole kit & kabootle in a parts washer? I can't think of anything that would get hurt.
Nope

Just getting into it and there is a stretch of 7 teeth on the ring gear that have some rust. When I turn the flange and that section gets to the pinion gear, it locks up. I haven't turned it hard (duh) and I haven't really cleaned it up. Think this is salvageable?
Pumpkin.jpg

Just getting into it and there is a stretch of 7 teeth on the ring gear that have some rust. When I turn the flange and that section gets to the pinion gear, it locks up. I haven't turned it hard (duh) and I haven't really cleaned it up. Think this is salvageable?
View attachment 2478688

Show us another pic after a dip in the parts washer and a scrubbing with a brass brush and scotchbrite pad. Are you planning on new bearings, or were you expecting to just being able to run it?

I was hoping to be able to just run it, but bearings are probably the way forward. I was just able to get it to turn pretty smoothly by hitting the rust with some 400-grit sandpaper. So I think it will turn, I just don't what the accepted wisdom is of rust on the teeth. I'll get it cleaned up and post photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom