Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found factory paint under two layers of primer where it starts off red oxide.

I went straight to bare metal wherever the primer is gray.

7AB666D4-E75E-4FEF-9ECC-D802965A3DFD.jpeg

784F087E-8ACA-4385-B323-CFD167BC8288.jpeg

I’ve been asked to hold off until the mechanicals are sorted. Just wanted to know that some character was left underneath it all.

I’ve been asked to hold off until the mechanicals are sorted. Just wanted to know that some character was left underneath it all.

Bah. Why can’t you do both?

90C52A55-817D-451E-8042-9E9DE3C9F408.jpeg

When it’s really crusty, I apply some Ospho* to start the cleanup. For those tough to reach areas (ie inside rockers/frame) I’ll use a HF “engine cleaner” to apply it.

*OSPHO is a rust-inhibiting coating not a paint. OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black.

How do you get that inside the rockers?

View attachment 2077987

When it’s really crusty, I apply some Ospho* to start the cleanup. For those tough to reach areas (ie inside rockers/frame) I’ll use a HF “engine cleaner” to apply it.

*OSPHO is a rust-inhibiting coating not a paint. OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black.

That’s probably what’s in this Rust Converter spray I’ve been using.

Got it. No such plugs in my ‘63 45 or ‘65 40, and rust holes are gone with panel replacements. I treated the remanent insides as best as possible with all things chemical before buttoning them up. Just curious about future prevention, hence the question. Wonder if I should drill some holes and get some plastic/rubber plugs? Thanks.

Got it. No such plugs in my ‘63 45 or ‘65 40, and rust holes are gone with panel replacements. I treated the remanent insides as best as possible with all things chemical before buttoning them up. Just curious about future prevention, hence the question. Wonder if I should drill some holes and get some plastic/rubber plugs? Thanks.

That’s where you use the stuff like Fluid Film or the sort. Oil based with a tip that makes it mist. That said, your panels are sealed. They will outlast you and your kids most likely.

The problem with the Pig is the drains go into the rockers and it’s just a vat to hold water and rust.

After reading through your build threads, and admiring the crap out of how you save rigs, and give them new life, I finally did something I've been wanting to do for a while. My folks live up in Idaho, and this old couple at the bottom of their hill have a little Pickup that's just been sitting out by their barn rotting away since the husband passed away back in 2012. I've always said how cool it would be to get it and fix it up, but it's always stopped there. Halfway through the Patina build, I was like F it. I'm going to get that little truck. Long story short, she's mine. Runs strong, and will have a new life in Utah with me. Not to thread jack, I'm posting this here because I'm curious what my best course of action should be to preserve it's killer patina. There is virtually no paint on the bed, so that is just rust prevention at this point, but the cab has tons of red I want to make pop. Especially the stripes.. I freaking love the stripes. Thanks in advance! Sorry for the novel.

IMG-0019.JPG

IMG-0018.JPG

IMG-0020.JPG

IMG-0021.JPG

IMG-0022.JPG

Awesome. So awesome.

anything with good paint go ahead and use the Griots treatment. Go ahead and invest in the buffer. The link should be above.

I’m loving letting Fluid Film soak into raw metal like the bed in my 45

I’m still using some rust converter but only in places I don’t care if the rust turns black.

Congrats !!

I’ve got a pretty cool new project to play with. This is a 1974 that lived its whole life on a farm in central Louisiana.

This was CLR and Fluid Film.

I’m going to let the Fluid film soak in while I work on the mechanics and then I’ll cut and buff the places that have enough paint.

87BEA0B3-4BAD-4DC5-9681-4D5E478FADFB.jpeg

DBC8DB18-0797-4DBB-9440-827462D4D1A2.jpeg

4431EBAD-2A69-4843-870A-98E5C2588817.jpeg

Awesome. So awesome.

anything with good paint go ahead and use the Griots treatment. Go ahead and invest in the buffer. The link should be above.

I’m loving letting Fluid Film soak into raw metal like the bed in my 45

I’m still using some rust converter but only in places I don’t care if the rust turns black.

Congrats !!
I’ve got a pretty cool new project to play with. This is a 1974 that lived its whole life on a farm in central Louisiana.

This was CLR and Fluid Film.

I’m going to let the Fluid film soak in while I work on the mechanics and then I’ll cut and buff the places that have enough paint.

View attachment 2107444

View attachment 2107445

View attachment 2107447
Thanks! And that looks incredible! So hit it with the CLR first, then cut and polish where the paint is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom