Predictions: Bigger Tires? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With the front and rear diffs being an open diff the truck normal operations won’t be affected by the temporary figment of the factory sized spare.
I hope not. I was thinking along the lines of what the ECU is going to do with the 1 abs channel showing a different speed. It wasn't an issue in my 4Runner, but it seems like each generation gets more and more sensitive to things like this.

Could be just a mistype but the OT comes with 265/70r18 tires
You're dead right - for whatever reason, I've been thinking the whole time that the GX OT came with 17s. I stand corrected then, so the tire sizes will be the same between the OT and LC.... with the OT getting the Toyos and the LC getting the Michelins. We'll have to see if any 17 is capable of fitting over the front calipers.

Seems unlikely to me based on the layout of the exhaust. Possible, but it looks pretty tight underneath.

I'm okay with a smaller spare. It's so rare that I get a flat. I still need it to be a full capacity tire, but I'm fine if it's an inch shorter. Only big hangup I have is that is AWD and I'm not sure how the system will handle that. On a Tacoma or 4R, you'd never know from the driver's seat that you have a mismatched height tire.

I’m hopeful. I like to do a 5 tire rotation. You would think there would be 3/4” clearance around the spare. I’m still kicking myself for not looking specifically at that during the launch. I’d like to run 34’s on stock height.

I’m hopeful. I like to do a 5 tire rotation. You would think there would be 3/4” clearance around the spare. I’m still kicking myself for not looking specifically at that during the launch. I’d like to run 34’s on stock height.
Makes sense. I've never rotated the spare into service. I did have the 285/75/17s on my 5th gen 4Runner and found them to be a really nice size that is available in tread patterns that work well on the highway because I did mostly highway miles even on offroad trips. But I kept a 285/70/17 spare - mostly because it was a leftover from the prior set.

This is a GX550 with I think the 32.6" dia tire. It looks like there might be just enough space to fit.
1711585256896.png

Makes sense. I've never rotated the spare into service. I did have the 285/75/17s on my 5th gen 4Runner and found them to be a really nice size that is available in tread patterns that work well on the highway because I did mostly highway miles even on offroad trips. But I kept a 285/70/17 spare - mostly because it was a leftover from the prior set.

This is a GX550 with I think the 32.6" dia tire. It looks like there might be just enough space to fit.
View attachment 3592839

If the exhaust and axle share the same clearance as the bumper cutout radius, it should clear a 35” tire.

You can always run the spare partially deflated if you have onboard air. Having the inverter means the world of air compressor options just got a lot bigger and cheaper too.

You can always run the spare partially deflated if you have onboard air. Having the inverter means the world of air compressor options just got a lot bigger and cheaper too.

That works if the interference does not include the exhaust. Heat is heat. I still can’t imagine the stock tire fitting that tight into its location where there is not room for a 34-35 to fit. Waiting the first one to arrive here in Durango and I’ll go see for myself.

Hardly, I doubt the inverter will have enough capacity.

2400 watts? That should handle anything people consider portable for trail use. But personally I have no interest in having to inflate my spare to use it on a daily driver.

It is 2400 watts (120v 20amps). I don't know yet for Toyota, but I'd be surprised if that isn't continuous output. Peak is likely higher. Ford spec inverter wattage is continuous. And Toyota is typically conservative with its numbers. If so - that's almost every 120v air compressor sold in the USA market. I'm not sure it'll be a lot cheaper than high cfm 12v options like the Smittybilt 5cfm one that's pretty common. I have one of those and it works well. But if I had the inverter, I'd probably buy a 120v AC one instead. Just for the ability to use it more places.

0 offset wheels are a big part of the problem. Probably fit better with stock offset.

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom