Possible TX Stroker build. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just get the turbo and be done with it imo.

At a point you max out the factory computer and then the big money comes in. You can only go so far with what you have so why not get that power the most economical way and that's with Joey's turbo kit.

I’m going to keep chasing this rabbit for a bit and get some idea of the $$$ I need to spend to get this to a unique build with the HP I want. I’ll keep you guys updated.

Count me skeptical but how does a 10% increase in displacement net a 42% increase in power? The kit doesn't do any head work. I would bet you don't get anywhere near 90hp.

Nick,
We can definitely find you builder but we have a few options on the kit. What are your HP and RPM goals? Are you staying NA or going forced induction?
Typical gains with the stroker kit are 80-90 HP with an equivalent amount of torque and anything you do beyond this will only enhance the performance. You will not lose drivability at all with the increased displacement.

Thank you,

Dustin Spencer
-------
Brian Crower, Inc.

Count me skeptical but how does a 10% increase in displacement net a 42% increase in power? The kit doesn't do any head work. I would bet you don't get anywhere near 90hp.

That is exactly what I was looking at when I first asked the OP if he was looking for more torque. I see the Stroker Kit as providing a good 'base' for other modifications that could wake up the engine...but not providing impressive gains by itself.

I DO like the idea of increasing displacement and stroke, I've always thought the base engine to be a bit small. 'Ford' (blasphemy I know) had it right many, many years ago with their 300 c.i. Six Cylinder. Mr. T could have made this one bigger to start with.

Personally...I'd slap a turbo on it and IF that didn't give me what I wanted....I'd consider other avenues. Or just call Robbie and follow his good advice.

But if the OP is more interested in having something 'unique', then a stroker kit would provide that...along with modest gains, nothing wrong with that. Love to see some real life 'dyno' figures afterward.

Last edited:
Too many nice people in here trying to save the guy money, if he wants to do a stroker kit then let the man do his stroker kit. I vote for stroker plus turbo. Things that arent common around here tend to get turned down right away for a more conventional approach.

Too many nice people in here trying to save the guy money, if he wants to do a stroker kit then let the man do his stroker kit. I vote for stroker plus turbo. Things that arent common around here tend to get turned down right away for a more conventional approach.

...for good reason 😜

I'd just like to point out that turboing your land cruiser is now seen as a "conventional approach" :rofl:

Anyone turbo robbies 4.6 yet?

Anyone turbo robbies 4.6 yet?

i still think you are going to hit around the same HP. the stock computer can only deal with so much air in and so much fuel pumped before its at the max. sure it will make a little more power but without changing the computer you are very limited with what you can do.

i still think you are going to hit around the same HP. the stock computer can only deal with so much air in and so much fuel pumped before its at the max. sure it will make a little more power but without changing the computer you are very limited with what you can do.

Oh come on! If we are going to dream, lets dream big! I am sure you could find a piggyback box to control the injectors :worms:

Things like doing a stroker build seem sexy, but then comes the bill. I cringe to think how much money could be dropped on a stroker build with a turbo and some sort of engine management system. Probably at least 25k by the time everything is sorted out? At that point, just go REALLY unique and pay a shop to do a 1HD swap with an aftermarket turbo!

Bingo

Do it to it! Turbo and stroker!

There is a saying that al the V8 people brag about, "there ain't no replacement for displacement".

It's such a BS saying, as there really is, it's called turbocharging! Plain and simple with better returns than boring and stroking when you look a thing he dollars invested. You get great mileage off boost with little wear, but when you push the skinny pedal you get the amazing torque pull of a large displacement engine.

It's a no brainer decision, I have destroyed many a large displacement engine on the drag strip with my 2.8 litre turbocharged Datsun Z car back in the day. They were all shocked when they learned the displacement that just beat there big ass V8:rofl:

There is a saying that al the V8 people brag about, "there ain't no replacement for displacement".

It's such a BS saying, as there really is, it's called turbocharging! Plain and simple with better returns than boring and stroking when you look a thing he dollars invested. You get great mileage off boost with little wear, but when you push the skinny pedal you get the amazing torque pull of a large displacement engine.

It's a no brainer decision, I have destroyed many a large displacement engine on the drag strip with my 2.8 litre turbocharged Datsun Z car back in the day. They were all shocked when they learned the displacement that just beat there big ass V8:rofl:

Actually you've taken that out of context, the saying has always been with respect to naturally aspirated engines and still holds true when confined as such. No one is arguing that a person could supercharge, turbocharge, (both) a smaller displacement engine to make it perform better. There is nitrous, head porting, increasing compression, etc....as well. But when you do the SAME to a larger engine...then come back and tell us about it.

Your point is well taken....that smaller engines can perform well too...but it takes a lot massaging to get them there.

Actually you've taken that out of context, the saying has always been with respect to naturally aspirated engines and still holds true when confined as such. No one is arguing that a person could supercharge, turbocharge, (both) a smaller displacement engine to make it perform better. There is nitrous, head porting, increasing compression, etc....as well. But when you do the SAME to a larger engine...then come back and tell us about it.

Your point is well taken....that smaller engines can perform well too...but it takes a lot massaging to get them there.

It depends what and where the context is. I am going back 30 years ago when I showed up at the track. The good ol boys in their V8's (typically naturally aspirated with their headers, cam, Holly carb and dual exhaust) always chuckled at the little Japanese car with a little straight 6 in it. They were often unaware of what a turbo could do, as they were V8 brainwashed.
Quite frequently they left with their tail between their legs, as that tiny, 2600 lb, 350 hp Jap scrap as they called, kicked their ass.

Yes you are correct the SC V8's were a challenge, but my light weight still gave them a bit of competition.

Where I lived a SC V8 was rarity, so most of my competition was NA, so I did very well on the strip.

The fun part was when I got beat, I would pop the hood, dial up the boost 1-2 psi, tweak the RRGFP regulator and beat them the next time, of course I only did this a few times, and eventually, I was introduced to the excessive boost detonation monster:bang: .

I was also one of the few people in my area running a turbo engine, most people were afraid of them because of horror stories they all heard about turbos failing and costing lots of money to fix. All because owners never did proper maintenance.

But my point is actually that a turbo is a better choice for increasing HP for a street driven engine vs a big bore/stroke engine. It's cheaper, more street able, better for everyday use, easier to cool as there is more cylinder cooling capacity and less flex with the thicker cylinder walls.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom