Possible TX Stroker build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But my point is actually that a turbo is a better choice for increasing HP for a street driven engine vs a big bore/stroke engine.

We are in agreement. Different conversation from displacement however.

High horsepower, low weight is always hard to beat.

Circa early 1970's, Austin, Texas....my Older brother and I dropped a Hi-po 289 (from a mustang) into a Pinto. Narrowed a Ford 9" for a rear end, mated to a Ford top loader 4 speed, custom driveshaft, scatter shield. Made for quite the 'sleeper'. Hard to get it to 'hook up' but once going.....would humble many a more powerful vehicle at the time.

So anything is possible....but it doesn't negate solid principles such as displacement (and a few others).

Typically a "stroker" is to shorten the stroke to gain higher RPM. Is that what's happening here? If so, the torque curve moves to the right on the chart. It may or may not increase.

I'm not sure of the specs, so this is more of a question than anything else. Just stroking will not gain huge HP.

@scottryana weren't you in the process of building a 4 digit HP 1FZ truck? Are you done yet?

Incorrect typically a stroker is lengthening the stroke to increase displacement.

A Short stroke engine is shortening stroke to increase RPMs.

Typically a "stroker" is to shorten the stroke to gain higher RPM. Is that what's happening here? If so, the torque curve moves to the right on the chart. It may or may not increase.

I'm not sure of the specs, so this is more of a question than anything else. Just stroking will not gain huge HP.

@scottryana weren't you in the process of building a 4 digit HP 1FZ truck? Are you done yet?

“Nick,
We can do the complete stroker kit for $6200 which would include the billet BC crankshaft, BC PRO SERIES rods and CP or JE pistons w/ all hardware. The kit would also come fully balanced and ready to install.
It’s hard for me to recommend a shop unless I have personally been to the location be have our local engine builder here if you wanted to ship the block.

You won’t be disappointed with a stroker 1fzfe platform.

Thank you,

Dustin Spencer”

Going to source a shop in Dallas before pulling the trigger. Just updating you guys on the convo.

If I’m going to do it I might as well do the 5.2L with 105 right. If I’m going in and spending that much to stroke it I might as well go all out with it.

Maybe? How do you feel about rod vs stroke length?

If I’m going to do it I might as well do the 5.2L with 105 right. If I’m going in and spending that much to stroke it I might as well go all out with it.

With all the talk about Robbie's engines, has anyone slapped a turbo on one of those bad boys yet?
Just a quick swap of a SC for a trubo ;)

If you supply the kit we can do the machine work and assembly (including balancing) at a cost of $1750.00. If any clearancing is needed it would be an additional cost.“

Found a shop

Ok so updates on the Stroker. I found one shop that will do anything you want and give no feedback. Found another shop that currently is working on my rig doing about $4500 in maintenance. He does hot rods but doesn’t know much about the 1fz or it’s limits. He said he thinks it’s a bad idea to stroke it to 5.2 and cam it. He thinks the motor is too old and not meant to handle that kind of performance. He admitted he’s only maintained these engines and doesn’t know what they can really hold. I was under the impression over the 4 I have owned that these engines are bomber and can handle a lot so long as it’s not a modification to take the RPMs to extremes.

The goal is to stroke to 5.2, mild cam and turbo with witts ends. Hopefully getting into the 450+ Hp and 500tq using the original block.
What is your opinions on the ability of the engine to handle these mods and say make it to 50,000 miles? It will be used for cross country trips, mountain passes, mud, mountain trails and even some towing.

and please keep the engine swap recommendations out. Still have no desire to put an American V8 in my rig. They sound great but I want it to have the original heart at some capacity.

Ok so updates on the Stroker. I found one shop that will do anything you want and give no feedback. Found another shop that currently is working on my rig doing about $4500 in maintenance. He does hot rods but doesn’t know much about the 1fz or it’s limits. He said he thinks it’s a bad idea to stroke it to 5.2 and cam it. He thinks the motor is too old and not meant to handle that kind of performance. He admitted he’s only maintained these engines and doesn’t know what they can really hold. I was under the impression over the 4 I have owned that these engines are bomber and can handle a lot so long as it’s not a modification to take the RPMs to extremes.

The goal is to stroke to 5.2, mild cam and turbo with witts ends. Hopefully getting into the 450+ Hp and 500tq using the original block.
What is your opinions on the ability of the engine to handle these mods and say make it to 50,000 miles? It will be used for cross country trips, mountain passes, mud, mountain trails and even some towing.

and please keep the engine swap recommendations out. Still have no desire to put an American V8 in my rig. They sound great but I want it to have the original heart at some capacity.
I can offer no advice but sounds awesome.

My engine guy is amazed with how stout the 1fz is made. Full size main bearings between each cylinder. Oil nozzles here and there... Basically built like a tractor engine.

I just rebuilt a 300k engine that did not show wear enough to warrant boring out the cylinders. My point is if these "old engines" are not strong enough, nothing is.

My engine guy is amazed with how stout the 1fz is made. Full size main bearings between each cylinder. Oil nozzles here and there... Basically built like a tractor engine.

I just rebuilt a 300k engine that did not show wear enough to warrant boring out the cylinders. My point is if these "old engines" are not strong enough, nothing is.

^^^^^

There's your answer. 👍

Stroking to 5.2 is not necessary. And gives you a bad rod length to stroke ratio unless you know how to design new pistons, rods, and crank. The off the shelf kits do not do this.

400hp and 500ft/lbs can be done on stock bottom end with a turbo.

If you supply the kit we can do the machine work and assembly (including balancing) at a cost of $1750.00. If any clearancing is needed it would be an additional cost.“

Found a shop

Would you mind sharing the shop you decided to go with?

Oh the shop doing my maintenance is Knapp auto. He says he can do the stroke as well but hasn’t given me a price and not sure he wants to do it. The $1750 price quote for the stroke is from city motor supply. They rebuild and stroke motors all day every day. I may just go with them for the stroke and cam. They are big on engine internals and machine and such. The turbo is likely not up their alley. Maybe Knapp can do it for me.

So you are going to spend $20,000.00 PLUS for an engine?

What about fuel management? What about transmission/xfer case?

I think you are negating the OEM reliability by doing the stroker. A good factory rebuild and turbo is your best move.

But hey, it's your money and your dream so rock on!

This thing has a bus transmission, the 5.9 Cummins diesel swaps keep the same transmission and transfer case, so I don’t see that as a weak point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom