Pole Barn Build Thread (Only took 30 years) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, it is finally going to happen, a pole barn (cruiser workshop). It only took 30 years of wrenching in the driveway, many times only after shoveling a spot to work from. 30 years of dropping the wrenches, sockets, etc because my fingers were too cold to hold them any longer. Finally I get to move all the cruisers and parts home from my shop at work to my new workshop. Just signed on with the excavator to prep the building pad and then in October the building goes up. Current dealing with the village for permit, conditional use, etc......I will be documenting the entire process with pics and comments on the build.

Northland Buildings
30 x 48 x 16
16 x 14 OH door
3 x 7 man door
2-post lift (eventually)

BARN 1.JPG

I feel your pain!
I finally built mine 2 years ago (with lift) and life is much nicer now. :)
However instead of losing sockets in the snow or gravel they bounce somewhere never to be seen again. Dont know how that happens.
You will wish you had more than one door tho.
Congratulations and keep the progress posts coming.
Bobmo

I was thinking the same. My shop is the same size as yours (not as tall), but I have a slider on one wall and a double garage door on another wall with both open I catch a great breeze. Mine gets very hot inside with only one big door open.

She's going to be nice to work in!

Last edited:
I have turnbuckles on each side and one in the center to hold the doors closed.
The wind comes under and over the doors.
Have any solutions?

No, not really. Mine isn't insulated, so I just use a big tube heater and let it blast when I'm working in there. I'd rig up some type insulation that could be removed when needed to get out that way.

I feel your pain!
I finally built mine 2 years ago (with lift) and life is much nicer now. :)
However instead of losing sockets in the snow or gravel they bounce somewhere never to be seen again. Dont know how that happens.
Congratulations and keep the progress posts coming.
Bobmo
Hi Bob, I agree with you on the one door issue but my intended interior layout does not work well with a 2nd door anywhere on the perimiter. I will be adding more windows for additional cross ventilation as $ is available. Thanks for your input.

Ventilation is important.
My original concern is when your shop is full and the vehicle in front of your only door craps out.
SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE HERE.

Ventilation is important.
My original concern is when your shop is full and the vehicle in front of your only door craps out.
SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE HERE.
I am really looking forward to the process overall. It is not my "perfecr" setup but it will be a huge step forward. I would have liked to do "in floor" heating, multiple doors, and a seperate room for grinding, welding......all the dirty stuff.

Well, it is finally going to happen, a pole barn (cruiser workshop). It only took 30 years of wrenching in the driveway, many times only after shoveling a spot to work from. 30 years of dropping the wrenches, sockets, etc because my fingers were too cold to hold them any longer. Finally I get to move all the cruisers and parts home from my shop at work to my new workshop. Just signed on with the excavator to prep the building pad and then in October the building goes up. Current dealing with the village for permit, conditional use, etc......I will be documenting the entire process with pics and comments on the build.

Northland Buildings
30 x 48 x 16
16 x 14 OH door
3 x 7 man door
2-post lift (eventually)

View attachment 2049705
Nice! Mirror image layout of my 26x40.
A suggestion on the mezz, consider placing it above the man door...reduces unusable space. I placed two crank-out windows up high on the far end from the door with a ~30” fan hanging at one of them, more breeze than I need with that running, good for clearing fumes out.

No looking back after a warm dry place to wrench, and the hoist will help you enjoy the hobby as you get older (read sore & stiff)

@Ol Yeller , thanks for your comments. I have the mezz in the back so I can use the bottom for the dirty stuff (sandblaster, grinder, drill press, welder, etc....from the mezz I can hang some of those clear vinyl strips like in a warehouse that the forklifts drive through. On top of the mezz I will have a small office in the back upper right corner. At least that is the plan.....could change. Feel free to post some pics of your shop.......you know we all like pics :D

from the mezz I can hang some of those clear vinyl strips like in a warehouse that the forklifts drive through.
Great idea!

If you haven’t already, go loose a few evenings browsing The Garage journal forums, lots of great ideas over there.

So, just to add to the frustration.......there used to be a business here in town called Wills RV center and the guy had a really nice pole barn with a 16 x 14 insulated door with windows and commercial opener. The property was recently bought by Kwik Trip and was slated to be bulldozed for the new gas station. Of course I call Kwik Trip corporate headquarters to inquire about the garage door and opener. Their "legal" team called me back with a firm "NO, no one is allowed on the property". I offered to pay them $1500 for the door and opener and have a garage door guy come in and do the removal professionally. I even offered to sign any legal document releasing them from any liability whatsoever. No, no, no.........they just bulldozed the entire site a couple days ago. Perfectly good door and opener trashed. What an absolute waste. Now, a new set will cost me $3800 :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: total :poop: heads!

Now I'm dealing with the village red tape......conditional use, special zoning permit (over height restriction), new TOPO survey for drainage, blah, blah, blah....$500 here, $35 there, $350 there, all for "paperwork". You pay taxes on the land but you have to ask permission to do anything with it for just about everything. 🤬🤬

On a happier note, I'm looking at one of these for the service door.

Now I'm dealing with the village red tape......conditional use, special zoning permit (over height restriction), new TOPO survey for drainage, blah, blah, blah....$500 here, $35 there, $350 there, all for "paperwork". You pay taxes on the land but you have to ask permission to do anything with it for just about everything. 🤬🤬

On a happier note, I'm looking at one of these for the service door.

I found out after I bought my steel door that they are super common at the used building supply places, at least around here, might save a bunch if you look at that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom