Pole Barn Build Thread (Only took 30 years) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found out after I bought my steel door that they are super common at the used building supply places, at least around here, might save a bunch if you look at that?
Excellent idea, thanks!

Well, with the village BS height ordinance at 15' for the sidewall I ended up dropping the sidewall from 16' to 15' and then switching over to scissors trusses to gain the extra foot back inside. On the plus side.....I save $500 for no zoning variance request, no 4 x 8 white sign in my yard letting all the neighbors know that I am asking for a zoning variance, no month long wait to present my case to the village board for approval or denial (no refund if denied). The cost of the pole barn dropped $500 for dropping the height of the sidewall by 1 ft. On the negative side.....going to scissors trusses was +$800..............but, will all the positives it was a good move after all.

Looks like your hiring out for site prep. Are you hiring a company or building the pole barn yourself. I’m looking at building one with living quarters or a garage with living quarters.

Is a pole barn vastly different than a metal building? Does a pole barn use strictly poles and are welded together vs using hardware for a typical steel building?

Still better than no building! 15' sidewall height is still pretty high for a shop.
Hi, sorry @GLTHFJ60 for the late reply to your message. Not sure why I missed yours and like the next 3 :bang: . You are correct, it will be great for sure and much better now that the shop will be at home instead of located remotely.

Looks like your hiring out for site prep. Are you hiring a company or building the pole barn yourself. I’m looking at building one with living quarters or a garage with living quarters.
Hi @Hojack , very sorry for the late reply to your message. I hired a guy who was recommended to me from the company who just did my new blacktop driveway. In fact, the site prep was just done today, see pics I have added to this thread. Northland Buildings is building my pole barn as I work about 60+ hours a week and just don't have the time to do it right now. I like your idea of the garage with living quarters. Make sure you check into your local zoning/building codes as I know here they frown big time on having living quarters inside a "garage".

Is a pole barn vastly different than a metal building? Does a pole barn use strictly poles and are welded together vs using hardware for a typical steel building?
Hi @alia176 , sorry for the delay on responding to your question. There are many terms for basically the same thing. Probably just depends on what part of the country your are from. Pole Barn, Pole Building, Outbuilding, Hobby Garage, Metal Building, and probably many more. Typically the "pole barns" are built with laminated 2x6 beams, standard type roof trusses and corrugated sheetmetal on the outside. Some "steel buildings" are constructed with tubular steel or I-Beam type frames and then again with sheetmetal on the outside.

Hi folks, updates/progress pics. Site work completed today for the 30 x 48 x 15 building. The pad is larger than the building to allow for a concrete apron and at least 1' of concrete extended beyond the perimeter of the building. The new Cruiser shop is coming along :clap:

1570593115185.JPEG

1570593115336.JPEG

1570593115434.JPEG

1570593115648.JPEG

1570593115690.JPEG

Last edited:
More but that last few are dark because I worked late AGAIN :bang:

1570593115939.JPEG

1570593116035.JPEG

1570593116077.JPEG

1570593116231.JPEG

Actually the county said in order to get power on the property you must build a dwelling. You can’t build a barn or shop alone. I asked about having living quarters inside a pole barn and they said they approve that. Once a cabin or replacement dwelling is built the living quarters in the pole barn need to be removed.

Looking great, and its got to be a great feeling to see things getting started since you haven't got to the slab portion yet. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest you make a run to H/D (you local industrial plumbing supply is likely cheaper) and buy about 1200 feet of 3/4 pex rated for radiant floor heating and break your shop up in to 4 equal parts of floor space across the narrow dimension for your zone loops.

Get your loops in now, you dont have to buy the manifolds or the heat source or anything else just get the pex in the slab now for the future, you only get one shot to do that. I would space my loops on 16" centers save for the one zone closest to the doors and put that one 12" centers for the 1st 2 or 3 runs of that circuit across the front.

My shop is the same sq/ft as your but my footprint is 36x40, and have a HUGE wood stove for heat and its insulated finished inside so it warms up rather well, and keeps heat ok.... I want more than anything else for my shop that I had infloor radiant so I could run a small propane boiler and keep the slab at about 40*f all winter to just keep the chill off when I am not using it, so the trucks would have a place to thaw out at night..... and just keep the place from freezing up

I aggree with the previous comment about running PEX everywhere. Someday, oh I don't know, maybe when I'm 70, I'll build my shop with radiant floor heating using solar water heating system. It'll run all day and heat up the slab and not run at night time. Using a solar powered pump, the cost to keep this running all day should be minuscule.

Compacted pics

20191009_141025.jpg

20191009_141131.jpg

20191009_141202.jpg

20191009_141208.jpg

20191009_141218.jpg

My buddy Matt works for a HVAC company and picked up a boiler for radiant floor heat. The customer remodeled and bought a larger unit so this one he decided to take. Since getting my new property near Crater Lake, Oregon he decided I’d need it more and donated it to the cause.
CF344235-3D85-4E7F-BAC3-D3BB44BC5783.jpeg
83208B29-EB10-4D4A-AC95-4A5ADFFDBA11.jpeg
D1C60A23-5360-4CD0-A739-B8DC0999650E.jpeg

It get down right cold there. Last winter is was almost -40F.
B2448FBA-B7ED-4EF9-8999-3B40C33BFF74.jpeg

Had a village meeting last week to approve the variance for height and one neighbor who I have always gotten along with very well showed up to the meeting and tried to sabotage my permit. They said my building was going to block out all the sunlight for their apple trees. Their plan failed like Hillary in 2016. When I asked why they are against my building with a 21ft peak height and had no issue with the solid tree line that is a minimum of 30ft high next to my building they went silent.......like church mice. I told my wife "see this is why I have always told you that the best kind of neighbor is no neighbor".

Building permit approved

Material delivery on Monday :bounce:

Updates and more pics coming soon!

Last edited:
"see this is why I have always told you that the best kind of neighbor is no neighbor".

So true, and our philosophy also. Even with a big enough piece of land that we can't see any neighbors from our house, they can still annoy us. One wouldn't let the electric co-op come off of a pole on their property for our power; cost me $3,000 more to go down the road to another pole not on their land. Others have parties with super loud music that we can hear. In that case, I no longer feel bad about shooting on our place first thing in the morning. :flipoff2:

Let that lead fly my friend. Hopefully some .44 Magnum noise :D

I think the 338lm should come out @ about 7AM the morning after such parties there 1911..... after all it gets hot and you would want to get you target practice in before it warms up too much right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom