Please help identify this FJ40 model year (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jdz

Threads
Hi guys i want t buy my first FJ and had a look around and found this which is in great condition. The owner told me that the year is 1978. However if you look at the windshield, the wipers are from the top. So i am not sure if this is an older model. So please help me identify the year of this FJ if possible.

Pics attached

BTW i am a new member from Sri Lanka :)

IMG_1043.jpg
IMG_1044.jpg
IMG_1043.jpg
IMG_1044.jpg
IMG_1045.jpg
IMG_1046.jpg
IMG_1049.jpg
IMG_1043.jpg
IMG_1044.jpg
IMG_1045.jpg
IMG_1046.jpg
IMG_1049.jpg
IMG_1043.jpg IMG_1044.jpg IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1049.jpg IMG_1043.jpg IMG_1044.jpg IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1049.jpg IMG_1043.jpg IMG_1044.jpg IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1049.jpg

definitely older then 78 with that dash and doors

i didnt see where you are located so im unsure.

Looks like it might be a conglomeration of parts. What does the VIN plate say? What is the VIN number?

Looks like it might be a conglomeration of parts. What does the VIN plate say? What is the VIN number?

Hi, i had a look at the VIN number but couldnt make a record of it. But thanks for the info. Maybe the chasis is off a 78. Thats why the registration book says its 1978.

definitely older then 78 with that dash and doors

i didnt see where you are located so im unsure.
Yes i was thinking the same. And with the wipers at the top as well. What year do you reckon '71 or older?

My 73 has the wipers on the top. Yours has the later turn signals. Not a 78. Correct rear doors for early 70s. I have to agree with spotcruiser. Looks like the PO just used what ever year parts he could find to replace old parts.

In the US market the wiper on top of the windshield and that style side door ended with the 74 model. 75 and later tubs would need a adapter to work with those doors. But that was US market. Clearance lights on the apron ended with the 74 which had the larger turn signal like the ones pictured which had the light build in. The clearance on these look to far back and stock. That style of tail lights started with the 74 model. Ambulance doors started in the US market in 75. Emblem in the bib ended with the 73 model. Looks to be a combination parts from different years. Starting with the 68 model had a padded dash in the US.

I wouldn't mention the bezel being upside down but I'm sure someone will.

I'm wondering if it isn't just a late '74.

Windshield, doors, apron markers and taillights are ALL consistent.

Microfiche shows VKC ambi doors as OPT starting in either February or April of that year (can't remember exactly off the topf of my head.

Mark

My guess its,you are looking at many different years. The frame is probably the 1978 part. The tub is a mix match of years. the Hard top/amby doors might be from a 78 but the front doors are 74 or older. Ive never seen a steering column like that before and the ridges in the middle of the dash appear to be from the 60's. The cowl with the vent on top is definitely 74 down.

That fox sticker is right where the wiper motor is housed for 75' or later. maybe that sticker is hiding old wiper motor bolt holes? Everything looks 75' and newer except for wiper.

Is that a B diesel engine? Those started in 1978 or so I think as well, but the ribbed dash is from earlier.

As for the hardtop, at least in the US models, '77 and later hardtops had the kick-out vent side windows.

Might just be the picture but if your looking to buy it check the bottom of the doors. That is a very common rust area and it kinda looks like rust bubbles down there... Or it could just be the reflection. Nice paint jobs hide issues sometimes

The jeep sticker is not stock. My guess is a early 2000s emblem from a wrangler.

Someone also mounted the weatherstrip on the tub and top not on the door as was factory...

Looks like it might be a conglomeration of parts. ...

Is that a B diesel engine? Those started in 1978 or so ......

Hi there jdz and welcome to ih8mud.

I'm with these guys I've quoted above.

With that diesel engine now (which is indeed a 2977cc B-diesel of around 1978 vintage) it's really now a BJ40 model rather than an FJ40 model.

But how it started it's life can only be told by looking at the VIN/Chassis details stamped on the front of the right-hand chassis rail. (The chassis is always considered to be the BASIS of these vehicles.)

But whoever did the work, it looks to me like they took a lot of care to end up with such a good-looking (and straight-looking) cruiser... :)

:beer:

PS. The colour looks like Toyota "Tidal Blue" which is the same as my :princess:'s Toyota Corolla

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom