Help Identifying this (speedometer?) part…1975 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
This comes about because the dash speedometer in a 1979 FJ45 does not work… the cable runs from The Transmission straight through to the back of the speedometer. I have not investigated it further yet by removing the cable from the transmission and see if the cable is intact.

I also remember that 49 years ago my 1974 FJ40 had a device on the firewall had a cable to the speedo and then a cable going to the trans.

‘’I took this photo of the 1975 FJ40 and it has the same configuration.

does this mean the FJ45 speedometer will not work unless it has this device at mid cable? Does the FJ45 speedometer run as a direct fit from transmission to speedometer?

I tried looking up the part number but I get several different things

IMG_0807.jpeg
IMG_0808.jpeg
and none that look like this

My '75 has it too.

From what I understand it was like a little clock/odometer for the EGR system that triggers the light when service is due. When I was at JimC's shop last year he told me, since I'm desmogged and my EGR stuff is gone, I could bypass it using the longer speedo cable available on other model year 40s.

Thanks @aging fleet this just makes too much sense now that you‘ve laid it out this way… I’m de-smogged and my 1974 was de-smogged when I drove it home by the first week. I had never associated it this way before but I remember now pulling that air pump and plugging the holes with those 1/4” type brass pipe plugs. It was always in line though and I never gave it a second thought.

the FJ45 is non-US and was never smog equipped…therefore it just has a full length cable…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom