Identify this mysterious brush holder (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_4905.JPG
IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4907.JPG
IMG_4908.JPG
Hi, Have had some low charging in my 82 hj47 troopy for the last year and finally dealing with it. the Alt was making max 12.7v at the alt at 2000rpm. Figured it was worn brushes so ordered what I thought was the correct brush holder for the alt, but when I went ot swap them the one currently in it is different. It appears that the new one will fit, but the wire are soldered to the current one, where the new one has threaded points for fitting the wires to it with machine screws. Ive looked all over and cant find this brush holder. If anyone can Identify it I would be really stoked. I would also love to know if anyone knows if I can just unsolder the wires and add loops and screw the cable to the new one?

one last thing. the current one has different wear to the two brushes. one is just under the minimum length and the other is still within acceptability but close to being done. It seems like this brush set should still be making the right amount of power, but what do I know.

Would love to know the model of this holder. Thanks! :)

I suspect you should be able to put on connector to the wires - make sure nothing is shorting out by touching along the side or end. Weak contact pressure could affect performance, there could be other reasons like a weak diode, corrosion for example.

I suspect you should be able to put on connector to the wires - make sure nothing is shorting out by touching along the side or end. Weak contact pressure could affect performance, there could be other reasons like a weak diode, corrosion for example.
Thanks! when you say a weak diode. is that one of many in a internal circuit or is there a replacable diode somewhere? or is it a "get a new alt or rebuilt" situation?

Diodes are usually replaceable, if you can find replacements. I'd be looking hard for the correct alternator rebuild manual for your unit. It will have all the spec's for you test to make sure everything is functioning correctly. You might want to check your voltmeter and make sure its telling the truth. Be a good plan to load test your battery too.

Diodes are usually replaceable, if you can find replacements. I'd be looking hard for the correct alternator rebuild manual for your unit. It will have all the spec's for you test to make sure everything is functioning correctly. You might want to check your voltmeter and make sure its telling the truth. Be a good plan to load test your battery too.
The voltmeter tells me the same thing the battery monitor tells me so Im pretty sure its working correctly. The battery is only a year old and its been like this since then so Im pretty sure its good, but I spose you can still get a new bad battery. Never intentionally Load tested it. this is something I need to get a battery place to check?

Most places like Autozone will test batteries for free. I bought some like $50 unit of Amoron - seems to work ok as a tester. I think battery quality has really went down hill over the years.

Most places like Autozone will test batteries for free. I bought some like $50 unit of Amoron - seems to work ok as a tester. I think battery quality has really went down hill over the years.
Ok, I ll give that a shot. thanks for that tip. otherwise I think ill take it to my neighbourhood alt rebuilder If the new brushes dont fix the problem.

That part # googled calls it a voltage regulator. I bet your alt. shop could tell you what it is and maybe sell you a new one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom