Please Help ID This Auxiliary Gas Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserkreutz

SILVER Star
Threads
This was sitting loose in the back of a Cruiser I recently purchased. The guy I bought the rig from said it was a homemade tank, built by the previous owner to him. I was just going to take it to our local steel recycling place, but figured I should see if it's worth salvaging first. If it's not a homemade tank, I'll probably keep it.

Thanks
20170211_124153.jpg
20170211_124117.jpg

Last edited:
That is one heavy looking tank and it has an air hose quick connector installed. I don't know for sure but it looks homemade.

Definitely homemade Justin. Interesting angle iron positioning, considering the bottom of the 40 frame is flat and the angle iron is welded on at an angle. I wonder what they were after with that?

Definitely homemade Justin. Interesting angle iron positioning, considering the bottom of the 40 frame is flat and the angle iron is welded on at an angle. I wonder what they were after with that?

Thanks Mark, I have no idea what they were thinking on this thing. I'll just recycle it and see if I can get a few bucks for it.

Thanks again.

Put it in the classifieds. It looks solid enough. Someone with some skilz can weld better brackets on it. Prolly worth a hundy to a wheeler on the cheap.

The brackets look like they mount directly to the frame rail, the front ones angle in the same spot where the frame starts to curve over the axle. I don't see a spot for a pickup tube, the bung looks more like a drain hole than a pickup.

It looks like a well made tank, if it doesn't leak why not use it?

If it's not properly sealed inside to prevent rust you are opening yourself up to a world of hurt later. I read about a guy who used a "homemade" tank. The rust eventually ruined the fuel pump, injectors, and virtually every fuel line. Trying to save himself some coin on a properly made tank ended up costing him a couple grand in total repair bills. Just my 2¢.

The brackets look like they mount directly to the frame rail, the front ones angle in the same spot where the frame starts to curve over the axle. I don't see a spot for a pickup tube, the bung looks more like a drain hole than a pickup.

It looks like a well made tank, if it doesn't leak why not use it?

I'm thinking the air hose fitting is the pickup tube. If a drain would expect just a plug or a valve. This I think had a hose clamped on. My 68 had a home made tank I used for many years. My 70 had one very close in design. Both are removed since I no longer travel long distances in a 40 that require that much gas. Today if I need extra gas I hook up a small trailer and carry GI cans. That way I can pour it into another vehicle rather than have sit in a tank and go bad. I currently have three loose home made tanks with another one I need to remove. If you need the extra capacity I think it was a great use of the space. Problem is if you don't use it regularly like mentioned can cause problems which is why I opted for GI cans.

I think you're right that it was used as the pickup, but what I meant to say is it would be better to use that as a drain because that location would end up sucking up all the crap at the bottom of the tank whereas the pickup tubes are usually suspended above the bottom.

The usefulness of an aux tank is debatable. Personally, it's my favorite mod on my 40, I never have to worry about carrying gas cans again. For others it's a waste of money or dead weight. But if it's something you already have and you've got nothing else taking up that space, I don't see much downside. Worse case you just keep it empty until you need it.

I don't know if the any of the aftermarket tanks are coated internally. When I cut a spot for the fuel sender in mine and I don't remember it having a coating. I thought about putting one in but I figure if it lasted 30+ years without one, I probably don't have much to worry about. Since it's already out of the truck a can of sealant would fix most problems.

Last edited:
s-l64.jpg
La Grande, take a look at ebay #252496604117, you could use something like that with this tank, it is adjustable for the tank depth. You would not need the bolt ring that goes inside the tank, your steel tank is sooooo thick that you could merely drill and tap the mounting holes. With this you could use the Centroid electronic sending unit and an in-tank pump- - -easy deal.

I think you're right that it was used as the pickup, but what I meant to say is it would be better to use that as a drain because that location would end up sucking up all the crap at the bottom of the tank whereas the pickup tubes are usually suspended above the bottom.

The usefulness of an aux tank is debatable. Personally, it's my favorite mod on my 40, I never have to worry about carrying gas cans again. For others it's a waste of money or dead weight. But if it's something you already have and you've got nothing else taking up that space, I don't see much downside. Worse case you just keep it empty until you need it.

I don't know if the any of the aftermarket tanks are coated internally. When I cut a spot for the fuel sender in mine and I don't remember it having a coating. I thought about putting one in but I figure if it lasted 30+ years without one, I probably don't have much to worry about. Since it's already out of the truck a can of sealant would fix most problems.

I will bring up another plus and minus for a spare tank. Both my 68 and 70 spare tank sit on a skid plate that bolted to the rear frame member and supported in the front by the torque tube above the rear axle. That setup prevents dirt from getting in the rear sill below back doors/tailgate. That helps prevent rust. Downside is it's harder to wah out and almost impossible to access the back of the frame to install a pintle hook. Main reason I removed the tank from my 68. Your can get a 10 ton pintle that is also a 2" ball. To me this is the best setup for a FJ40. It allows both types of trailers and doesn't hang below the frame. Don't believe most these spare tanks have a baffles which should make it easier to clean out the inside and then get a kit to coat the inside or have a radiator shop clean and coat it.

Has anyone ever used just the auxiliary as the primary tank? My rig came with a fuel cell in the back compartment without the original under-passenger tank. I had a brand new SOR Con-Ferr copy installed, but is having inconsistent fuel flow and the fuel pump whines a lot. I no longer trust the mechanic that did the job, but he suggested putting baffles in. Ideas?

IMHO, I say use it.... Buy Downey's in-tank pump set up, and while you're at it clean and seal the inside with either KBS or POR's fuel tank sealer.

This is what I did and it came out great!

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

Then swap in a diesel! You won't have to worry about your auxiliary tank rusting and gas going bad. :)

There's one in every crowd.:rolleyes:

If gasoline was 25cents a gallon nobody would do those swaps for anything but sheer novelty.

There's one in every crowd.:rolleyes:

If gasoline was 25cents a gallon nobody would do those swaps for anything but sheer novelty.
Hi Mark--I've heard good things about your aux tanks--do you know of any fuel diagrams to use the aux as the primary? (that a noob would understand)

Then swap in a diesel! You won't have to worry about your auxiliary tank rusting and gas going bad. :)

You have apparently not ever had to deal with a contaminated diesel fuel system...

You have apparently not ever had to deal with a contaminated diesel fuel system...

Im not sure I understand?

A contaminated diesel fuel system seems like less of problem to deal with than gas to me...

Seems like with the Diesel not rusting tanks and the easily replaceable fuel filter and water separator contamination wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem...

IMG_2212.JPG

Water separator
IMG_2211.JPG

Fuel filter

Seems like a lot more to prevent contamination than a 2f?

Hi Mark--I've heard good things about your aux tanks--do you know of any fuel diagrams to use the aux as the primary? (that a noob would understand)
Many use the tank Mark sells as a stand-alone only tank. If using two tanks, it doesn't matter which one you use first (as your primary). Yes, Marks tank comes with a lavish installation instruction sheet to cover all options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom