Pig hunting (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shafts should be similar, but the bolt pattern of the flanges on the t-case, shaft, and 3rd member likely will be different...

Looks like they went from 10mm bolts to 11mm as well:

comp_flange.jpg

Looks like they went from 10mm bolts to 11mm as well:

comp_flange.jpg
Good info. Thank you. Since I will be putting new u-joints in, I might get lucky and be able to use the flanges from the '76 and the '70 shaft (?)

I hope to get lucky here $$ wise because I'd rather save for an H55/split case swap, which will need driveshafts modded then.

Good info. Thank you. Since I will be putting new u-joints in, I might get lucky and be able to use the flanges from the '76 and the '70 shaft (?)

Worth a shot! I do not now if the dimensions on the yolks changed? You could look up the u-joints and see what years they cross...

I hope to get lucky here $$ wise because I'd rather save for an H55/split case swap, which will need driveshafts modded then.

I feel you bro! I would like to acquire the same.

feel you bro! I would like to acquire the same

The sickness doesn't stop there. Ideally would be a Holley super sniper with a blow through turbo (cute little fella sized) in front of the H55.
@FJ60Cam is ready. Just gotta fund it.

The easiest thing it to reuse your 76 slip yoke on the 76 shaft

Then you can grab the flange off a third on your parts truck to match shaft or use the 76 pattern when rebuilding the ujoint.

Doing prep for SSS19. Pig in the air.

There is so much to do but only so much time. This approach will be much like how I looked at vehicles when I was 17, fix what you must and drive it. A few alterations though, like the lift kit. But it MUST go on to look right so I want to do more to it.
IMG_20190908_204256_065.jpg

I went ahead and got 4° steel shims for the front expecting loose steering feel from too little caster. Unfortunately the pins don't reach up though the shims to lock the axle housing so I plug welded a 3/8" grade 5 nut on the top of the pin and ground it to perfect exacting tolerance to make it reach higher, then a quick powder coat job because I know a guy ;)
20190913_130605.jpg
20190913_164443.jpg

Sticks up there right proud now. Honestly I think all the pins from ARB ought to come this way because there is plenty of room for the extra if one doesn't need the shim.
20190913_174150.jpg

Back to the LX470 parts truck/storage truck for more pieces to the lift
20190913_174537.jpg

Front lift is done, except for the steering stabilizer which I'll do with the tie rod kit. I broke all of the bolts free in the back and reapplied penetrating oil on them. I cut off the exhaust because the wizzards I hired to do the exhaust how I wanted and not to a price point did it "really cheap for you man" and not how I wanted. I will weld it back together exiting behind the wheel and not out the back.
Coming along well so far, just need to find some more hours!
20190914_222001.jpg

I only got one side of the rear lift done this weekend. Was hoping for both but that is some butt kicking work. Moving the rear spring mount was tough, as I knew it would be. Those rivets are in there good. Torch, bfh, air chisel, cut off grinder, more torch, more bfh and I got it.
The real test was getting that spring up in there. That sucker is massive. I will be shocked if I don't have to remove a leaf or three but I need to know so together it goes. That kicked my butt so much that one side is all I got tonight.
Still, it is a sweet lift.
20190915_192526.jpg
20190915_192516.jpg

Floor carnage
20190915_192506.jpg

I have that same beefy spring pack on the floor waiting, will be interesting to see how many leaves you take out.

If you haven’t already removed the other rivets @J Mack recomended a great method...drill the rivet after grinding the head to release some tension then it’ll pop right out with the air chisel, works good.

If you haven’t already removed the other rivets @J Mack recommended a great method
I've removed more than one rivet and if you use a good quality sharp drill bit and drill the rivet first this isn't a hard job, less than 30 minuets to remove both my rear hangers.

I have that same beefy spring pack on the floor waiting, will be interesting to see how many leaves you take out.

If you haven’t already removed the other rivets @J Mack recomended a great method...drill the rivet after grinding the head to release some tension then it’ll pop right out with the air chisel, works good.
I'll try that, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom