Pig hunting (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a great addition! I will be following your progress closely on getting back the original paint. The PO on my 40 spray painted mine black, but it’s thin and it doesn’t look like he used any primer, as I scraped some off with my fingernail in some areas. Maybe I can PM you for the materials that worked best for you. Congrats on the new cruiser!!

Thanks. Its so nice to nurture a Cruiser addiction amongs so many willing enablers!

ha ha, tell me about it. My bro just started working at the same place I do. He's restoring an FJ45 and I have the 55 and 40. We spend way too much time talking about landcruisers.

Looks like a great addition! I will be following your progress closely on getting back the original paint. The PO on my 40 spray painted mine black, but it’s thin and it doesn’t look like he used any primer, as I scraped some off with my fingernail in some areas. Maybe I can PM you for the materials that worked best for you. Congrats on the new cruiser!!

Absolutely, that sounds cool! There really isn't a lot lost at least giving the original paint a chance to show itself again. So many old finishes look terrible from lack of maintenance and exposure to the elements, then get painted over because they are "shot". Often they just need polishing and wax to look really decent again. If you can get the offending repaint off, there is still a chance to save the original finish. My 55 will be pretty rough looking, but I think if it is patina'd original with fresh finish on the grille, trim, and wheels, it will be really cool.

I made a bit more progress on the spray paint eradication tonight. Unfortunately I think the passenger side is in worse shape. The guy that painted it did a hasty sanding job on it with a da and possibly started on the passenger side, getting lazier on the drivers side. Hopefully I'm wrong but we'll see.

20180511_195018.jpg

Here are some interior pictures. Door panels are hopefully saveable, mat looks good. Nice custom wood glove box door!
Seat is really shot! I know a really good upholstery guy so time for a visit.
20180511_192355.jpg
20180511_192448.jpg
20180511_192404.jpg
20180511_192418.jpg

Engine compartment. Desmogged but I have most of the smog stuff. Has a 3fe exhaust manifold on it now but I have the original 2f manifold. Not sure which way I'll go there.
20180511_193016.jpg
20180511_193025.jpg

Man that paint is great.

I leaned on the fender pretty good with the buffer and heavy cut compound. Doesn't take out the scratches but shines it up pretty good.

Another big plus. NOS gaskets for the rear door fixed glass, some tailgate weatherstrip, rear door inner fuzzies.
20180511_221240.jpg

Looks like almost every thing is under the hood

Pig Party t-shirt picture!

Sure wish I was going to PP2018! The trip sounds as good as it gets. I hope there is a PP2019.

I'm getting to old to say "I wish I would have............. but next time..........."

Looks like almost every thing is under the hood

I have most of the smog stuff too. Air pump, air rail, etc. Not putting it on but good to have. The engine is supposed to be rebuilt in the last couple thousand miles. I have no way of knowing for sure but if it isn't, it would be a surprise to the PO too. He's one of those dudes you'd call a friend in one minute. It does need a carb going over as it doesn't idle . A new carb is really tempting. City Racer's carbs look really good.

My carburetor background:

I had a $700 1965 Mustang fastback as my first car at barely 15. $100 VW Beetle was first "driving" car at 16, the Mustang "restoration" took a bit...but I digress. Of course everything at that age is really prime stuff. I purchased a well used Holley 750 double pumper because it was cheap and too big, which had to be good for a 289, right?

That damn carburetor was like Christine, had a mind of its own. No matter how many times I took it apart and rebuilt it, the primary bowl would still stick and pour fuel through the vent and flood out. Regulator, gaskets, power valve, inlet seats........blah blah blah.

Carb issues became so common that I had tools and a Motorcraft 2300 with a 4bbl adapter in the trunk I could switch out in under 10 minutes.

As a hint to my youthfull temper, on the 654th time the Holley hung the primary bowl and the engine drowned to sleep on a nice city street, I calmly got my tools and back up carb. Took off the wonderful Holley, and casually smashed it on the asphalt as hard as I could so there was no chance of ever being dumb enough to try that POS again.

Moral of my story: I really wouldn't mind just putting a new carb on the old 55

I generally share your carb experience, I started putting EFI on most of my stuff long ago, but I do feel the 55 deserves a carb.

At least until I get tired of slow and go LS :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom