Pertronix vs Distributor fuel efficiency (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve run both and can’t speak to a difference. Fuel mileage does not drive this change for most folks, we make the move to get rid of points and have better reliability. Most folks here aren’t tracking fuel mileage, it doesn’t fall into a list of priorities for this type of vehicle. I think you are looking to split hairs between 9 mpg and 9.2 mpg, which can be the difference between the wind direction when driving a 50 year old brick.

I’ve run both and can’t speak to a difference. Fuel mileage does not drive this change for most folks, we make the move to get rid of points and have better reliability. Most folks here aren’t tracking fuel mileage, it doesn’t fall into a list of priorities for this type of vehicle. I think you are looking to split hairs between 9 mpg and 9.2 mpg, which can be the difference between the wind direction when driving a 50 year old brick.
I understand that. We had a points problem and got it gapped right. It fixed the cold start, backfire thought the carb, etc.

A happy byproduct is the possibility of increased fuel efficiency. I was just asking if there was any increase.

Currently getting 13 mpg

I've used a Pertronix for over 20 years but never have seen an increase in fuel efficiency. Just a good, consistent spark plus the benefit of not having to change or gap points. 13 mpg isn't bad. Aerodynamics of the 40 itself are the biggest obstacle for mpg with F series engines, I have adopted the "smiles per miles" philosophy and just fill the tank when it gets low.

Last edited:
I understand that. We had a points problem and got it gapped right. It fixed the cold start, backfire thought the carb, etc.

A happy byproduct is the possibility of increased fuel efficiency. I was just asking if there was any increase.

Currently getting 13 mpg

13mpg seems good. Did you check the timing after setting the gap?

You need to look back on why distributors went electronic. With a points style distributor accuracy of the spark was degraded by points wear, distributor lobe wear, points bounce at high RPM, not to mention incorrect points gap or dwell. In performance applications they addressed the points bounce by using dual points. They still suffered the normal wear issues.

When they went to electronic distributors, no points, the spark was triggered by magnetic or optical, hall effect, components. No more points wear, gap, or bounce issues. They were also able to provide a hotter spark which allowed for a larger spark plug gap which ignited the fuel better. The accuracy of the timing was consistent and didn't vary with age. The rotor and cap were now the only wear items.

Any increase in gas mileage when both systems were new is probably non-existent but as a points system wore, the electronic distributor would be performing better so mileage would be better than worn points system.

As previously stated electronic distributors were considered more reliable compared to points systems. The same as EFI is considered more efficient than carburetors requiring less maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom