2F Fuel Pump in FJ40 - Mechanical vs. Electronic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last weekend we put in a new sending unit. The FJ cranked right up and and drove around no problem.

This weekend we were doing some more work on the suspension and we could not get it to crank. We are not getting any fuel from the fuel pump up to the carb. We pulled the air filter off the carb and poured a little bit of gas into it and it would crank but would die as soon as the fuel we poured in and burned off.

We are thinking that the fuel pump is bad. I have had differing views on which way to go - mechanical vs. electronic fuel pump. Some of the guys that are gear head (Not Land Cruiser enthusiasts) have said to go both ways.

What is your thoughts on which fuel pump to get.

Two things.

First, don't call it an FJ. It's the reason why the pump died, the Cruiser gods are angry at you.

Secondly, buy a new OEM pump and gasket from any of the reputable vendors on this forum and not think about it for the next 30 years. If you buy electric you will then have to think of the noise it makes, mounting issues, over pressure issues and things of that nature. Whoever wants you to run both has no idea what he/she is doing.

For the record, your choice of words describing the problem is inaccurate.

When you turn the key to start, if the starter "turns over" the engine, you are "cranking" the engine whether or not it "starts up" or "fires up." This is derived from the original "hand crank" before electric starters.

If you turn the key to start and nothing happens, or the starter just clicks, it " won't turn over" or "won't crank".

So when you cranked your engine it wouldn't start or wouldn't fire up.

Two things.

First, don't call it an FJ. It's the reason why the pump died, the Cruiser gods are angry at you.

Secondly, buy a new OEM pump and gasket from any of the reputable vendors on this forum and not think about it for the next 30 years. If you buy electric you will then have to think of the noise it makes, mounting issues, over pressure issues and things of that nature. Whoever wants you to run both has no idea what he/she is doing.
It’s a truck with the antique guys to install a small electric pump to prime the mechanical- not needed on a Land Cruiser.

I run both, the electric on a toggle switch on the dash. When I go to start I flip on the electric pump and wait for the gas to get up to the carb--the sound will tell you it's up to pressure--and then I switch it off and crank the engine and it starts right up. Simple way to save battery and starter wear, and if you are ever stuck you got a fall back. I do not run both at the same time.

I have run a mechanical fuel pump for 46 years. Seems to work just fine. I would not go another route. Disconnect your fuel line from the fuel pump and see if it is moving fuel.

I have run a mechanical fuel pump for 46 years. Seems to work just fine. I would not go another route. Disconnect your fuel line from the fuel pump and see if it is moving fuel.
We have done that this past weekend that is the reason we think that the fuel pump is bad

We have done that this past weekend that is the reason we think that the fuel pump is bad
Do you have an inline fuel filter before the fuel pump and did you check or replace it?
If you remove the filter you should get some fuel flow from the fuel line. If not, the pick up tube in the tank could be clogged.
Some compressed air blown back through the line towards to tank may unclog it. If you do that you should hear the air bubbling in the tank.
If you do need a new pump I would stick with the mechanical pump only.

If you decide to go mechanical, I have one available from my '76 40 with 2f. I bought it new, and mounted it to the block during my restoration, but never connected it. It's never had fuel run through it. When I got further into the resto, I decided to go with EFI.

If you're interested, PM me.

IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg

Do you have an inline fuel filter before the fuel pump and did you check or replace it?
If you remove the filter you should get some fuel flow from the fuel line. If not, the pick up tube in the tank could be clogged.
Some compressed air blown back through the line towards to tank may unclog it. If you do that you should hear the air bubbling in the tank.
If you do need a new pump I would stick with the mechanical pump only.
no fuel filter currently, but will be adding one. If we blow into the line leading back to the tank, you can hear bubbles in the tank.

If you decide to go mechanical, I have one available from my '76 40 with 2f. I bought it new, and mounted it to the block during my restoration, but never connected it. It's never had fuel run through it. When I got further into the resto, I decided to go with EFI.

If you're interested, PM me.

View attachment 3551058View attachment 3551059
THe one that we have on there is different, it is for a 77-78 year.

THe one that we have on there is different, it is for a 77-78 year.
I believe the only difference between the 9/73-9/77 and the 9/77-1/79 is the inlet is horizontal on one and vertical on the other. So it's a plumbing issue from the tank. Probably easier to keep things the same.

It’s a truck with the antique guys to install a small electric pump to prime the mechanical- not needed on a Land Cruiser.
I have antique stuff too and am familiar with this practice, but dont follow it. In a proper functioning system the fuel will either gravity feed to the pump to prime it or the pump itself will have a manual primer rod/lever (my early 40's have this primer rod).

I have antique stuff too and am familiar with this practice, but dont follow it. In a proper functioning system the fuel will either gravity feed to the pump to prime it or the pump itself will have a manual primer rod/lever (my early 40's have this primer rod).
At the Detroit Concours, the judges didn’t like how fast the ‘72 fired up and asked if it was injected. I laughed and fessed up but wanted to ask about the percentage of the cars that had mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom