Part Number for Extended SS Front Brake Line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Part Number for Extended SS Front Brake Line?!

Howdy folks! I have read here before about a part number for an extended SS front brake line used when folks run brake plate eliminator kits. I ditched the front disc brake plate and have attached my brake lines to the calipers directly. I need SS brake lines that are a couple inches longer (mine are maxed and about 9" long), but I can't find the info/part number.

Can anyone clue me in? Know the part number?

Thanks again folks!
Cheers. Carlos

Try giving Mark A. a call? Heard he has just the right hoses in stock...

Try NAPA p/n #38881

Not braided SS, but 16" long and $14.41 each.

1072922.jpg

1088439.jpg

1088440.jpg

That's the part number I was looking for! Thanks again PabloCruise!

I ended up going with a local shop that made the lines in the pics below. They are DOT approved, SS braided with a clear plastic (?) coating. Not exactly the same fittings, but they should work. Very reasonably priced at $20.02 each. :)

P1020407.jpg

P1020408.jpg

Hmmm. It seems to me that putting a metal tube on a flexible line kind of defeats the purpose...and creates a weak link.

:hmm:

Heres an option Classic Tube: Better than ever! Their website is pretty slow but they sell DOT approved,coated, stainless line by the inch with any fitting configuration imaginable. Very fair priced, and easy to contact and speak with tech if needed. Not to take any sale from MUD Vendors, just another option.

i have all my hoses made at a local brake and hydraulics supply house. they're oem quality, dot approved,sleeved stainless, ....really nice stuff. no two-pieve fittings though like the ones you had made.

best part is, i call them with the lengths i need and by the time i drive over there, the lines are ready to be picked up.

georg @ valley hybrids

That's the part number I was looking for! Thanks again PabloCruise!

I ended up going with a local shop that made the lines in the pics below. They are DOT approved, SS braided with a clear plastic (?) coating. Not exactly the same fittings, but they should work. Very reasonably priced at $20.02 each. :)

P1020407.jpg

P1020408.jpg

Interesting.

How long are they?

The orig lines I took off my Cruiser had a date stamp on the hose (9/77). I was not sure if that was part of the DOT approval. Are your new lines date-stamped?

Heres an option Classic Tube: Better than ever! Their website is pretty slow but they sell DOT approved,coated, stainless line by the inch with any fitting configuration imaginable. Very fair priced, and easy to contact and speak with tech if needed. Not to take any sale from MUD Vendors, just another option.

Great reference.

No MUD vendors involved, just talking NAPA and a local shop that Lucy did not identify.

Thanks!

Hmmm. It seems to me that putting a metal tube on a flexible line kind of defeats the purpose...and creates a weak link.

:hmm:

Good point Mark. You are probably right. I honestly have the same reservations. I asked the guy about that and he somehow convinced me that this was a better way to do it. Something about it being stronger than the flex point on the line I brought in as an example, blah, blah blah. The more I thought about it the more it didn't seem to be a big deal, so I pulled the trigger. I figured I would get some opinions if I posted up. Still learning. I haven't installed them yet...

i have all my hoses made at a local brake and hydraulics supply house. they're oem quality, dot approved,sleeved stainless, ....really nice stuff. no two-pieve fittings though like the ones you had made.

best part is, i call them with the lengths i need and by the time i drive over there, the lines are ready to be picked up.

georg @ valley hybrids

Thanks Georg. Hmmm, that's good to know also. I had no idea the fittings on the lines I had made up were at all second rate or bunk. Definitely not feeling so stoked right now. I really do appreciate the input folks!

Thanks again and cheers, Carlos.

Pablo- These are 16" in length. The SS braided brake line is DOT approved. No date stamp though... well, there's a bunch of small print on it actually. Maybe a date stamp?

So, I may bring these back to the guy and see if he can source a different fitting on the side that has that tube extension. I guess this is not a great idea to have for this application. Do folks agree?

What about the two-piece fittings as Georg mentioned. Its safe enough right? Or should I just toss these into the rig as back-ups and buy something else?

More opinions please! :)

Cheers, Carlos

Pablo- These are 16" in length. The SS braided brake line is DOT approved. No date stamp though... well, there's a bunch of small print on it actually. Maybe a date stamp?

So, I may bring these back to the guy and see if he can source a different fitting on the side that has that tube extension. I guess this is not a great idea to have for this application. Do folks agree?

What about the two-piece fittings as Georg mentioned. Its safe enough right? Or should I just toss these into the rig as back-ups and buy something else?

More opinions please! :)

Cheers, Carlos

I think these would be great questions for the vendor who made them. Let them answer your questions.
It may be that they were unclear about the original app you wanted them for, in which case they may want to swap them out for something else.
Or it may be that they understood exactly what you wanted and thought this was the best solution. In which case you'll have to follow your intuition after talking with them.

Either way, get rid of those short brake lines you have pronto!

I think these would be great questions for the vendor who made them. Let them answer your questions.
It may be that they were unclear about the original app you wanted them for, in which case they may want to swap them out for something else.
Or it may be that they understood exactly what you wanted and thought this was the best solution. In which case you'll have to follow your intuition after talking with them.

Either way, get rid of those short brake lines you have pronto!

Arrggh. I suppose you are right.

They convinced me this was the way to go and they sounded like they knew what they were talking about. However, they may not totally get it. I may just end up buying brake lines form a Mud vendor...

Still driving around with short ass brake lines.

Thanks for the reminder Carlos. I've been running some SS lines that I had made up at my local street-rod shop. Using Earl's components. I don't know that they're DOT or what. They've gotta be 5 or 6 years old now. I had one blow out a couple weeks ago. (Well, there had been some grinding on the shock mount a day or two before, but I digress...) I replaced it, off the rack, with a similar hose.
Yesterday, I did the right thing and called Mark A. He was already bringing some parts to the 45 run for me, so adding a pair of the backplate eliminator brakelines was easy. One thing we have here on 'Mud is the wisdom and experience of upper echelon of 'Cruiserheads. To ignore that wisdom is folly. If Mark A. has found THE brakelines for my app, I want them too. Sure, I can run around town again, maybe even find the same thing. Maybe even save a buck. Not for me anymore.
I'm gonna install the best friggin' brakelines there are. You can install the best friggin' brakelines now, or later. Learn from my mistakes, buy brakelines once.

Yesterday, I did the right thing and called Mark A. He was already bringing some parts to the 45 run for me, so adding a pair of the backplate eliminator brakelines was easy. One thing we have here on 'Mud is the wisdom and experience of upper echelon of 'Cruiserheads. To ignore that wisdom is folly. If Mark A. has found THE brakelines for my app, I want them too. Sure, I can run around town again, maybe even find the same thing. Maybe even save a buck. Not for me anymore.
I'm gonna install the best friggin' brakelines there are. You can install the best friggin' brakelines now, or later. Learn from my mistakes, buy brakelines once.

Thanks Greg!

Yes, you are correct. Mud is a wonderful place. The wisdom and knowledge offered here is invaluable. You can't put a price tag on that. I've been a Mud follower for years and am privy to all of this. I love to support Mud vendors, and have many times in the past. I also support the larger Cruiser specific vendors not advertising here on Mud. I'm just happy that the forum and all the Cruiser vendors exist for us all. I have nothing against any of the vendors- just making sure folks realize this. This is not a bitch sess and I'm not pointing any fingers. I am in this mess due to my own decisions. No problem.

Of course, I realized at the last second that I needed to replace my front brake lines. I was hoping to get this taken care of days ago. I have no problem paying for quality gear/parts. I honestly wanted the brake lines ASAP and thought I could source them locally and support our local ecomomy. I had no idea there was so much involved with brake lines. Probably going to order my third pair soon... Live and learn. :)

Still not sure which route I'm going...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom